Caster/Camber/Toe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treg

Reaction score
My 93 Bronco has a Superlift Superunner 6" Suspension kit with 2 superlift shocks on each side with 6" coils and running 35's on it. Trying to do some research on Caster, Camber and Toe because it rides pretty rough and I feel every crack. Any ideas where to look and see what the settings for Caster, Camber, and Toe should be. Maybe I should just take it somewhere to get it done but need to know if I can figure this out.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Treg,

Specifications in a 94 
Source: by Ken B (Kenny's 94) 

Compare to 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by FORD via http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj40010.htm#extract_711

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj40013.htm#spec400

Look through the rest of Section 04-00: Suspension, Service.

This site is freezing up on my tablet.

"...Stock TTB Setup diagram showing where Camber & Castor are measured. The only place for adjustment of Camber/Castor on the stock setup is by changing bushings around the upper ball joint. This only allows for about 2-3 degrees of adjustment in any direction..." 

stock-ttb.jpg
Source: by Roadkill (The Beast) 

The bushings are; Camber Bushing, Fully Adjustable Offset Installation, Diagrams & Specifications, Ford OE Style #23109 Offsets from 0° to 2-3/4° for: 1996-1980 Ford Bronco, 1996-1980 Ford F-150 4WD, 1996-1980 Ford F-250 4WD, 1987-1980 Ford F-350 4W, D2004-1999 Ford F-450 Super Duty RWD, 2004-1999 Ford F-550 Super Duty RWD 

Source: by Ingalls Engineering

Superlift® Adjustable Camber Bushing Offset Installation (no pics, see Mark's SM site) in a 95; Mark wrote elsewhere; "...I installed the adjustables at max setting (high side of bushing closest to coil spring). Well, it must have been my lucky day, cuz even though they are adjustable, generally you have to lower the vehicle with wheel back on, and move it forward and back a good distance to see where it ends up at. Anyway, this max setting was perfect! I tested before buttoning it all back up, but now that it is all done on that side, as best I can measure with my instruments, I am at .25-.5 degrees +. So, this has helped eliminate apx. 1.25-1.5 + camber, putting me in the ideal range for this year bronco (.25+); These bushings I think are adjustable to 2 3/4 degrees. I already had 1 degree in the ones I had. so I was only going to get another 1 3/4. But that was just enough. I used them at full camber, and as best I can tell, I have 3-6 degrees + CASTER, and .25-.5 + CAMBER. The book says I should have between 2-6 = caster, and .25 N to .75 P, so I am in great shape. Tires now look like they are not tilted. Only dilemma I have is that I have not put that other 1/4" worth of coil spacer in yet. that will add maybe .25P. Anyway, once done, if you had + camber, you will probably need to adjust toe inward. - camber you will need to adjust toe out. It does throw it off slightly. Adjusting toe in is done by rotating the sleeve on the steering tie rod end for the offending tire toward the front and up and over toward the back. If you need toe out, you will rotate under toward the back and around and over toward the front. With Toe, do small increments of rotation at a time. Broncos should be slightly toe-in, about 1/32 or so..." 
Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z) at Off-Road Forums Superlift® Adjustable Camber Bushing Offset Installation in a 93; "...I have the Superlift 3 degree c/b in mine and I installed them and then took it in to get alignment. If the old ones are not frozen in there, then what I do to get them out is loosen the castle nut and the top and use a regular hammer and tap the nut and the bushing starts to work its way up on its own. Then before I install the new ones, I **** the outer wall of the bushing with bearing grease and knock them down. That way it ensure easy adjustability for yourself to get it as close as you can to drive it to the shop. I have a mock up thick wall pvc pipe for each front tire and and strap them to the tire and run my measurements front and back of tire off that to get it pretty damn close on my own..." 
Source: by Camo Horse (g8rfan, Bill)

Best to have the bushing on--hand before going to a alignment shop

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Treg,

The caster,  camber and toe are best set by an alignment shop.  However they are geometric measurements and have no effect on the hard ride of your truck.

The ride is the result of the suspension mods you have and the spring and shock rates and tires.   

You have a truck built with high ground clearence for off road.  It won't be a Cadillac.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke