Two annoying issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjg8675

Reaction score
I have two annoying issues I need help with for my 95 bronco 351w

Issue 1 - Serpentine belt chirps when cold, belt chirps when warming up in the morning (not a squeal, definitely a "chirp"). I have noticed wear marks along the edges of the belts that I think is where the chirp is coming from (I have read might be misaligned pulleys, but all look okay from eyeball view). I have replaced tensioner and idler pulleys and belt multiple times, also water pump, a/c pulley and p/s pump but the chirp keeps coming back (stays quiet for a little while after getting new belt, but keeps coming back).

Issue 2 - Windshield wipers run almost every time I start the engine or when turning key to accessory position (usually 3 swipes, sometimes just 1).

Like I said just annoying issues, but would like to get them fixed and at least need a starting point for correct repair. Thanks in advance for help

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo TJG, Will reply in 2 posts in case my screen refreshes and I lose the info. This is by Ford; "Belt Chirp: Misaligned power steering pump pulley. ALIGN power steering pump pulley according to power steering pump pulley alignment procedure. ... Power Steering Pulley Alignment SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED Description Tool Number Steering Pump Pulley Remover T69L-10300-B Steering Pump Pulley Replacer T65P-3A733-C A chirping noise from the accessory drive belt that is more noticeable at idle than at higher speeds may be caused by a power steering pump pulley (3A733) that is out of alignment. The misaligned power steering pulley causes the accessory drive belt to chirp as the belt enters it on an angle on 4.9L engines, or after it leaves the power steering pump pulley, travels over the water pump pulley (8509) and enters into the crankshaft pulley (6312) on an angle on 5.0L and 5.8L engines. Verify that the chirping noise is coming from the entrance to one of these two pulleys by listening through a length of rubber hose or another stethoscope-like device. If the chirp has been isolated to one of these pulleys, then correct this condition by aligning the power steering pump pulley using the following service procedure. NOTE: Accessory drive belt chirp not corrected by this procedure may be caused by a damaged pulley or bent accessory shafts. Steady pulsation of the drive belt tensioner (6B209) indicates this condition. Observe each pulley in the system for runout. CAUTION: Do not sand the edges of the drive belt or apply lubricants or dressings. These are only temporary fixes and may damage belt. Clean the accessory drive belt (8620) with mild soap and water to wash away oil or other contaminants. On some models, it may be necessary to remove the fan shroud (8146) to allow for proper installation and operation of the power steering pulley puller and installer tools. Using Steering Pump Pulley Remover T69L-10300-B and Steering Pump Pulley Replacer T65P-3A733-C set the power steering pump pulley hub to within ±.010 inch of being flush with the end of the power steering pump shaft. CAUTION: Damaged accessory drive belts should be replaced before proceeding to Step 4. Only use a closed-end wrench to lift the drive belt tensioner to avoid possible damage. A wedged screwdriver will crack the pulley or the housing. Operate the engine (6007) at idle for five (5) minutes to see if chirping noise has been corrected. If not, proceed to Step 5. Select a direction and move the power steering pump pulley at .50mm (.020 inch) increments in that direction. After each move (increment), remove the tool and operate the engine for five (5) minutes. If chirp fades, alignment is being achieved; if chirp increases, reverse the alignment direction. Continue moving the pulley until the noise is eliminated. Reinstall the fan shroud." ...

Check NAPA, ADVANCE AUTO, etc for the pulley remover/replacer tools.

Advance Auto has the 

Powerbuilt Tools Power Steering Pulley Puller  Part No. 648644

I didnt check NAPA

GL!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
Wipers:
Possible Perpetrators; 
Windshield wiper motor.
Wiper control module.
Multi-function switch.
 aka Turn Signal Switch
Check that windshield wiper motor and wiper control module connectors are fully seated.
Disconnect windshield wiper motor.
With wiper switch at OFF, check continuity of Circuit 28 (BK/PK) to 56 (DB/O) and Circuit 61 (Y/R) to 57 (BK) at motor connector.
Is there continuity?
Yes REPLACE windshield wiper motor. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
No GO to G3.

G3 CHECK CIRCUITS TO WIPER CONTROL MODULE

Check continuity of Circuits 28 (BK/PK), 56 (DB/O), 61 (Y/R) and 57 (BK) from windshield wiper motor to wiper control module.
Is continuity OK?
Yes GO to G4.
No SERVICE circuits as required. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

G4 CHECK CIRCUITS TO WINDSHIELD WIPER SWITCH

With wiper switch at OFF, measure resistance between Circuits 589 (O) and 933 (BR/W) at wiper module.
Is resistance 45k ohms to 50k ohms?
Yes REPLACE wiper control module. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
No GO to G5.

G5 CHECK CIRCUIT CONTINUITY

Check continuity of Circuits 589 (O) and 993 (BR/W) between wiper switch and wiper control module.
Is continuity OK?
Yes REPLACE multi-function switch. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
No SERVICE open circuits. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

Refer to the following electrical schematics when performing diagnostic pinpoint tests. 

Interval Wiper, Washer Circuit — Except F-53 Motorhome

k19009d.gif

Wiper Control Module Connector

k20323c.gif

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function 1 589 (O) Multi-Function Switch Mode 2 65 (DG) Ignition Power (Hot in ACC or RUN) 3 57 (BK) Ground Circuit 4 941 (BK/W) Windshield Washer Pump Motor Feed 5 57 (BK) Ground Circuit 6 — Not Used 7 993 (BR/W) Multi-Function Switch (Common) 8 56 (DB/O) Wiper Motor LO Speed 9 590 (DB/W) Multi-Function Switch (Internal Mode) 10 61 (Y/R) Wiper Motor (Common) 11 65 (DG) Ignition Power (Hot in ACC or RUN) 12 — Not Used 13 28 (BK/PK) Wiper Motor Park Switch 14 58 (W) Wiper Motor HI Turn Signal and Windshield Wiper Switch Connector

miesk5 Note, Ford tries to cconfuse us owners by referring to the turn signal as the [SIZE=23.9997px]Multi-Function Switch (MFS) depending on how they wake up each morning.[/SIZE]

k22996b.gif

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function 1 589 (O) Multi-Function Switch Mode 2 15 (R/Y) Headlamp Dimmer Switch Feed 3 13 (R/BK) Headlamp Dimmer Switch to Low Beams 4 993 (BR/W) Multi-Function Switch (Common) 5 12 (LG/BK) Headlamp Dimmer Switch to High Beams 6 590 (DB/W) Multi-Function Switch (Internal Mode) 7 196 (DB/O) Instrument Panel Lamps Feed

Wiper Motor Connector 
k23027b.gif

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function 1 57 (BK) Ground Circuit 2 28 (BK/PK) Wiper Motor Park Switch 3 65 (DG) Wiper Motor Power (Park Feed) 4 61 (Y/R) Wiper Motor Common (Run) 5 56 (DB/O) Windshield Wiper Motor LO Speed 6 58 (W) Windshield Wiper Motor HI Speed

Wiper Control Module (WCM) Location pic in 92-96;

right-kick-modules.jpg

"...Fold your glove box all the way down & look low to the right. In this diagram, it's the farthest thing to the Left, and the line for C280 runs right across it..." 

Source: by Ryan M (fireguy50)

WCM Overview, Common Failure & Related Components to Check; Appropriate fuses (see Shop or Owner's Manual for fuse layout), Wiper/Multi-Function Switch (MFS), Appropriate electrical connections to the wiper motor for 95-96.  

OP
OP
tjg8675

tjg8675

Reaction score
Thank You for the info Miesk5, I will check it out over the weekend

OP
OP
tjg8675

tjg8675

Reaction score
Hi All, Just to follow up if anyone else needs the info,

issue #2 was fixed with a new Motorcraft SW5591 Turn Indicator Switch ($93.34 on amazon)

And issue #1 hasn't been acting up since cleaning crankshaft pulley and belt (I used some alcohol, but I hear acetone works well too),

I will update if stays ok or chirps again

onto other projects...(see next post)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo