Idles great, bogs down on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genthree

Reaction score
Been running great all spring.  Just gradually getting more sluggish during acceleration.  Now it is almost like timing is totally off.  Here is what I have done so far:

Replaced; plugs, wires, coil, vacuum lines on top of motor, fuel filter, added octane booster to gas

Took off the carb (holley 2bbrl) cleaned and inspected (little dirty, but not terrible); blew it all out with carb cleaner;

Checked timing, check vacuum advance at dist,

Pulled valve cover on drivers side to check for broken lifter spring (I have a ticking sound in the valve train near #5)

I played around with the mixture and didn't seem to help/hinder

Over the winter I rebuilt the 302 and the C4; it is still shifting at all the correct points so I don't think I have a vacuum issue.  i dont' have a gauge but I will get one this weekend and double check.  Haven't checked compression yet,

I think I am going to pull the carb again and go thru it a little better.  

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Sluggish underway or rev'n in neutral...., or both..?

All I can think of at this time is Holley power valves can be a bit sensitive.

Drivetrain isn't draging/binding some how is it..? Like a wheel/axle bearing or the rear end.?

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
it bogs down even on light acceleration, just in neutral if I give it a quick throttle is bogs almost like it is choking itself out.  I have a manual choke and it's open....  I may just put another rebuild kit in the carb and see if that helps.  

Timing is steady, steady at idle and while revving the engine I can see the vacuum advance working and it is also steady.

can't be a plugged exhaust, because, once you get thru acceleration it seems to run good....  The more I type the more I think it must be the power valve....

How you been?

Had another kid graduate from high school so most of the spring was getting ready for that...

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Doing good here.,

Sounds like all's well up your way.

Power valve or maybe the accel. pump., or both.

The float level is adjustable via the top/exterior.

Check to see if it didn't slip out of adj. if ya didn't already..

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Yeah I think I just need to retune the whole carb.  I was running SOOO stinking good!!!  I was even letting the kids drive it to school...  

I will just put is a new rebuild kit, I am sure even a slight vacuum leak in either one of them will cause me huge issues....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke