dumb question about engaging the front axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diymirage

Reaction score
87 Bronco 

351 auto 

manual hubs

let me run this by you guys, see if i understand it correctly 

in order to shift from 2H to 4H i need to lock both front hubs 

what would happen if i run the transfer case in 4H with the hubs free? 

will it just act as a "open rear end" spinning whatever wheel has the least traction, or will this cause actual damage?

and i guess the same goes for running with the front hubs locked in 2H, any negative effects of this? 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Manual Hub OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS: ONLY use fingers to turn dials. DO NOT USE PLIERS. Set the hublock dials to FREEand transfer case to 2-high for all driving that does not require four wheel drive. To engage four wheel drive set the hublock dials to LOCK and set the transfer case to 4-high or 4-low. Return the transfer case to 2-high before disengaging hublocks. Do not drive on hard surface roads in 4-wheel rive because it can cause drive train damage. Do not move the vehicle if the hubs are anywhere between FREE and LOCK or it will damage the hublocks. Driving with only one hublock engaged can cause drive train damage. Driving with the hublocks in Free ™ and transfer case in 4-low can cause drive train damage. To ensure lubrication of the front axle, engage hublocks for a minimum of one mile monthly..."  Source: by Warn®

Many owners when driving on  in snow/icesurfaces and then getting on dry surfaces usually keep hubs locked, then shift to and from 4x4 high.  Some drive train wear can occur, but I haven't anything happen since buying our 96 new and driving in a snow state.

"...The t-case disconnects the front driveshaft from the transmission, and the hubs disconnect the axleshafts from the wheels. The driveshaft is ALWAYS connected to the diff & axleshafts. Depending on how tight your diff is, both axleshafts MAY turn when you turn the d'shaft while BOTH hubs are unlocked, but at least one of them has to no matter what. If the d-shaft won't turn with both front wheels off the ground (or the hub locks removed), then the t-case is still in 4. If either axleshaft won't turn with its hub UNlocked AND the t-case in 2 or N, then that hub is stuck locked. I suspect you'll find some carmelized grease, and some surface rust on the lock rings, and probably a spring or 2 heavily rusted, to the point that they're ruined. But that's just a guess. Take both hub locks OUT of the hubs, and then roll the truck a little. You don't need to remove the tires, or even jack the front end up since the locks don't bear ANY weight. If the d'shaft still turns, the problem is in your t-case....."by Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke