Hot or Hard Wiring my Rear Window to the Truck Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freedomgirl

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to find a thread from earlier today. Someone Posted that they got so frustrated they hot wired the rear window to the car battery. I am right at that point. I have to travel 1800 miles, and need to access the back daily, and I am out of time! Can anyone help me figure out how to do this? Thanks, Nancy

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like their is power always going to the rear. You can use the key in the tailgate to activate the switch. If your trying to use the dash switch with out putting a key in the ignition you'll need to jump the AUX power wire in the ignition switch.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Nancy,

The tailgate latch switch on the driver's side seems to be a common problem, It keeps the window from being moved when the tailgate is open, & if not latched right, it'll keep the window from working at all. Try pushing the driver's side of the tailgate in while holding the button or key switch in the up or down position. 

Push on metal panel about 6 inches down from top edge.

If no go;

Remove the access panel from inside the tailgate. Run test wires from cordless tool battery, another battery or battery charger directly to the window motor connector. Yellow with small red striped (Red/Yellow) & red with small yellow stripe (Yellow/Red) wires coming right out of the motor. To lower the window, it should be positive to Red/Yellow, & negative to Yellow/Red. Be ready for the window to move, keep hands & wires clear. If it tries to go the wrong way, reverse the wires.tgmotorwiring.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/692844/original/tgmotorwiring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Saw your message. 

To add a simple self-diagnostic capability, wire a 12V lamp (incandescent - NOT LED) across the safety switch terminals, and mount it in the tailgate shell above the lock cylinder in the inside sill (through a carpet retainer hole if present). If either control switch is activated, and the only thing preventing the glass from moving is the safety switch, the lamp will light and be visible to a person using either switch.latchindicator.jpg . latchlighu.jpg

The troubleshooting I included does take tine I know.  Connectors' terminals corrosion is common.

GL!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom