top weight and removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diymirage

Reaction score
im trying to come up with a way to remove the top on my own without breaking my back 

(i have a rolcage in the bronco, so i cant go underneath) 

so, first of, what does it weigh? 

im thinking of buying two of these and mounting them to the rafters 

if i put the pulleys closer then the top is wide, it should pinch and tighten as it goes up, no? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lift-Bike-Bicycle-Ceiling-Mount-Pulley-Hoist-Rack-Garage-Storage-Hooks-Hanger/172387478223?epid=15016215841&hash=item2823182acf:g:EakAAOSwhfhZwdwu

i figured the hooks can catch on the drip edge by the windows 

thoughts? 

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
The Top is about 125lbs.

The best way would to have the ability to hook the front and back of the top and pull up on it and drive out from under it. Kinda blank on how to make that theory work. My only worry about the item you have a link to is that it might be too light.

Here is an idea:

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo diymirage,

Lift, one man in a 90 Source: by 90Beater (Topher, Chris)

I've taken the top off the Bronco by myself before but it's big, awkward and heavy so I decided to make a lift for easy top removal. I went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of cables, clamps hooks and a hand crank winch.

I started by welding a 1 x 2" piece of rectangular tubing between the pipes on the covered parking on the side of my house. I drilled the center hole and put the eye bolt in before I welded it in place.

bronco_top_lift_001.jpg

I then drilled and installed four more eye bolts for the cables and two more for the winch cable. I then rand the cables, clamped them together with clips and put four more eye bolts in the 2x4s as shown.

bronco_top_lift_002.jpg

My first attempt at harnessing the wires didn't work out so well. I had to rework it.

bronco_top_lift_003.jpg

OK that fixed it. This is in the lowered position. All four corners come up evenly. Without the Bronco top on there I could pull it up by hand.

bronco_top_lift_004.jpg

I had a problem with one of the cables **** a 180 bend binding and bent two eye bolts. I had to rework it a little with a couple pulleys.

bronco_top_lift_008.jpg

Half way up and I had to do a little adjusting to get it level.

bronco_top_lift_006.jpg

A little $20 Harbor Freight hand cranked winch makes it easy.

bronco_top_lift_007.jpg

All the way up.

bronco_top_lift_009.jpg

I tied it down just to be secure.

bronco_top_lift_010.jpg

■■■

Lift, one man in a 91 Source: by California Monkey (Richard, Mama Cass) 

Now that I live far from friends, I now need a way to take my top off ( quagmire.gif ) without the aid of another person. I also didn't want to store the bronco top in the backyard where my dog would **** all over it. I could store it on saw horses but it gets windy out here and it's an eyesore for the neighbors. I didn't want to store it on the garage floor because of the rediculous amount of space it would take up negating even having a bronco. yada yada wackidy smackidy, here's what I did.
First off, the supplies.....
Normally, I'd be stingy jewish.gif on my materials on a project but this being a possibly dangerous storage system, I refrained from using materials based on price. Everything used is strong enough to hold the weight of the top by itself so hopefully if something fails, my top won't drop and possibley cause thousands of dollards worth of damage. 100_0438.jpg100_0439.jpg100_0440.jpg100_0441.jpg100_0442.jpg100_0445.jpg100_0446.jpg
I also had some lumber laying around left over from a fence I recently built. 2 2X4's and 2 4X4's along with some scraps of 2X4 is all your really need. 
The you need to plot out where you are going to put this contraption. Basically, my 2 car garage is going to be a 1 car garage and shop. The car parks on the left and the shop being on the right. I backed in my bronco and place the back end as close as I could without it obstructing the door or my ability to open the tailgate.100_0434.jpg100_0435.jpg100_0436.jpg
Also, make sure you won't be obstructing your garage door from being able to open and close as well as making sure your roof or rafters are tall enough that your top won't be a head splitter if you don't pay attention while your around it. Luckily, my garage has plenty of head room 69.gif and is plenty deep enough for the door and the top to co-exist.100_0437.jpg
Start the build by prepping the boards. Drill a 1/2" hole at each end of both 2X4's making sure the top has a good 10-12 inches of play from the eye-bolts.100_0447.jpg
Make shift work station100_0448.jpg
Then set-up the eye-bolts along with some nice thick fender washers100_0451.jpg
Depending on the length of your 4X4's and the distance between the rafters and the distance apart from each other you want the lifting boards to be, you need to draw out where your drop points are going to be. I plum-bobbed to find out where on the rafter would be straight up from the lifting points and marked it on the rafters. Then figured out I wanted 55 inches between my lifting boards and marked them to where it would be hitting any of the rafters when in place. 100_0452.jpg
Then I cut the eye-bolts to allow the pully to slide on to the eyelit. 100_0453.jpg
Then set-up the 4X4's the same way I did the 2X4's with the fender washers and modified eye-bolts. Lift them into place on top of the rafters with the pullies facing down. 
Now, I was a boyscout. In boyscouts I learned that I **** at doing knots and they shouldn't be trusted. Because of what I learned I went a different route for attaching the ropes to the eye-bolts. 100_0454.jpg
They work great and were only $.50 each. 
Now loop the rope through the pully and drag up your board until you can tie off the loose end of the board.100_0457.jpg
Once all four are done, do a quick measurement to see if the "make believe" box you created will allow the top inside of it still. 100_0458.jpg100_0460.jpg
I then back the bronco up, slide the boards under the top (hard to do with a roll bar, impossible with roll cage) and start lifting the corners one at a time a little at a time (first big irritation). The top became unstable so I used some small peices of 2X4's as stops on the outside of the corners to keep the top centered. I plan on actually wood screwing the top to the boards to keep them completely locked down and stable. 
After struggling for a while making slow progress, I found my ratchet straps and strapped the corners with those to do the lifting. What a huge difference! BangHead.gif 
Now the ratchet strap lift the corner and then I just continually tie the rope off shorter each time I lift it. Once in place, I leveled it out and double checked my head clearence100_0475.jpg
A whole lot! icon_thumleft.gif I'm pretty sure I could pull in with another top on my bronco and not hit the 2X4 cross members. 100_0470.jpg
( this is where I left off)
Future plans;
1. Make rope tie offs clip-on's instead of clamps making it easier to get boards in place
2. Finish the final tie-offs with clip on locks so I know where to stop each time. 
3. Might do some dual pullies to "****** block" the ratio down making it easier.
●●●

Camper Shell & Sliding Side Windows > shellback.jpg

File 10 of 52 
Prev | Next

Url

Tag

Img

Thumb

Flag as inappropriate

shellback.jpg
shellback.jpg | Hits: 2051 | Posted on: 1/1/12 | View original size (580.44 KB)

This is how I prefer to carry a Bronco camper shell: alone with its rear lip resting on my shoulders. I'm holding onto the lower rear corners (top front as I'm holding it) to stabilize it as I walk, and to keep its front edge (bottom rear) from hooking my heels.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
thanks guys 

that is exactly what i had in mind, except, i cant run the two 2x4s underneath it because of the roll cage 

thats what i liked about the bike lifts, they seem to have little hooks that i thought might fit under the top 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke