Shuts off After run and restart idle than erratic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gjmodular

Reaction score
92 Bronco 351 Windsor, just started doing this last couple of weeks after driving say 10-15 miles than restarting and driving engine shuts off, can restart than at like 60 MPH RPM are all over the place goes from 2000 than 1500 than back up wile driving at constant speed, let your foot off gas and acts like it wants to shut off, foot back on and surges. Got codes off it for 63,16,26,66,41,11,36.

Any ideas, the mass air flow code confuses me cause I did not think my 92 has a MAS.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo G,

Welcome!

You are right, no MAF in the 92.

Ford went from two-digit to three-digit EEC IV codes in 1991 to service the increasing number of service codes required to support various government On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) regulations. The phase-in from two-digit to three-digit codes started in the 1991 model year and is largely complete except for some medium/heavy trucks that will retain two digit codes through the 1994 model year.

Try self test again. Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.  The chain parts stores won't test 92s anymore.

For just the RPM surges;

Check for vacuum leaks: see my vacuum line leak test at  

scroll down to my post dated Posted October 9, 2013.

One way to do a quick check is to grab a vacuum gauge. Bring the engine to normal operating temperature. Connect gauge to the intake manifold tee. BEWARE OF FAN, BELT, PULLEYS & HIT ENGINE. The vacuum gauge should read between 15 and 22 in-Hg depending upon the engine condition and the altitude at which the test is performed. SUBTRACT ONE INCH FROM THE SPECIFIED READING FOR EVERY 1,000 FEET OF ELEVATION ABOVE SEA LEVEL.The reading should be quite steady. .When engine is rapidly accelerated (dotted needle), needle will drop to a low (not to zero) reading. When throttle is suddenly released, the needle will snap back up to a higher than normal figure.When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the condition. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause conditions such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit, such as the power brake, the unit will not function correctly. Or Air Conditioning when in MAX mode may switch to Defrost.•

OP
OP
G

gjmodular

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I did check for vacuum leaks and found one and repaired it but no change. The return vapor line from my fuel tank is rusted real bad and thought I might change this out as I suspect it may be leaking, not sure if this would cause the symptoms and will try and pull the codes again. Ill let you know what I come up with.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno