Pulling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 96 Bronco I have replaced both front hubs, bearings twice on the left side, rotors and seals. it pulls to the left sometimes and sometimes its ok any idea, could it be the ABS system or the proportioning valve. Thanks

PS I put new calipers and pads and new brake hoses as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo George,

Foĺowing from 96 Bronco Workshop Manual, partial

• Brakes Pull to One Side
  • Unequal air pressure in tires.

• Grease or fluid on linings. Contaminated linings.

• Improper size or type of lining on one wheel.
  • REPLACE with correct brake shoe and lining in sets.

• Improper size rear wheel cylinder on one wheel.
  • REPLACE with correct rear wheel cylinder.

• Stuck or seized pistons in rear wheel cylinders or seized disc brake calipers.

• Restricted brake lines or hoses.
  • REPAIR or REPLACE as required.

• Insufficient release of disc brake caliper due to lack of lubrication.
  • LUBRICATE the caliper rails and inner knuckle shoe groove (F-150 only).

• Insufficient clearance of inner brake shoe.
  • Minimum clearance with brake shoe hold-down spring removed .25mm (0.01 in.) side-to-side, .71mm (0.028 in.) end-to-end. REPAIR or REPLACE as required. REFER to Section 06-02Section 06-03 (F-150 only) or Section 06-04 (F-Super Duty only).

• Front side-to-side torque variations.
  • SWAP front disc brake rotors and linings from side-to-side. If pull direction changes REPLACE pads and TAKE light cut off front disc brake rotors. REFER to Section 06-03.

• Worn or damaged rear brake.
  • CHECK for contaminants, broken components, seized parking brake and improperly installed parts. REPAIR or REPLACE as required. REFER to Section 06-02.

• Incorrectly adjusted rear brake shoe and lining.

• Other brake components. Improper adjustment of drum brakes.Improper positioning of disc brake pad and lining in the disc brake caliper.Improperly adjusted, damaged or worn wheel bearings.Distorted rear brake shoe and lining.Worn brake linings.Missing, broken or stretched retracting or retaining springs and clips.
  • INSPECT, ADJUST, REPAIR or REPLACE as required. REFER to applicable Section in Group 06.
  • GO to Pinpoint Test A.

• Other components.Suspension.Steering.Tires.
  • REFER to the appropriate section in Group 04 or Group 11.

Is your amber ABS light on while driving?

"4WABS Self Test & Test Connector Diagram, Component Locations, DTCs, 93-96; USE THIS PROCESS! "...The 4WABS TEST Connector is red; located at the left-hand side (driver's side) of the engine compartment and marked ANTI-LOCK TEST; Light Flash Technique 1. Note: If 12V test light is not available, the amber ABS warning light also flashes during this test. Locate test connector in the engine compartment and install 12V test light between Pins C and E. 2. With the ignition off, jumper Pin E to B. 3. Turn key to RUN position. 4. Remove jumper between Pins E and B after 5 seconds. 5. Count light flashes of test light or amber ABS warning light..." read more; miesk5 Note; for all Resistance tests, battery needs to be disconnected; remove Negative cable at battery." 

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/255501_1

4wabscomponents.jpg

Proportioning Valve is in the Master Cylinder Fluid Control Valve in 96.

Master Cylinder Fluid Control (Proportioning) Valve is inside the master cylinder.

h9908a.gif

Item Part Number Description 
1 2162 Brake Master Cylinder Filler Cap 
2 — Float (Part of 2L454) 
3 2L454 Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir 
4 — Brake Master Cylinder Grommets (Part of 2L454) 
5 2140 Brake Master Cylinder 
6 — Stop Bolt (Part of 2140) 
7 — Primary Piston (Part of 2004) 
8 — Snap Ring (Part of 2004) 
9 — Secondary Piston
(Part of 2004) 
10 2C161 Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Control Valve

Overview in a 96 from Workshop Manual; "...The brake pressure control valve regulates the hydraulic pressure in the rear brake system. It is located between the rear brake system's inlet and outlet ports in the main valve. When the brake pedal (2455) is applied, the full brake fluid pressure passes through the brake pressure control valve to the rear brake system until the valve's split point is reached. Above its split point, the brake pressure control valve begins to reduce the hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes, creating a balanced braking condition between the front and rear wheels to minimize rear wheel lock-up during hard braking.In case of the front brake system malfunction, the brake master cylinder fluid control valve has a bypass feature, which allows full hydraulic pressure to the rear brake system..." 
Source: by Ford via SigEpBlue (Steve) 

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
Thanks, I have done all of above can the ABS system be bypassed and still not affect the E4OD and the Cruz? I have noticed that when it pulls the brake pedal goes down a little like when the ABS system is working, I have done away with the light on the dash as I got tired of looking at it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo George,

YW!

Yes, you can bypass the 4WABS System to have E4OD and speedo operate.

4WABS Control Module Bypass for PSOM Operation due to Bad 4WABS Control Module at 4WABS Module Connector; "...jumper 14 (CKT 530, LG/Y)to 21 (CKT 519 (LG/BK) & 39 (CKT 491 (O/LB)to 22 (CKT 523, R/PK)..." 
ABSConnectorw-jumpers.jpgSource: by Turbo Ghost 
I did this too by disconnecting the 4WABS Control Module under ws washer fluid/ coolant recovery tank.
Then I un-wrapped harness covering to expose the wires and cut the wires 4 inches away from the connector and spliced wires shown in turboghost's pic.
I used weather resistant in-line (butt) crimp connectors. Covered connector with a surgical glove , leaving small opening facing down.
Tied connector to radidtor's neck.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Before cutting and splcing the wires, jumper the connector as Turboghost shows.  Tape the jumpers in pkace and try a bounce free ride.

Btw, In 92 through 96, the rear axle mounted VSS provides a 72,900 to 86,900 pulses per mile signal via the 4WABS module to the Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM) ; PSOM converts this signal to 8,000 pulses per mile. That signal is sent out to the PCM and then to:
E4OD, 
speed control amplifier; 
and overhead consoles compass/outside temperature display module, if equipped. Overhead console module uses the PSOM signal to estimate the accuracy of the outside temperature sensor that uses a high-speed counter to monitor vehicle speed to determine whether engine heat is causing erroneous readings.

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
Back to this, I have tried the ABS disconnect and no good, could the problem be the brake Master pressure valve? All of the above has been tried with the exception of the Master?  Thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Since the other stuff didn't cause it, try that.  But llokbat the rubber brake hoses for swelling first.

Ford doesn't have any other suggestions.

Reaction score
ABS is rear so that should not affect pulling unless it's only during turns I'd imagine. 
I've had several pulling situations and they came as follows:

bulged tire due to age. Take em off and roll em down the drive way. If they make it to the end at least once of out three tries, and walking it feels straight, you're good otherwise you're not.

Worn Radius bushings. Age. Polyurethane but it does squeak if you grease em like they tell you too. Might be worth it to leave it but they'll still squeak a lil.
Bent Radius arm. Oops ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Steering input shaft to steering wheel after pulling steering wheel out of alignment. That lil notch is never quite spot on.
Ball joints out of alignment after replacing front Springs. JBG sells some awesome adjustables to accomodate.

Worn Tie Rods. Yep you need to grease em and even then they get old and take some of the most abuse in all categories.
Steering gear box was weak. Replaced with RedHead and upgraded to Saginaw steering pump and it drives like a dream now after replacing all of the above. It's very fluid, a bit floaty, but precise. Bumps in the road make it more responsive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke