Frame on rust repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So my body has a decent amount of surface rust on the inside of the panels, frame has some too. My current plan is to sand it till I see clean metal, and clean it with metal prep, but I don't wanna prime it myself for fear of doing a sloppy job and the coat not looking uniform, is it ok to just get it to bare metal, clean it and leave it, or does the exposure to the atmosphere immediately begin oxidizing the surface.

My method is gonna go as follows:

Degrease frame, axle housing, drivetrain component housings, t-case, drive shaft, etc

Then clean off degreaser with dawn/water, then rinse that off with boiling water and rags

Then wipe it dry and start sanding frame/body, maybe some loctite naval jelly (not sure what this can offer that elbow grease and sanding blocks can't) sand down to clean metal, clean with metal prep, then I'd like to just leave it as is but I've been told it starts oxidizing immediately once the bare metal is exposed to the atmosphere(even indoor garage)

?)

I'm nervous about priming it myself cause I don't wanna remove brake/fuel lines etc but I don't want it to look sloppy, I also don't wanna use aerosol primer cause I dont trust my capabilities to spray the coat evenly, is there a good brush on primer y'all recommend that has a nice looking finish for undercarriage or should I just tape off all parts I don't wanna get overspray on and just spray away with aeresol primer

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"...or does the exposure to the atmosphere immediately begin oxidizing the surface."

YES....

"...don't wanna use aerosol primer cause I dont trust my capabilities to spray the coat even"

Doesn't matter.., you re-sand smooth things you don't like B4 a final coat.

BTW primer doesn't hold out moisture.

There is a "brush on" supplier (can't remember the name just now) that has all the diff. coatings

especially for simi-rust areas. Seabronc used this as I recall.

Spraying is fine as well.

Thats what I do.., mask off the areas/parts as needed & spray away.

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
Should I apply paint or some type of spray on bedliner or undercarriage coating, I don't want it to look too textured, any product recommendations?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke