My Heater stopped working and then

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kimberlydurso

Reaction score
all i wanted to do was go home for christmas. i had my oil changed, the oil filter changed, some other filter ( i have no clue about vehicles) when i got in to leave the heater was blowing ice cold. then the thermostat was stuck and after a new thermostat its still leaking and theres still no heat

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Kimberly,

Welcome! Sorry to hear about the issues.

Do you have someone to assist you with the following?

ENSURE coolant level is ok.After running engine to normal operating temperature; BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS;

Engage parking brake.FEEL heater water hoses. If the heater water hoses are too hot to hold, the thermostat is OK. If the heater water hoses do not get too hot to hold, REPLACE the thermostat. If only one heater water hose gets hot while the other remains cool, a plugged heater water hose or heater core is indicated.Heater water hoses.CHECK condition and routing of hoses . Visually inspect condition of heater water hoses for pinched or collapsed conditionsCHECK COOLANT FLOW THROUGH HEATER COREStart vehicle and allow to reach normal operating temperature.Place temperature control **** in the full warm position.Grasp inlet and outlet heater water hoses. Both heater water hoses should be warm to the touch due to coolant flowing through them.If all checks out, the temperature blend door may be stuck closed.

Depending upon its position, the temperature blend door in the heater air plenum chamber directs a given amount of air through the heater core to provide a desired amount of heat. If the amount of air directed by the blend door through the heater core is reduced, less heat will be directed into the passenger compartment.Conversely, a fully open blend door, in response to a fully WARM setting of the temperature control ****, will provide maximum heat into the passenger compartment.Blend Door; "fully lower the glove box, pull the 8 screws from the heater core cover, & look inside to the L (driver's side). ventilation8086.jpgright-kick-modules.jpgYou'll see the cable & control lever (in top L of 2nd pic) as soon as you fold the glovebox down, so inspect it first. dash-rear-r.jpgThe 3rd shows the whole cover - it's the large section in the top center with tiny white numbers inked near its bottom edge..."

The thermostat gasket may be damaged.  Or the surface it rests on wasn't cleaned.

Thermostat 

Installation

1. Clean the water outlet water hose connection gasket surfaces. Coat a new water hose connection gasket with Perfect Seal Sealing Compound B5A-19554-A or D7AZ-19554-BA or equivalent meeting Ford specifications ESR-M18P2-A or ESE-M4G115-A.
  1. Position the water hose connection gasket on the intake manifold or cylinder head opening.
  1. Install the water thermostat in the intake manifold opening with the copper pellet or element toward the engine (6007) and the thermostat ****** positioned in the recess. If the water thermostat is improperly installed, it will cause a ******** flow of coolant.
  1. Position the water hose connection against the intake manifold (9424) and install attaching bolts. If a 7.5L engine, tighten bolts to 32-37 Nm (23-38 lb-ft). For all other engines, tighten bolts to 16-24 Nm (12-18 lb-ft).
  1. Install the water bypass line and tighten hose connections.
  1. Fill and bleed the cooling system as described in Cooling System, Draining, Filling and Bleeding in the Cleaning and Inspection portion of this section.
  1. ani_caut.gif WARNING: DO NOT STAND IN LINE WITH OR NEAR RADIATOR FAN BLADE WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING.

Operate the engine until normal operating temperature is reached; then check the coolant level and check for leaks.

Thermostat Installation, 5.0L/5.8L Shown

q4051b.gif

Item

Part Number

Description

Water Outlet Connection Gasket

Water Outlet Connection

****** 5/16-18 x 1.25

Water Thermostat

***** 5/16-18 x 1.75

A

Insert with Copper Pellet Towards Engine