Extended Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
Thanks for the help on previous post all. I am closing in on getting the rig back up and running. It has been in garage without running for about 2 years and wanted to be sure I covered all my bases before firing the beast up.

I've just installed new fuel tank. Also will be filling tires up, changing oil and charging battery. Are there any key items I need to check before turning the key? I have never had it sit so long before, unfortunately the day job had been in the way. Thanks for any tips!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
There is a way to pump up the oil pressure prior to start but it involves R&R'ing the dizzy.

OR- You can pump it up a bit by pulling the ctr. dizzy wire..., then crank the eng. a bit. You may see a flicker in the oil pressure gage.

Put the wire back on & fire it up.

How's the carb..?  Someone should watch while cranking so as to be sure it isn' t  over flowing due to a stuck float or needle-n-seat.

Don't want any "fire"   ;)

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Thanks for the info,

Will be working on this in the next week. I watched a few vids on extended storage and starting the engine...would your recommendation be to change oil before or after? 

I figured before, but I am starting the wonder if it would be better after oil has had a chance to warm up a little. That way I can drain all the gunk out during the change. Any advise on previous experience or thoughts?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I don't think it much matters.., the weather is warm so I'd drain it, put in the new oil & pour a bit in the new filter (not much 'cause it sits on an angle.) & go for it.  A strong charged batt. helps.

Again, a helper to watch for anything unusual while cranking/starting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke