Bought another bronco, working out the bugs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonLawson84

Reaction score
2 weeks ago i bought a 95 EB with 351 auto, truck is in amazing shape.  I have noticed a couple issues with it and was seeing if there is any guidance twords it.

1 - the door chime box was diconnected, once reconnected it chimes any time the door is ope, (ignition and lights both off)

2 - occasionally, there is a 5 tone beep on startups that goes 5 times.

3 - The ABS light has been on, found a missing fuse.  replaced and will test drive later today to see if that clears, if not i have the proceedure to read the code.

I found some added wiring under the dash and a reset button (directly under shifter) looks like old alarm someone pulled out

IMAG1720.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Don,

Congrats!

1. How long does the chime sound off?  Look for 

Connector Corrosion @ driver side seatbelt retractor panel

[/URL]1474783_img.jpg
Source: by Jem270

See these chime wiring diagrams in a 95 by Seattle FSB

1995-bronco-661-warning-chime.jpg

1995-bronco-662-warning-chime.jpg

Unplug the chime connector, release the terminal(s) of the function you want to disable, tape it(them) back to the harness, & re-connect the chime.

Key in [URL="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/13/0/19/DealFrame/DealFrame.cmp?bm=367&BEFID=96424&acode=349&code=349&aon=&crawler_id=208580983&dealId=t2DZNHMoJEUDelfVrOaWEA%3D%3D&searchID=&url=https%3A%2F%2Fautoplicity.com%2F9178729-nachman-sm-01112-ignition-coil-polaris%3Futm_source%3DShoppingCom%26utm_medium%3DCSE%26utm_campaign%3DShoppingComNOFITMENT&DealName=Nachman%20Sm-01112%20Ignition%20Coil%20Polaris&MerchantID=507376&HasLink=yes&category=0&AR=-1&NG=1&GR=1&ND=1&PN=1&RR=-1&ST=&MN=msnFeed&FPT=SDCF&NDS=1&NMS=1&NDP=1&MRS=&PD=0&brnId=2455&lnkId=8070676&Issdt=170519050504&IsFtr=0&IsSmart=0&dlprc=28.13&SKU=9178729"]ignition = Bk/Pk
Parking lights = Br
Driver's door = R/Pk
Driver's belt = Br/LB

Door jamb pin switcswitch may be stuck closclosed or door hinges are worn

If the key buzzer/chime is always on (even when the key is out & the cylinder bezel is properly aligned), then the contact has probably come loose from the steering column, and is grounding against it (1). With the cylinder assembly & column shroud removed, the contact belongs fully in the channel under the cylinder with its upper tab hooked over the column's debossment (2). The tab commonly breaks, but even if it's intact, it's a weak retention method which can be improved easily by the addition of a zip-tie (3). Ensure the contact touches the switch on the cylinder when the cylinder is inserted (4). Finally, ensure the zip-tie does not interfere with the column shroud (5).

The lock cylinder catch pin (6) is accessible through a small hole (noticeably smaller than the ***** holes) in the bottom of the column shroud.
See the NEXT several pics & captions for lock cylinder repair...@ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1045646

2. Air Bag Testing, Wiring Diagram, Operation & Troubleshooting for 94-96; "The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) continually monitors all supplemental air bag restraint system components and wiring connections for possible faults in the system. If the air bag diagnostic monitor detects a fault in the supplemental air bag restraint system when the key is in RUN, a diagnostic trouble code will be displayed on the air bag indicator, located in the instrument cluster (10849). Performing system diagnostics is the main purpose of the air bag diagnostic monitor. Note: The air bag diagnostic monitor does not deploy the air bag in the event of a crash. The LH and RH primary crash sensors are hard wired to the air bag; therefore, the LH and RH primary crash sensors and RH safing sensor and bracket sensor (also called the Rear Air Bag Sensor) determine when to deploy the air bag. Features and functions of the air bag diagnostic monitor are described below. * The air bag diagnostic monitor illuminates the air bag indicator for approximately six seconds when the key is in RUN and then turns the indicator off. This shows that the air bag indicator is operational. If the air bag indicator does not illuminate or the indicator stays on or flashes at any time, a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor. * Diagnostic trouble codes may not be displayed for approximately 30 seconds after the key is placed in RUN. This is the amount of time the air bag diagnostic monitor requires to perform all tests and verify system faults, if present. * Each diagnostic trouble code (a series of flashes and pauses of the air bag indicator) represents a two-digit number. Each diagnostic trouble code is always displayed at least twice. For example, a diagnostic trouble code 32 is displayed as three flashes, followed by a one-second pause, then two flashes, followed by a three-second pause. * If a system fault is present and the air bag indicator is malfunctioning, an audible tone will be heard, indicating that system service is required. The tone is a series of five sets of five beeps. This does not indicate a diagnostic trouble code 55. If the tone is heard, the air bag indicator is inoperative and a system fault that requires service is present. CAUTION: The thermal fuse does not blow (open) because of excessive current flowing through it. DO NOT attempt to jumper out the thermal fuse with a circuit breaker or any other type of fuse. * If a fault exists that makes unwanted air bag deployment possible, the air bag diagnostic monitor has an internal thermal fuse that will blow (open) automatically. This removes all power to the air bag deployment circuit. * The air bag indicator will flash the appropriate diagnostic trouble code to indicate the suspect circuit. If the indicator is malfunctioning the tone will be heard. * Diagnostic trouble codes are prioritized numerically so if two or more different faults occur at the same time, the fault having the highest priority will be displayed first. After that fault has been corrected, the next highest priority fault will be displayed. * The air bag diagnostic monitor includes an internal backup power supply. This feature provides sufficient backup power to deploy the air bag in the event the battery or battery cables are damaged in an accident before safing and primary crash sensors close. The backup power supply will deplete its stored energy approximately one minute after the positive battery cable is disconnected. Airbag DIagnostic Monitor (ADM) Light Flash Code (LFC) Priority Table Tone (5 Beeps Repeated 4 Times): Air Bag Indicator Open Circuit with Stored Fault Code(s) No Air Bag Indicator (Dash Light Out): Inoperative Indicator Circuit or No Battery Voltage to ADM Continuous Air Bag Indicator: ADM Disconnected or Inoperative 12: Low Battery Voltage 13: Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground 14: Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Shorted to Ground 21: Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly 22: Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage 23: Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open 24: Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Feed/Return Circuit Open 32: Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open 34: Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted 41: RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open 42: LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open 44: RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly 45: LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly 51: ADM Internal Thermal Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground 52: Backup Power Supply Voltage Boost Fault 53: Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuits Resistance to Ground or ADM Fault Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Indicator (No Fault Code): All Primary Air Bag Sensors Disconnected" remove a battery terminal then wait 30 minutes before attempting any work on the airbag circuits.

airbagcircuit96.jpg

See more air bag info in my site @ http://schwimserver5.com/index.php?index=109

OP
OP
D

DonLawson84

Reaction score
figured out the chime, it was a broken pickup on the ignition tumbler. 

I found the airbag light bulb burnt out, replaced and started the truck with no codes.  will have to wait for that flash to get a trouble code

The ABS code is 24.  I did a quick check of connectors around the hydraulic unit and wheel, did not see any issues.  will have to dig into that and get locations of the brake hydraulic control module, front right valve coil.  Its crazy, my 94 XLT i have been driving for about 2 years and the ABS light just came on, it was code 22 which is just the opposite wheel of the new bronco.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

I got stupid and spent too much time on air bag code 24

4WABS Code 24 pin-point tests;

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_149539567199315&key=6ed47b392b9edfe394b9e89b72717104&libId=j2z3ynyw01000bgv000MAh8vh2scf&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffullsizebronco.com%2Fforum%2F7-1980-96-bronco-tech%2F192557-4wabs-indicator-problem.html&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.chiltonsonline.com%2Fcontent%2Fimages%2F8492%2Fimages%2F84929157.pdf&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fschwimserver5.com%2Findex.php%3Findex%3D240&title=4WABS%20Indicator%20Problem%20-%20Ford%20Bronco%20Forum&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.chiltonsonline.com%2Fco...s%2F84929157.pdf

& 

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_149539572968616&key=6ed47b392b9edfe394b9e89b72717104&libId=j2z3ynyw01000bgv000MAh8vh2scf&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffullsizebronco.com%2Fforum%2F7-1980-96-bronco-tech%2F192557-4wabs-indicator-problem.html&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.chiltonsonline.com%2Fcontent%2Fimages%2F8492%2Fimages%2F84929158.pdf&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fschwimserver5.com%2Findex.php%3Findex%3D240&title=4WABS%20Indicator%20Problem%20-%20Ford%20Bronco%20Forum&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.chiltonsonline.com%2Fco...s%2F84929158.pdf

pdfs, so can not C&P right now.
In lieu of the obsolete Ford Rotunda pin-out box (avail. on e bay, etc. but often it does Not include the overlays or cables), you can go to the connector (cited in test) pins instead .

4WABS Wiring Diagram in 93-96; miesk5 Note; for all Resistance tests, battery needs to be disconnected; remove Negative cable at battery

OP
OP
D

DonLawson84

Reaction score
Was on vacation last week and have done nothing to the truck.  

Since replacing the Air bag bulb, it flashed 2 different times, code 34.  I found a thread you posted with someone having same code, but hesitant to play with the air bag wiring (do not want deployment)

I was driving this morning, my truck started kicking into gear after about 15 mins of driving.  I came to a stop and started again, and no kicking.  then after parking about 2 hours i went out for some food, while cruising about 60 the truck revved up and OD light flashing, started kicking around then went back into OD.  drove fine the last 5 miles, then pulling into parking lot, seemed to be kicking in and out of 1st at 5MPH.  i would think NSS but the parking lot kicking was weird 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

The OD light flashing (Transmission Control Indicator Lamp) indicates a monitored sensor(s) failure or wiring concern.

So Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.co...7&mode=threaded
Some basics;
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.
Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.
Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.
Do KOEO test First
Post Code(s) here according to: [SIZE=34.2507px]KOEO  [/SIZE]& KOER

OP
OP
D

DonLawson84

Reaction score
Found the code to be a 452, which google tells me is insufficient input from vehicle speed sensor.  I have read a little about them on the rear diff of the bronco and hoping it is something simple.  hopefully i will have time today or tomorrow to look into it.   Thanks again for all your help

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

VSS Location pic on a 95 on rear differential (8.8) 

figured there wern't alot of pics of this on here, and I just did it tonight, so here ya go.

000_0435.jpg

this is with the old one out and the new one in. 

000_0437.jpg

The other night, it started to shift way late and jolt really bad. Speedo and odometer stopped working and the overdrive "off" light on the shift lever started blinking. I tried just taking the sensor out and cleaning it off. That didn't work so a quick run down to the parts store and $15 later, back to normal. 
chili.gif

Source: by Broncodell 

Inspect the VSS, it's connector and wiring for damage, corrosion, etc.  Measure resistance between pins.  Should be 800 to 1,400 ohms and  10 ohms between metal shell and either pin.

Keep it even if you purchase a new one because some aftermarket pieces have wroung resistance among other issues.

8.8  Tone Ring Inspection in 92-96; (Ford calls it "exciter ring" here) Part of TSB 96-21-11 Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module Pointer Waver 
Source: by Ford 

.Tone Ring Inspection in an 8.8; "...Take off the rear diff cover. Check the Ring Tone gear. It is located on the left hand side of the ring gear. Look to see if any of the teeth have been notched (from debris floating around in the diff.) Usually a spider gear. If the ring tone gear has been notched, it will need to be replaced to fix your speedo reading. Jack it up and rotate the tires to look for the teeth to be notched/broken/bent..." 

&

Tone Ring Location pic in an 8.8

diffbuilt.jpg

Source: by BiBighibbi...

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; SEE C, E4OD Harsh Shifts & D, Code 452 - see Poss. Short Locations: 1. Driver's side A pillar trim screws may have been installed thru da 17K745 Sun Visor wire assy & .. bullet connector; 3. Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy; 4 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall 5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness; 7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld 
Source: by Ford 

also see 

DTC 452; Insufficient input from VSS.; "...A more difficult problem to identify is a VSS that works, but sends out the wrong signal for a given vehicle speed. In some cases, a wrong reading from the VSS may still cause a code to be set. For example, if the VSS signal tells the computer the vehicle is traveling 60 miles an hour, but the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor tell the computer that the engine is idling, the computer will be confused. And a confused computer should set any of the following codes: Ford 27, 29, 452. On a vehicle that uses the VSS as a safety device, a defective sensor may send out a wrong "too fast" signal, shutting down fuel flow at the wrong time. Although this doesn’t happen often, it can be a difficult problem to identify. The customer will probably describe it as a random or intermittent sudden loss of power and poor performance, only to have the engine resume normal operation. Routine diagnostic checks of the engine in the shop won’t show any problem because there isn’t a problem with the engine or the ECM..." read more
Source: by wellsmfgcorp.com 
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...erpoint4_2.pdf

someone else recently had the "14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel"

And Turbo Ghost just wrote about non-Ford VSS issues @ http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...=138574&page=3
"I don't know about different lengths but, when I replaced mine, the one from autozone didn't fit right. The one from Ford fit perfectly and solved that aspect of my problem. There was a difference in the way they tightened against the differential. The autozone one got pulled at an angle and the Ford unit went in straight."
Advise Ford Motorcraft units be used. 

btw, Ford often refers to VSS AND as the RABS SENSOR 
DS1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) 29 AND 452: CHECK PSOM RESISTANCE
 DTC 452 indicates the PCM detected an error in the PSOM output signal during the last 40 warm-up cycles.
Possible Causes:
Damaged Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS).
Damaged PSOM.
Damaged harness circuits.
Damaged PCM.
Key off.
Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 3 and Test Pin 6 at the breakout box.
Read more @ http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/vra/vra06040.htm

instead of breakout box, go to the EEC CONNECTOR pin or other instead; for instance - Measure resistance between Test Pin 3 and Test Pin 6; EEC Connector Pin 3 is VSS +
in 6 is VSS -

To help troubleshoot;
EEC IV Connector Pin Diagram
eec04.gif
by Fireguy50 (Ryan M) 

EEC Connector Pin Outs LEGEND, Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8; by Ryan M (Fireguy50) @ http://web.archive.org/web/20120118104425/http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DonLawson84

Reaction score
When I was going over the truck, noticed the ABS fuse was out. Put it back in and seemed to have the symptoms and throw that code within 200 miles. I pulled the fuse after running the code and posting the last info. So far, drive about 100 miles with no issues.

I did look at the VSS connector, it was not loose and wire jacket had no chafing.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Don,

[SIZE=23.9997px]Was the fuse pulled by a previous owner or burnt out? [/SIZE]

In 92 through 96, the rear axle mounted VSS provides a 72,900 to 86,900 pulses per mile signal through the 4WABS module to the Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM) ; PSOM converts this signal to 8,000 pulses per mile. That signal is sent out to the PCM and then to:

E4OD, 

speed control amplifier; 

and overhead consoles compass/outside temperature display module, if equipped. Overhead console module uses the PSOM signal to estimate the accuracy of the outside temperature sensor that uses a high-speed counter to monitor vehicle speed to determine whether engine heat is causing  erroneous readings.

The 4WABS module's microprocessors are know to fail.  I went through 2 bad yard modules.  When the module failed the PSOM needle went wild, trans shifted hard, lost speed as if I hit a snow bank, 4WABS amber light came on as well as the CEL.  I jumped out the module connector so as to feed the VSS Signal directly to PSOM, PCM and then to: E4OD, etc

OP
OP
D

DonLawson84

Reaction score
The fuse was out when I bought the truck, I replaced it. About 200mikes after putting the fuse back in, I had the VSS code and shifts. I pulled the fuse back out and trans has been shifting fine since (about 200 miles). With the speed, odometer and overhead consume, I have seen no change through any of this and all seem to functioning as they should.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Some rebuilt modules may be avaliable at a quality rebuilder, BBA @ 

http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/index.aspx

Babaganoosh wrote; "...BBA did the rebuilds on ABS Modules for my old VW/Audi Shop. They were super inexpensive, fast, friendly, and only had one issue with them ever and it was 50% my fault anyways (keep in mind it's VW stuff anyways...". 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke