87 5.0 efi no fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

briggs74

Reaction score
Ok just became a new member. So what I have Is a 87 bronco 5.0 efi auto that is not getting fuel. I have everything new from fuel system to ignition system. I have power at all points and plusing at the injectors new Ecc, MSD coil, MSD distributor, fuel pumps, filter, regulator, injectors, etc. Have 40 fuel psi. Timming good and it runs fine on starting fluid but won't run on it's own. Any Ideas.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo briggs74,

Welcome!

Fuel pressure looks good, so Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

Post Code(s) here according to:
KOEO
&
KOER

A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.
BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS

If no related codescodes, see http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/how-to-troubleshoot-a-no-start-1

The noid light is needed.  Avaipable at local Radio Shack or e bay.

OP
OP
B

briggs74

Reaction score
Already tried to do the codes but got nothing no lights on the dash. This is a new computer. It will run on starting fluid but no fuel going in to the motor

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Ok, does the new computer (EEC IV) have the same Calibration Code as the original?

Location pic; on EEC IV; with Ford Part Number 
eecsticker2.jpg

by marnefist 
OR look at ORIGINAL Calibration Label Sticker on driver's door jamb or door and compare.
calibration-code.jpg
pic by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB)

You wrote, "no lights on the dash".  Does this mean no gauge lights or no check engine light?

If the CEL is burned out, connect CEL © to a 12V test light, and the light's other terminal to a 12V source on the same vehicle.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/245234/fullsize/dlc-eeciv.jpg

Did you try these tests?  I mentioned it in my first reply;

see http://troubleshootm...ot-a-no-start-1

The noid light is needed.  Available at local Radio Shack or e bay.

You originally wrote in first post, "[SIZE=29.645px]Have 40 fuel psi".[/SIZE]

but you wrote in your second post, "[SIZE=29.645px]It will run on starting fluid but no fuel going in to the motor"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=29.645px]How did you measure 40 psi?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=29.645px]Did you turn key [/SIZE][SIZE=29.645px]to run, then c[/SIZE]onnected FP Relay (terminal A) to any ground (like terminal E) to force the fuel pump(s)?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

briggs74

Reaction score
I'll have to check the computer tommrow The check engine light did not come on so I did the test with a test light and the only code was 11. Now I measured the fuel psi with a snap on gauge, but I did not ground the pumps. I'll try it tommrow and let you know. Thanks

OP
OP
B

briggs74

Reaction score
Ya I looked it up. I just can't find anything else to check . The computer is the right one. I'm going to go and do a check on everything. I don't understane how it just quit and won't run.                  Ok just went through everything Still the same except I got code 22 and 53 . Now those parts are new. Only starts on starting fuil.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

DTC 22 indicates the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)/Barometric Pressure (BARO) sensor is out of Self-Test range. Correct MAP/BARO range of measurement is typically from 1.4 to 1.6 volts. Do NOT use an ordinary voltmeter to check a Ford BP/MAP sensor because doing so can damage the electronics inside the sensor. This type of sensor can only be diagnosed with a DVOM that displays frequency, or a scope or scan tool. Also make sure engine manifold vacuum is within specifications at idle. If vacuum is unusually low due to a vacuum leak, ******** ignition timing, an exhaust restriction (clogged converter), or an EGR leak (EGR valve not closing at idle). A low intake vacuum reading or excessive backpressure in the exhaust system can trick the MAP sensor into indicating there is a load on the engine. This may result in a rich fuel condition. A restriction in the air intake (such as a plugged air filter), on the other hand, may produce higher than normal vacuum readings. This would result in a load low indication from the MAP sensor and possibly a lean fuel condition. Possible causes: circuit open between sensor vehicle harness connector and PCM. circuit shorted to VREF, SIG RTN, or GND. Damaged MAP sensor. Vacuum trapped at MAP/BARO sensor. Unusually high/low barometric pressure. Kinked or obstructed vacuum lines (MAP). Basic engine (valves, vacuum leaks, timing, EGR valve, etc.). High atmospheric pressure. Damaged PCM. VREF circuit open at MAP sensor. SIG RTN circuit open at MAP sensor. The pinpoint test directs you to check the voltage to the MAP sensor. With the MAP sensor connected, use paper clips to back probe the MAP connector so you make contact with the terminals inside the connector by inserting the paper clips into the bak of the connector. This allows you to get voltage readings while the connector is plugged in. The other option is to use straight pins to pierce the insulation of the wires. First check the voltage of the outer two wires of the MAP connector by connecting a voltmeter to the clips or pins you have inserted. You should see 5 volts with the key on. This is the power to the sensor. The BLK/WHTwire provides a ground called Signal Return (SIG RTN on EEC), it will show 0 volts with the black probe on negative battery terminal. The 5 volts VREF (ON EEC) (Reference Voltage) is supplied on the ORG/White wire. The Signal the computer reads is on the middle wire, DK BLUE/-Lt GRN (MAP on EEC). The correct MAP/BARO range of measurement is typically from 1.4 to 1.6 volts on the Signal (middle wire). If any of the voltages are out of range, there is a wiring problem that needs to be tracked down and repaired. These three wires all go back to the computer. The signal wire (middle) is the only one not shared by other sensors, it goes straight to the computer. The Signal Return and VREF are also provided to other sensors..."

53;

KOEO, TPS circuit above maximum 4.5 volts.   X   KOER, TPS circuit has intermittently failed above maximum 4.5 volts. Do this http://www.fullsizebronco.com/f by SeattleFSB/blogs/seattle-fsb/681-throttle-position-sensor-management.html

OP
OP
B

briggs74

Reaction score
WOW thats alot to take in. I'm going to check it all out and see how it reads out. I'll be bringing it to my buddies garge on wednesday to work on it. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for all the info.

nelbur

Reaction score
Already tried to do the codes but got nothing no lights on the dash. This is a new computer. It will run on starting fluid but no fuel going in to the motor
My '86 has no check engine light.   Not sure about an '87.   On these early EFI trucks pulling codes is not simple.   Mine uses a volt meter or test light.   Not sure how to do yours, but check out the procedure.

OP
OP
B

briggs74

Reaction score
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO I'LL USE IT ALL WHEN I SIT DOWN ON WEDNESDAY AND FIND WHATS WRONG WITH THE BRONCO. I ENDED UP USEING THE TEST LIGHT FOR THE CODES. WISH ME GOOD LUCK I'LL NEED IT. I'LL POST WHAT HAPPENS AND WHAT I DID FOR THE NEXT GUY.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Ok, will be here Wed in morning and occasionally in afternoon.  Will be at doc on Thursday  for most of the day.

GL Briggs! 

OP
OP
B

briggs74

Reaction score
Well I'm back, so far I found a pulseing ground on the injection side. Everything else seems fine. Just waiting for my friend to come back to finish up. Let you know soon what I find out. 

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke