3rd row options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diymirage

Reaction score
im sure this is covered before but i have a few specifics that  i want to clear up 

so the main problem is family size, we got 3 kids and grandma, makes 6 of us 

at first i thought i would put a third row in like the cool old station wagons, facing backwards 

the genius of this idea is of course accessibility, i could put grandma and the baby on the second row, drop the tailgate and have the older kids climb in the back 

the wife seems to think a rearward facing 3rd row is dangerous, so we 86th that idea, but i did get the OK to put it in facing the front 

a second concern i have is visibility 

this is my plow truck and i tend to drop the rear window and look out there while backing up...and i do a lot of backing up when plowing 

so i want something that wont block my view 

i guess i should also mention seatbelts 

i probably should have them 

so far, i have seen someone use 2 sets of tahoe 3rd row seats (one as a 2nd, and one as a 3rd row) and i think those will fit the bill (but maybe not the budget) 

what are you guy's thoughts on this?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
.*** Buckets in an 83; "...I put a 3rd row in my 86 Bronco. I used two 3rd row seats from 2004 tahoes. They go in and come back out in a matter of minutes or they can just fold down. The best thing is that they have shoulder belts for when the top is off..." 

2nd-row-seats.jpg

​

□□□

Hummer H3 3rd Row Seat 

We no longer have a need for a 3rd row seat in the bronco. We have the hardware, seat belts (seats 2 small children) not really comfortable for adults. It's great if you have 3 kids and need to separate them. We bought the extra hardware so we could remove the seat or put it back in easily. I ordered this online from http://www.jatdesign.net/Paid over $500.00 for it. by Calisa

Url

Tag

Img

Thumb

dsc05137.jpg
DSC05137.JPG | Hits: 1075 | Size: 41.96 KB | Posted on: 3/14/06 | Link to this image

Url

Tag

Img

Thumb

dsc05138.jpg
DSC05138.JPG | Hits: 1293 | Size: 42.49 KB | Posted on: 3/14/06 | Link to this image

Url

Tag

Img

Thumb

dsc05141.jpg
DSC05141.JPG | Hits: 1014 | Size: 38.2 KB | Posted on: 3/14/06 | Link to this image

Url

Tag

Img

Thumb

dsc05142.jpg
DSC05142.JPG | Hits: 936 | Size: 45.31 KB | Posted on: 3/14/06 | Link to this image

Url

Tag

Img

Thumb

dsc05143.jpg

■■■

Jump Seat pics; "...I've seen at least 3 Broncos (not including mine) with these same seats in them (with belts), so I assume it was a rare factory or dealer option. Then I found them in an extended-cab Datsun pickup, and I know those were factory because of how they were mounted, and the backrests. know it would be fairly easy & very safe to turn the back seat around, but IDK if another Bronco back seat would fit as a 3rd-row. Remember that the passengers need some legroom, so measure from the back of the FRONT seats to the back of the BACK seat, and that's how much room you'd need for another fullsize row. You could afford to lose some of the legroom, but not much. Whatever you put back there: take a look under your bed to see how the original seats are mounted (i.e., how the floor is reinforced), and do something similar for your new seats. Those jump seat bases are large enough that I only had to put thick fender washers underneath for them & their belts..."

jumpseatdown.jpg

I'm still not sure if these were a factory option, a dealer option, or an aftermarket option. I've only seen 2 other FSBs with them, and both were '80-86. I know they were original equipment on Datsun/Nissan king cabs, and I know these had upholstery that matched the rest of the Bronco that I took them out of, but that might have been custom-made. What's on them now is.They're surprsingly comfortable & secure, according to everyone who has ridden in them. Even the ones who rode here during some ROUGH off-roading.I originally sandblasted & fiberglassed them because the bases were horribly rusted, and then I painted them. But all the tool boxes & cargo I've hauled wore a lot of the paint off.The biggest DISadvantages to these are that I can't use an aftermarket molded cargo area mat, or the stock '92-96 bedwall panels because of their pockets.

jumpseatup.jpg

jump-seat-frames.jpg

●●

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
is there any way you can link the thread on the yukon seats? i cant open it 

on a side rant, i hate dealing with craigslist "vendors" 

there is a guy selling a 3rd row seat from a yukon 5 miles from me and he wont reply my emails, or text 

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
ok, i got rolling on this 

the plan is to get two sets of seats from the yukon/tahoe truck and replace the stock back bench with a 50/50 split, and put a full bench in as a third row 

i picked up the 50/50 split for $100 bucks, and will keep an eye out for the bench 

for now, im going to bank on both using the same mounting points and try to figure out how to mount the 50/50 in as a 3rd row 

im thinking door strikers is the answer 

they should give me the height i need and be sturdy enough to hold the seats down, as well we be easily obtainable, not break the bank and not look cobbled together 

as soon as there is some progress i will toss some picture up 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo D,

Check e may for mounts because 

06:28 PM 08-18-2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by EODTRAVELER 
Very sweet on the Tahoe seats. How much modding did you have to do to make them fit? If I can find TWO third row seats i'm going to do it. How much did you pay?
Bronco-In-Training replied, 

"I got both sets of tahoe seats on Craigslist. There always seems to be some on there because I guess some people don't need them. It took quite a bit of fabrication on the middle row because the front of the seats mount over the ledge. Total cost for both sets was about $650. I was going to try and fab up the mounting brackets, but I decided to just buy some off ebay."

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Considered doing that, 2 reasons I don't want to 

First of, cost. It seems the going rate for a set of brackets is 50 dollars, and I need 2 of them 

More importantly, they would not be a direct bolt on 

On the tahoes, these brackets lay across a pocket, and the latch of the seats Goss in that pocket, so if I want to use the stock brackets I would need to either raise them up, or build those pockets into the floor 

Either way, it would require more work then going with door strikers 

(Not to mention, I used to work for a company that makes these for GM, so I think I can get 24 matched ones for a good price)

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
in this video you can clearly see how the stock mounts are almost flush with the floor 

i understand it is nice to have a flat loading area, but it just isnt a concern for me, so i think the strikers are the way to go (in my application) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKDqmEvUoI

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
got the third row in 

if it ever stop raining ill toss up some pics 

i decided to use square U bolts instead of door strikers, because it was one less thing to buy 

it all went pretty easy once i dropped the gas tank to get at the nuts in the back 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke