89 5.0 with a miss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aroby0618

Reaction score
What's up guys. I just received an 89 with a 5.0 in it that has a miss in it. I went to pull the rotor cap to look for corrosion or what not and noticed that the #1 plug wire is on the post to the drivers side of the post marked #1 and it follows firing order with all being 1 post to the clockwise position of what I would call their normal post.

Maybe this is a manufacturer issue with the cap. I don't know, but thought I would come ask some of you bronco experts that may have seen this before.

I do have an 89 f150 here I looked at yo make sure I was not crazy and it is lined up #1 to the post marked #1.

Has anyone seen there or no a common problem some one would do this to for a reason?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Aroby, Welcome.

I think the distributor was removed at one time and not clocked properly when installed. If the timing is correct and the wires are in order that is not the cause of the miss.  You will have to isolate the cylinder that is missing and go from there.  It sounds like some inexperienced hands had worked on the truck before. You may have to sort out other things but that is much of the fun for many of us.  Congrats on your new Bronc and good luck. 

OP
OP
A

Aroby0618

Reaction score
Thank you sir. That was my first guess but it never hurts to ask for a second opinion.

A "34 year mechanic" owned this before a friend bought it and I ended up with it. So I thought may be there was something he had done there.

I have good spark at the plugs, if I have time I'm going to swap the fuel rail over from the f150 that runs fine on the next day or 2.

Are there any common issues past the basics with these engines that days misfires?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Aroby0618,

The #1 plug wire as you described bothers me.

Would you consider re-stabbing the distributor?

See http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page71

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

Some basics;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to: KOEO & KOER

Without a DTC;

Are plug wire routed as shown on decal atop radiator support?

See http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/5180/32495

Vacuum leak, see my leak diagnosis link in post #20 @ http://broncozone.com/topic/23994-90-58l-getting-continuous-code-33-and-running-code-44/?p=125535

OP
OP
A

Aroby0618

Reaction score
It threw no codes at all with any of the test. The distributer being off really concerned me also.

I narrowed it down to being the number 8 cylinder by pulling plug wires and then confirmed by unplugging injectors that I could get to.

The next step I am going to take is to go ahead and start tearing the engine down and see what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Aroby0618

Reaction score
Its brand new. From the previous owner. It also has a new plug wire going to #8

OP
OP
A

Aroby0618

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay been working. Its still at about 18 psi with little fluctuation

OP
OP
A

Aroby0618

Reaction score
Also I went ahead and restabbed the distributer to eliminate that. Nothing changed. I put my multimeter to work on the injectors and they read the close to the same down the 5678 side. I will be pulling the valve cover and checking on valve movement and measure it to see what I got

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
If the vacuum gauge is steady the valves and internals should be good.  Try switching the #8 plug wire with another wire to see if the missing cylinder changes.

I'm thinking the the problem is the plug wire. Better to do the easy stuff before getting into the engine.

OP
OP
A

Aroby0618

Reaction score
I have tried sealing the plug wires. The previous owner had replaced the #8 wire with what appears to be a new wire. The other 7 are accell wires that don't appear to be very old. It has a new coil on it. I agree with the easy stuff. I'm just running out of options.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Have to ask about tge plug wire routing since I didn't  see an affirmative reply.

Service Bulletin Number: 90-4-14 Bulletin Sequence Number: 009 Date of Bulletin: 02/90 
NHTSA Item Number: SB011916 
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:OTHER PART Summary: 
SPARK KNOCK OR ENGINE MISS CAUSED BY INDUCTION CROSS FIRE-THIS OCCURS BECAUSE OF MISROUTED SPARK PLUG WIRES-FIRING ORDER OF 5.0L ENGINE THAT 8 SPARK PLUG FOLLOWS #7 SPARK PLUG-PLACING WIRES #8 AND #7 NEXT TO EACH OTHER AT SEPARATING BRACKET M AY INDUCE CROSS FIRE-CHECK POSITIONS OF #7 AND #8 SPARK PLUG (ASF-42-C) WIRES AN D REROUTE CORRECTLY IF REQUIRED-ALL 1987-90 FORD BRONCO/E150,250/F150,250 TRUCKS 

upper case is by Ford.

OP
OP
A

Aroby0618

Reaction score
Sorry got auto corrected. Tried switching the plug wires. I have made sure they were separate so that no cross firing is occurring.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66