New EEC, Code 212

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Got done wiring in the new EEc from fiveologyracing.com, Took the computer a lil bit of time to learn how to idle correctly. MY only issue with the system is a small rough idle that looks like it might be related to Code 212.

I did some google searching and 212 might be caused by a bad 22k resistor, or I might need to change my TFI to one that is for the 1994 F-150.

I've seen on different forums that I will need # DY-1077.

The Bronco runs with out issue just has this KOEO 212 code,

Do I need the TFI with the 3 pins on top or do I need the one with out the upper pins?

compare_TFIs.gif

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

If this is for a 93 Bronco, use DY1075.  Confirm this here.

DTC 212 indicates a loss of IDM input to the PCM.
Possible Causes:
Open harness circuit.
Shorted harness circuit.
Damaged Ignition Control Module (ICM).
Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Is vehicle a No Start?
Yes - REFER to Section 8A for Diagnostics miesk5 Note, we need to find a member here that has access to the 93 EVTM in order to continue the troubleshooting,miesk5 NOTE; use Motorcraft BLACK CCD Modules in 94-96 Broncos.OTHER INFO:"...IDM is a feedback signal generated by the ignition system and is monitored at pin #4 of the ECM. Its purpose is to diagnose missed ignition primary pulses at the time the ECM commands the Spout signal to fire the coil. Since it is used solely for diagnostic purposes, if this circuit is not operating properly, it will not affect vehicle driveability; & by Seattle FSB- The Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) signal is a diagnostic signal for the PCM to to verify a coil firing for each PIP signal. If an erratic or missing IDM signal is received, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC 212) is set. An occasional IDM signal may not affect drivability, but can still throw a trouble code. As SigEpBlue has stated, check for an intermittent ground on the spOUT and/or IDM circuit. Also, ensure that you have the correct Ignition Control Module (ICM) and it is wired correctly to the PCM..."by SMP via SigEpBlue (Steve) & by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) "...PART NUMBERS for ICMs; the best way to determine which ICM your vehicle is wired for is to check the wiring of the vehicle. If pin #4 of the module gets a start signal (which should be battery voltage) from the starter circuit, it's a gray "Push Start" system. On the other hand, if pin #4 of the module is wired directly to pin #4 of the PCM, then it's a CCD system. This should be the same for either the distributor mount or remote mount ICM.If pin #4 of the module is wired directly to pin #4 of the PCM, simply change to a Black CCD TFI ICM and your CEL should go away (unless you have other problems as well). I recommend a Motorcraft DY1077...."DTC 212; miesk5 NOTE; use Motorcraft BLACK CCD Modules in 94-96 Broncos."...IDM is a feedback signal generated by the ignition system and is monitored at pin #4 of the ECM. Its purpose is to diagnose missed ignition primary pulses at the time the ECM commands the Spout signal to fire the coil. Since it is used solely for diagnostic purposes, if this circuit is not operating properly, it will not affect vehicle driveability; & by Seattle FSB- The Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) signal is a diagnostic signal for the PCM to to verify a coil firing for each PIP signal. If an erratic or missing IDM signal is received, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC 212) is set. An occasional IDM signal may not affect drivability, but can still throw a trouble code. As SigEpBlue has stated, check for an intermittent ground on the spOUT and/or IDM circuit. Also, ensure that you have the correct Ignition Control Module (ICM) and it is wired correctly to the PCM..."by SMP via SigEpBlue (Steve) & by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) "...PART NUMBERS for ICMs; the best way to determine which ICM your vehicle is wired for is to check the wiring of the vehicle. If pin #4 of the module gets a start signal (which should be battery voltage) from the starter circuit, it's a gray "Push Start" system

Check if the spout connector is good by running a piece of wire where the connector is supposed to go. If that doesn't help any, try checking the wiring all the way until it goes into the harness.

miesk5 NOTE; use BLACK CCD Modules Only in 94-96 Broncos

DTC 212; "...IDM is a feedback signal generated by the ignition system and is monitored at pin #4 of the ECM. Its purpose is to diagnose missed ignition primary pulses at the time the ECM commands the Spout signal to fire the coil. Since it is used solely for diagnostic purposes, if this circuit is not operating properly, it will not affect vehicle driveability; & by Seattle FSB- The Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) signal is a diagnostic signal for the PCM to to verify a coil firing for each PIP signal. If an erratic or missing IDM signal is received, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC 212) is set. An occasional IDM signal may not affect drivability, but can still throw a trouble code. As SigEpBlue has stated, check for an intermittent ground on the spOUT and/or IDM circuit. Also, ensure that you have the correct Ignition Control Module (ICM) and it is wired correctly to the PCM..."

OP
OP
Skitter302

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Been doing some google searching and had this thought,

Code 212 and 211 are different issues correct? Or could they be the same?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

DTC 211 indicates two successive erratic Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) pulses occurred, resulting in a possible engine miss or stall. Possible causes: Loose wires/connectors. Arcing secondary ignition components (coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc.). On-board transmitter (2-way radio).

ISSUE: '93-95 light truck vehicles with 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L, or 7.5L gas engines may exhibit various driveability symptoms, such as no start, no spark, hesitation/stumble/stall/miss and/or Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 211. The symptoms may occur during any drive mode or at idle. These concerns may be caused by the shielding drain wire (Circuit 48.) cutting through the insulation of, and shorting to, the Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) wire (Circuit 395) or the spark output (SPOUT) wire (Circuit 929) near the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 60-pin connector. A protruding wire from Splice 145 may also cause the same concern as the wire strand shorts to the PIP, SPOUT, or the foil wrap surrounding the drain wire. ACTION: Inspect PIP - Circuit 395 (GY/O), Ignition Ground (IGN GND) - Circuit 259 (O/R), and SPOUT - Circuit 929 (PK) for possible cut insulation from Circuit 48. Also, inspect Splice 145 - Circuit 395 (GY/O) for stray wire strands. If wire insulation is cut, exposing copper wire, repair cut insulation with 3M Mastic Tape. Refer to the following procedure for service details. SERVICE PROCEDURE 1. Disconnect battery ground cable. 2. If vehicle has the speed control option, remove the speed control servo bracket and position it out of the way for improved access. 3. Disconnect the connector at the Ignition Control Module (ICM - formerly TFI). 4. Unbolt the 60-pin connector from the PCM and pull the wiring up to work on. 5. Remove the 1" (25.4mm) diameter convoluted tubing from the wiring assembly. The date code tag will remain taped to the convoluted tubing. 6. Remove/cut the tape of the wiring assembly. Work toward the the ICM connector (pull back convoluted tubing as needed). 7. Unravel aluminum foil tape and electrical drain wire (Circuit 48.) from main bundle, exposing the junction or "Y" splice between the ICM tapeout and the PCM tapeout. Be careful with the foil wrap because it will be reused. NOTE: THE FOIL WRAP LENGTH WILL BE ABOUT 5" (127mm) BEYOND THE "Y" BRANCH. THE END WILL BE TOWARD THE ICM CONNECTOR. 8. After the foil wrap is removed, look for the three (3) "grouped" wires in question at the "Y" splice. The three (3) wires are: PIP - Circuit 395 (GY/O), IGN GND - Circuit 259 (O/R), and SPOUT - Circuit 929 (PK). 9. Locate the (bare) electrical drain wire. Wire end is toward the ICM connector, again, about 5" (127mm) from the "Y" splice. Unravel wire from the top (ICM) end and down to the area where the bare wire makes contact with the three (3) wires mentioned above. 10. Inspect for any damage to the insulation of the three (3) wires in question. If wire insulation is cut, exposing copper wire, repair cut insulation with 3M Electrical Moisture Sealant-Mastic Tape (3M Part No. 054007-06147). 11. Inspect Splice 145 - Circuit 395 (GY/O) for stray wire strands (Figure 3). If stray wire is found, apply pressure on the wire with pliers to bend the wire down and wrap the splice with three (3) layers of flame retardant vinyl tape, or equivalent, to ensure the wire does not make contact with other wires or the foil wrap. 12. Carefully rewrap the bare electrical drain wire and foil. Work backward, toward the ICM connector end. Tape end of foil wrap to secure. 13. Retape worked area securely (between PCM and ICM connectors) with flame retardant vinyl tape, or equivalent. 14. Reinstall all convoluted tubing and tape ends of tubing to the tubing with flame retardant vinyl tape, or equivalent. 15. Reinstall PCM connector to the PCM. 16. Reinstall the ICM connector. 17. Reinstall the speed control servo bracket (two bolts) if applicable, and tighten bolts to 15-18 N-m (11-13 lb-ft). 18. Reconnect battery ground cable.

If you need the depictions, let me know.

OP
OP
Skitter302

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I might of had a loose wire in the 60 pin PCM connector but its hard to tell at this point.

Swapped the gray TFI out for a new Black one, have gone 7days with no issue. I'm almost to the point that I can start taking long road trips in the Bronco Again.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Is your Bronco a 93?

Bad thing about the last update to this site is that each member's  Bronco info is gone.  It used to be displayed below avatar and in member's profile, but is gone now.  And Favorite Bronco Year" often doesn't reflect actual hear. 

OP
OP
Skitter302

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Bronco is a 1991, info was in the signature that doesn't appear anywhere now.

Fav Bronco year is 1993, Has the body style commonly supported by the After Market parts manufactures. Was also the last year before FoMoCo added airbags.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

ok, 91.  Did you purchase it new? Asking because a previous owner or shop may have swapped a 94 - 96 engine in.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

I know.  Did you purchase the 91 new? Asking because a previous owner or shop may have swapped a 94 - 96 engine in. Along with an EEC, Ignition wiring, distributor, etc, that would account for why the black ICM runs engine better.

OP
OP
Skitter302

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm the 4th or 5th owner of the Bronco, I've been wanting to swap in a different ecu for a long while now. Problem is all the companys that made a kit back in 2004-2008 when ecu swapping was all the rage most of them are gone now. Thankfully fiveologyracing is still in business. The opportunity really presented it self when one of the caps leaked out onto my board. Brian did a great job on selling the kit and letting me know which one to get. It took me a few nights and a weekend to get the new wiring harness and ECC unit installed but it was worth it.

I contacted Brian about my 212 code and he said that was a common problem with the Gray TFI and the new ECU that are from a 1995 MAF 5.0 F-150. He sent me a wire and some instructions, I found a Black TFI from a Ford dealer in CA, (nos part) and shortly after the part arrived I installed the new TFI.

Also found a few other loose wires and patched them up. Since installing the new Black TFI I havn't had the 211 code.

The engine was rebuilt by a shop under the 3rd owner of the Bronco. That was 45k ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke