Fuel gauge and voltage gauge not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j-rod

Reaction score
Its a 89 5.0L efi Eddie Bauer. Just wondering if there is a common issue with this before I drop the tank to check the senor/float. My last bronco had the brass barrel float that had a hole in it, but since the volt gauge isn’t working either I’m wondering if it’s something else.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
If one gauge isn't working its safe to blame the sending unit or sensor involved in that area. But if you have 2 or more gauges not working I would look into the gauge cluster and wiring. Its rare to have 2 issues at the same time but possible. If you need a wiring diagram I bet I could find one and post it. their are also other threads here in the Zone that might also have a diagam you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo j-rod,

See 1989 EVTM, Emissions & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial by mrnewland1 in Google Drive @ https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0Bz1eScc6s4raOHd0WlVnMUw4WjQ?usp=drive_web

Slow scrolling. Find page # of item desired in contents, then flip screen flip down like spinning a bearing then stopping periodically to see what page you are on.

Here is an excerpt;

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=21140

EDIT; is the coolant gauge working?

Also having issue opening the Evtm. But could be due to high wind and rain.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey J,

The fuel and voltage gauges have a straight ground. ( don't pass through a sender or other resistor).  I would suspect the ground to those. The wiring shows it is a common ground. Often a bad or weak ground will cause these problems.

Good Luck

OP
OP
j-rod

j-rod

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you everybody for the replies.

Ron, it looks like that’s where I’ll start. Now does anybody know where ground G701 is located lol?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo j,
G701 is Behind Instrument Panel near RH side of Radio.
G701 also serves heater control bulbs, ashtray lamp, instrument cluster, tailgate window motor, etc. So, if they all operate, next is to:

inspect wiring to both  gauges.

pull the cluster and check printed circuit board, etc.

Gauge Removal info in 80-96; "...The PSOM, lens, blackout ring, terminal clips, shifter plates, bulbs & holders are interchangeable between cases. 87-96 gauges are only held in by their terminal clips, except the speedo. 80-91 speedos are held in by 2 screws; ) 

9gwu9e.jpg
Here is the diagram http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=25057

OP
OP
j-rod

j-rod

Reaction score
So I pulled the cluster and plugged in a spare one I have, and the voltage gauge started working fine but the fuel went all the way pegged past full, then after cycling the key a few times it went back to empty. So it looks like the problem is with the cluster itself. I stuck the original back in because I’d like to keep the mileage accurate if possible. Does anyone know how to repair just those two gauges on the cluster?

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Ebay would have the parts you need but I don'tknow what kind of skill is needed to change out the parts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke