68' grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatbroncokid

Reaction score
Just finished restoring the 1970 bronco, so now I have some time to start working on my 68'. Its got a 351w out of a 74 galaxy, and I think its a c4 automatic. (lol definitely an auto, just don't know what kind). After getting a new starter out of an 82' f150 since mine was shot, I started it up for the first time in probably 6 years. The sound that followed from the starter/flexplate/torque converter, was absolutely awful. I've made a youtube video showing exactly what it sounds like and hopefully somebody knows what the **** is going on with this thing, because I'm at a complete loss. I know its not the starter not disengaging, because I bridged the ignition wire to the other side of the solenoid so it stayed on after the motor was started, and it was a totally different noise. The other noise didn't go away when I did this, it was just a compound noise of grinding from different parts of the truck.

Here is the link for the video:

Thanks!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
OUCH...!!

Those shiners on the flexplate gear are a clue.

I know there's several starters & it has to be the right one..., along with the flexplates number of teeth,

and, I think the bellhousing

There's auto starters & stick-shift starters. Some have longer noses.

You'll likely have to identify that trannie, then talk to  www.Advancedadaptors.com  to find out what's 

needed to make these units happy hooked together.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke