1981 stuck in four high?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillDM

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum, hoping you guys could shed some light on a current problem I'm having.

I recently bought a 1981 bronco with a 351m.

The truck was running fairly well for the first few months or so before it began to bog down and refused to accelerate after driving for periods of around 30 min or so. I brought it into a local mechanic. They diagnosed the problem and replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wiring, and the ignition coil. When I got the truck back i noticed a nice increase in power, and thought my problems were solved... 

But then i noticed the 4x4 indicator on the dash was on and the truck was in four high after driving on dry pavement for about 15 minutes. I stopped the truck, put it in neutral and and attempted to move the transfer case lever up to 2 high. It would move into what seemed like the correct position, but the truck wouldn't move when shifted into drive or reverse, just kept at that higher idle like it does in neutral and revs when the accelerators pressed.

I checked the manual hubs to see if maybe they needed to be moved up into free position, but they were already free. I tried moving in reverse in 4 high, and then shifting into 2 high, but still failed. The manuel hubs were free during the whole situation. Do they need to be locked in order to shift out of 4 high and then released? Do i need to be moving in order to make the transfer? Or do i have some sort of greater issue? Any advice on getting the truck back into 2 high would be greatly appreciated. 

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bill, Welcome! I assume it's a NP 208. See attachments on diagnosis & fluid level check.

Screenshot_20170615-070411.png

Screenshot_20170615-070002.png

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members