Rust issues on the front shock mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95blanco

Reaction score
He I just picked up a 95 bronco we'll I heard a thud and the shocks blew through the mounts. Now the question I have it in having trouble sourcing a replacement. It has the dual shocks. Does anyone know if I can put the single shock mount on. Are the holes the same. Only reason I'm asking cause the single shock mount is like 60 where as the dual is almost 200 not looking to break the bank.

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
yep thats what happened to me  my top  duel shock mount split in half  then I noticed a crack  where the bottom mount was so I went to ford ordered a duel top mount for 80 bucks the reason I ordered a duel is you will notice the brake line goes through it. . the line connection  was like frozen on their so I cut it and just replaced the line simple job..you. will also notice the top mount has rivet head bolts \just get a grinder and cut them off and the shock mount will come right out.  put good quality bolts with nuts through the holes. I'm still only running one shock on each side  and it been like 30000 miles ago the job was done.  good luck

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Our sponsor has them

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Stock-Front-Bronco-F150F100/products/218/

Jeff at the Bronco Graveyard has offered a 2% discount to members of The BroncoZone for on line orders. To get your discount, enter the discount code BZMEMBER. Also you must include your BroncoZone User Name with the order.

Some remove the front shock on the quad set-up.

Some replace both mounts the mount to single shock.

Depends on $ situation of course.

OP
OP

95blanco

Reaction score
Yea I ordered a new shock mount this morning I'm just going to the single shock set up I don't see what real advantage a dual set up would offer especially with modern shock being what they are

OP
OP

95blanco

Reaction score
Ended up just going with the single shock mount it was like 1/4 the price put a new shock on and away I went this is my first ford and so far i feel like I'm doing a build let alone a daily diver

nelbur

Reaction score
The dual shock is there for a reason.   When my first pair of shocks wore out, I replaced the rears and only one of the front shocks on each side, to save money.   I noticed that the front wheels did a lot of bouncing.   I eventually decided to replace the old front shocks and was surprised at how much better the front wheels did over bumps.    I guess the weight of the wheels and the driveline were more than one shock could handle.

OP
OP

95blanco

Reaction score
I would have to disagree shocks do not support weight they just damper spring force with a good shock I have noticed a better ride since changing to the single mount.

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
Try your local pull and pay junkyards,I found new ones for my 95 F150 in the local pulll and pay for around 20 dollars each. Alot of vehicles get junked with new parts on them.

Para

Reaction score
The cheap route is to go with the single shock version.....what is the difference? What is that second shock supposed to do?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Para,

Ford used the quad front package to improve handling, usually part of the factory optional tow package

Optional Trailer Towing Package consisted of; Trailer wiring harness, heavy-duty turn signal flasher, rear stabilizer bar (front standard), quad front and heavy-duty rear shocks, heavy-duty battery- 84 amp-hr./850 CCA (std. with Eddie Bauer). SeattleFSB Wrote; "My 1990 5.8L came with the following with no brake controller:

Trailer Towing Package (535)
- Trailer Wiring Harness
- Heavy Duty Turn Signal Flasher
- 65D Heavy Duty Service Package

Heavy Duty Service Package (65D)
- 553 Handling Package (Rear Stabilizer Bar, Quad Front and Heavy Duty Rear Shock Absorbers)
- 632 Heavy Duty Battery (84 AH/850 CCA)
- 624 Super Engine Cooling (Includes Auxillary Trans Oil Cooler except with 44E)"
FYI:
96 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via me at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/877777
see Features and Specifications
[SIZE=14.4px]96 Bronco Owners Guide by Hiller Ford @ [/SIZE][SIZE=14.4px]http://www.hillerford.com/resource_library/owner_manuals_pdf/1996_owner_manuals_ford/96bronco.pdf[/SIZE]
excerpt; "...Trailer Towing (may require trailer tow option package) Towing a trailer puts additional loads on your vehicle’s engine, transmission, axle, brakes, tires and suspension. For your safety and for the good of your vehicle, use the right equipment for the type of trailer you tow. If your trailer is equipped with electric brakes, auxiliary battery, or back-up lamps, the optional 7 wire trailer towing electrical hook-up will be required on the vehicle. Your trailer towing capability will vary based on the standard and optional equipment on your vehicle. Refer to the following Vehicle Loading/Towing Information and the Trailer Towing Tables to determine the specific towing capability of your vehicle. Stay within the load limits..." etc.
96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by FORD via http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Para

Reaction score
so it would seem that the dual shock setup is to keep the front wheel in better contact with the ground when towing = having weight pulling down on the rear

Para

Reaction score
So if you dont tow anything....who cares? Just more parts to mess with

I just happen to have the dual setup on mine (in fact replacing now)

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Do you tow?

fill out your Signature with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
Click your name in right black panel in upper right;
In pop up,
Click, My Profile
Click, Edit My Profile in right side black panel
In left panel, Click, Edit Signature
Enter info
Click, Save Changes

To post a pic from your PC, TABLET, etc., just below the reply box in lower right corner, click More Reply Options
Screen will change
See Attach files
pick out the pic
Click Attach This File

or click, Try our advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)

Keep each post limited to one issue.

Our sponsor, Jeff at the Bronco Graveyard has offered a 2% discount to members of The BroncoZone for on line ordersTo get your discount, enter the discount code BZMEMBER. Also you must include your BroncoZone User Name with the order.
http://broncograveyard.com

Here are some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) @ http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke