Hardware plating question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Got some self lubricating rod ends nickel plated and now it’s no longer greased and difficult to manipulate tho not impossible, also some of my bolt threads are rusted from being dipped in acid prior to plating, each bolt only has one rusted thread(at the point where the wire it was hung by wrapped around the thread) could that one rusted thread cause the bolt to fail, this hardware is for suspension/shock hoops, shouldi just get new hardware? It also discolored and hardened the nyloc on some of the nyloc nuts

Also anyone have any input on the porosity in this weld? Would it compromise the welds integrity?

F4AE648F-C9D3-4904-BD2E-04BF361AC00F.jpeg

1CF8FA28-CDF8-444C-BA8B-16DADF7C208D.png

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
SORry forgot to attach the weld pic, nevermind file too big to upload, its about three holes in the weld the size of a small paper clip tip to fit in, its in the rear caliper mounting bracket where the Protruding threading is welded into the substrate

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I don't see any possible issues with what you've described.

HOWEVER... don't have a clue what this means..? :huh:

"Got some self lubricating rod ends nickel plated and now it’s no longer greased and difficult to manipulate tho not impossible,"

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
That rod end has an internally greased ball that swivels but the plating process stripped the grease and damaged the nyloc

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
My #1 question is ...Why?    It appears that you are building a show truck.  If so you need to understand that in the course of making things bright and shinny you may have to compromise in other areas.  I.E. the plated rod ends will look great,  but may not have their best use or longest service in heavy off roading or racing.  Same goes with the caliper brackets.I don't think the welds are compromised, ( just my thought, not any guarantee.)

You can clean off the rust in the bolt threads. If it is superficial I think it's a non issue as Bully has said.

The rod ends could be drilled, tapped and zerk fittings installed to grease them. ( The permanent grease is not viable any longer anyway.) 

What is your intended use for your Bronc?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
Haven’t decided what the trucks gonna be used for quite yet, I’ve been doing a lot of grinding and sanding with wire cups, grinding discs, and detail sander, I’m almost ready to paint the undercarriage and return most of the rust converter I purchased. Right now I’m removing all the hardware and replacing it all with domestically manufactured yellow zinc grade8 hardware and ARP fasteners and getting a lot of parts plated with electro-less nickel but I’m about to start doing the rest in black nickel cause it’s starting to get too shiny under there and I don’t want it to end up looking like a low rider.

Next it’s going to the mechanic to replace entire braking system, fuel system, power steering, rcv axles for the d44 up front, still haven’t decided what to do with the rear axle which is currently a ford 9”. Been thinking about building a dart sbf iron eagle but it starting to seem like a bad idea, even started considering the jon kaase boss 9 but seems like a 408 stroker would be the best bet. Then after I decide on the engine I’m gonna get painless wiring and all the front end top end stuff. Then get custom headers and exhaust, then ship all that to Jet-Hot for coating.

While it’s at the mechanic I’m sending the np-435 and Dana-20 to get rebuilt, I’ve considered changing the tranny/transfer combo but Ive heard bad things about the nv4500 and still doing homework pairing an np435 with the atlas options. Then it’s going to the fab shop for suspension, heim steer, roll cage(welded to frame), custom bumpers and possible crawlers edge or throttle down frame swap if it makes sense but I really don’t know what I’m doing. I guess at the end of the day I just wanna take it out to the deer lease in the Texas Hill country and moderate mudding in east Texas swamps and towing around a 15 ft John boat but I’m having the suspension built by a Baja racing/pre runner fab shop in southern California. I’m kinda just doing everything and gonna just see what happens, regardless, the result should be unique/interesting

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
Been looking for a plating company that can plate an entire frame with electroless black nickel. I think that kinda gives a good idea of what kinda build I’m working on. I’m really ocd and detail oriented and before I take any step, I have to learn every facet of that decision on every level down to information usually reserved for engineers. This is my first time doing something like this and I feel like everything I’m doing is a huge extravagant mistake but I’m having fun between the meltdowns of wanting to give up and claw my eyes out, it’s actially kinda funny cause I’m not putting a single dollar into the body except the undercarriage and inside of the body panels that I’m sanding/coating

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke