New member needs help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodger1

Reaction score
Hello Bronco family my name is Joe and I live out in Nuevo California. I own a 1994 Ford Bronco which I'm proudly the second owner of this beautiful truck that I own. About a week ago I noticed that every time I drove my truck it kept on trying to bog out on me like if there wasn't any fuel going through the lines so what I did was a full tune up changed the gasoline pressure regulator and added a new gas filter. After spending all this money on the maintenance of my beautiful truck it's still a keeps doing the same thing every time I take off it lags like if it's not getting gas then out of nowhere it starts driving fine as I'm driving it keeps doing the same thing what can this problem be? It is killing me and I hate to see my baby in bad shape can anyone please help!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Joe, Welcome!

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded

A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.
BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS!

Some buy a code reader at local parts stores.  

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.
Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.
Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:
KOEO
&
[SIZE=34.2507px]KOER[/SIZE]

[SIZE=34.2507px]•[/SIZE]

Some no code usual suspects by Ford;

Vacuum leak, see my leak diagnosis link in post #20 @ http://broncozone.com/topic/23994-90-58l-getting-continuous-code-33-and-running-code-44/?p=125535

One way to do a quick check is to grab a vacuum gauge. Bring the engine to normal operating temperature. Connect gauge to the intake manifold tee. BEWARE OF FAN, BELT, PULLEYS & HIT ENGINE. 
The vacuum gauge should read steady between 15 and 22 in-Hg 

One indication of a large leak is when ac flow comes out through defroster vents instead of dash vents.

Air filter, is it relatively clean?
Air inlet atop radiator support to filter box and to throttle body; look for obstruction; damaged tubing, 
Fuel quality; Oxidized fuel often turns darker over time and may even smell sour. You can check stored gasoline by pouring some into a clear glass container and comparing it side-by-side with known fresh gasoline. If your old sample looks noticeably darker than the fresh gas, you have strong evidence the gas has gone bad.
Electrical connectors; inspect at coil, firewall, PCM, etc. especially those with broken locking tabs.

•

May need to test fuel pressure.

Bronco Fuel pressure:
Running: 30-45psi
Key on engine off: 35-45psi
Attach test lead to FP lead on self test connector. Make sure test lead is long enough to reach work area under vehicle

Grounding the FP lead at the connector will allow the pump to run continuously with the ignition switch on.

a9465b.gif

-Turn key to RUN position
-Ground test lead and read gauge.

Read http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/how-to-test-the-fuel-pump-1

Glance through page 1, but read page 2.  When you "rent" a tester, ask counter person if there have been any complaints of accuracy.  Ensure all fitting are included.

Next time, please fill out your Signature with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
Click your name in right black panel in upper right;
In pop up,
Click, My Profile
Click, Edit My Profile in right side black panel
In left panel, Click, Edit Signature
Enter info
Click, Save Changes

To post a pic from your PC, TABLET, etc., just below the reply box in lower right corner, click More Reply Options
Screen will change
See Attach files
pick out the pic
Click Attach This File

or click, Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9).

GL!

Al

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke