Bronco keeps dying and wont start now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eaglesc25

Reaction score
I bought a 96 bronco with a 351 windsor. Everything was fine with it until i installed the radio. Then it all the sudden started dying at random moments. So naturally i thought it was the alternator, replaced it. Still happening. So i replaced the battery. Still happening. I used to be able to get it started and keep it running by giving it gas but once i let it idle it would die. Eventually after keeping my foot on the gas as i shift i could drive it. But as soon as i stop at a stop light it dies... today it started up fine. Still had to give it gas at idle. But i drove it and everything was good until i gave it some gas and got the rpms up to about 3/4k. Then it just died.. i cleaned the terminals and everything. Checked my grounds. And now the only thing that happens when i turn the key is my fuel pump turns on and my dash lights turn on and the starter relay clicks. Thats it. I know the starter is bad but i dont know why the truck is dying.. please help

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Eaglesc25,

Welcome!

Did the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on while driving? If yes, borrow or purchase a code reader and post codes found.  Some mom and pop parts stores will loan you a reader if a repeat customer, with a deposit.

Same for a vacuum gauge.  One 

One way to do a quick check is to grab a vacuum gauge. Bring the engine to normal operating temperature. Connect gauge to the intake manifold tee. BEWARE OF FAN, BELT, PULLEYS & HIT ENGINE.

The vacuum gauge should read between 15 and 22 in-Hg depending upon the engine condition and the altitude at which the test is performed. SUBTRACT ONE INCH FROM THE SPECIFIED READING FOR EVERY 1,000 FEET OF ELEVATION ABOVE SEA LEVEL.

The reading should be quite steady. .

When engine is rapidly accelerated (dotted needle), needle will drop to a low (not to zero) reading. When throttle is suddenly released, the needle will snap back up to a higher than normal figure.

When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the condition. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause conditions such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly. Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost.

Some no code usual suspects by Ford;
Vacuum leak.
Air filter, is it relatively clean?
Air inlet atop radiator support to filter box and to throttle body; look for obstruction; or damaged tubing/air leaks between filter and throttle body,
Fuel quality; Oxidized fuel often turns darker over time and may even smell sour. You can check stored gasoline by pouring some into a clear glass container and comparing it side-by-side with known fresh gasoline. If your old sample looks noticeably darker than the fresh gas, you have strong evidence the gas has gone bad.
Electrical connectors; inspect at coil, ignition control module, PCM, etc. especially those with broken locking tabs.

Al

image.png

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

One more possible perpetrator, Idle Air Control (IAC).

Overview in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Series & Bronco Vehicles Workshop Manual; "...The idle air control valve (IAC valve) (9F715) is used to control engine idle speed and dashpot functions. The idle air control valve is mounted on the throttle body (9E926) and allows air to bypass the throttle plate. The amount of air allowed to bypass the throttle plate, will be determined by the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) and will be controlled by a duty cycle signal. Use of unapproved solvents may damage the IAC valve..." see depictions of cleanable and non-cleanable units. See more @ 

Overview in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Series & Bronco Vehicles Workshop Manual; "...The idle air control valve (IAC valve) (9F715) is used to control engine idle speed and dashpot functions. The idle air control valve is mounted on the throttle body (9E926) and allows air to bypass the throttle plate. The amount of air allowed to bypass the throttle plate, will be determined by the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) and will be controlled by a duty cycle signal. Use of unapproved solvents may damage the IAC valve..." see depictions of cleanable and non-cleanable units

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/stj3e010.htm

Removal & Installation in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Series & Bronco Vehicles Workshop Manual; "...Disconnect negative battery cable. Disconnect the idle air control valve assembly connector from the wiring harness. Remove the two idle air control valve retaining bolts. Remove the idle air control valve (IAC valve) (9F715) and gasket. Installation: NOTE: If scraping is necessary, be careful not to damage sealing areas of idle air control valve or throttle body gasket surfaces, or drop material into throttle body, or intake manifold. Make sure that both throttle body and idle air control valve gasket surfaces are clean. Install gasket and idle air control valve on throttle body (9E926) or intake manifold surfaces. Install retaining screws. Tighten to 9.5 Nm (84 lb-in). Connect electrical connector for the idle air control valve. Reconnect negative battery cable..." 

Removal & Cleaning Source: by Bobby (blue) at http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=3982&s=17193

Possible DTCs:

DTC P0505 - Idle Air Control System Malfunction; "... The PCM attempts to control engine speed during KOER self-test. The test fails when the desired rpm could not be reached or controlled during the self-test. IAC circuit open VPWR to IAC solenoid open IAC circuit shorted to PWR Air inlet is plugged Damaged IAC valve Damaged PCM The IAC solenoid resistance is from 6 to 13 ohms..."

P1504 - Idle Air Control (IAC) Circuit Malfunction This DTC is set when the PCM detects an electrical load failure on the IAC output circuit. IAC circuit open VPWR to IAC solenoid open IAC circuit short to PWR IAC circuit short to GND Damaged IAC valve The IAC solenoid resistance is from 6 to 13 ohms. IAC valve stuck open Vacuum leaks Failed EVAP system Damaged PCM

DTC P1506 & P1507 Idle Air Control Overspeed Error & Overspeed Error; "...A vacuum leak, a damaged IAC assembly, a stuck IAC valve or throttle valve typically sets one or both of these codes. The IAC can be checked with a scan tool, sensor tester or multimeter. A vacuum leak is one of the most common causes and can be checked with a vacuum pump..."

Idle or Noise Problems & Troubleshooting; including HIGH IDLE Conditions; "...For high idle problems, try unplugging the IAC motor. If the idle drops, its usually due to an input signal to the computer which results in the computer raising the idle speed. If this is the case, look at all of the computer inputs to make sure everything is up to par. If the engine RPM does not drop when the IAC motor is disconnected, then either the IAC motor is not functioning properly, or, there is a vacuum leak in the engine. Stop the engine, remove the IAC motor and block off the passages. Restart the engine to see if there is any change in engine RPM. An idle speed higher than base idle specs indicates a vacuum leak. If the engine RPM is at base idle specs, then the IAC motor is bad. Resistance specs are 7-13 ohms. A good resistance reading does not necessarily mean that the IAC motor is good. Occasionally, an IAC motor will become weak, and will actually bypass too much air, causing a high idle condition even though everything else is operating properly..."

OP
OP
E

Eaglesc25

Reaction score
I figured it out it was the distributor. Thank you though!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo