EB purchase inspection/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I think I've finally found the right one. After months of searching and researching, I kinda feel like I know what I'm doing now and ready to buy my first EB. I've inspected and test driven it but I was hoping maybe y'all could tell me your opinions on what you like/dislike about it. Also if y'all have any advice on what to look for on my final inspection before I commit.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Geeeese..!   What's not to like.?  :-B

All the mods appear to be well done.  Looks to be built for serious off roading.

Tests should be steering/roadability., is it freeway capable.

RU happy with that trannie..? Appears to be 4 or 5 speed.

Braking good...?  Eng. runn'n smooth & clean..? What mods to the eng..?

And.., why is he selling after all that work..?

(no "the wife made me" or "the dog died" reasons)

Is there something he's not satisfied with after all the mods..?

genthree

Reaction score
That is HORRIBLE.....  Send me his number and I will buy it and take it out of your options!!!   :))   Looks like a very clean rig.  Obvious body lift and suspension work.  How does it steer and stop???  Looks like there is an air locker pump in the engine compartment and aftermarket power breaks.  New radiator....  Looks good... I like it...

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
He said he was selling cause he was doing upgrades to his backyard which I've confirmed in person, but the price does seem about 5-7 grand too low but I guess it's not too low to scare me away, it's a 4spd manual w/granny gear, 4340 warn axles, arb airlockers, the frame is clean as far as I can tell and the coating on the frame isn't sloppy as I've seen on a lot, everything checks out, I was just wondering if I was missing something that the EB geeks might make fun of me about

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
last minute bs just made things complicated, my cousins friend and his neighbor both have Broncos for sale I'll post and ask if I should entertain these ideas, the original one I posted solid orange w/black right I'll be buying at 35, end up paying 41k total after tax and interest cause I'll have to finance it, the second one, burnt orange&white going for 29 total, then the last one, Green going for 9k

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
The 1st one (solid orange) has the "inverted Y" steering llinkage, which is said to be not favorable

for lifts & large tires.  (cheap fix  +- $300)

The other two look good as well. Can't tell much from 1 pic but.., I'd  like the Green one

(except for the locomotive front bumper) as I could set it up with the mods I prefer & would actually put to use.

Maybe the same for the orange/white..... (except, looks like some exterior "Rino lining"..??)

DITTO socker..!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
I noticed that there was fluid leaking from the transfer case and there was a bunch of fluid on the bottom of the transmission cover as well as on the driveshaft

IMG_7035.JPG

IMG_7009.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

IMG_7038.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

IMG_7010.JPG

IMG_6997.JPG

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Probably not that unusual.., especially on a rig that's been " 'round the block" a few times.

Seals get warn & brittle, etc.

One would have to wipe trannie/transfer clean.., flick powder up in there then run vehicle to

be able to see where the oil is coming from.

A bit hard to see with those pics upside down & sideways...  The differental has some odd welding

done to it.

My trannie seeps gear oil out the two shift-shaft/linkage attach points but it's not worth removing trannie

just to replace those seals.

Trannie & transfer should not vibrate or make noise. (except transfers hum/wine in low range 4x4'n)

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
How much rust is too much rust when looking at these older Broncos, I noticed there was a lot of rust on the under side of the floor boards. There's also a few areas like where the window meets the door and other joints in the body with raised bumps that look like it was just painted over the rust. Also in this pic you can see bent strut mounts and the original muffler and tailpipe, I'm also assuming the frame was just sprayed without proper rust treatment, is it worth paying 35k to the seller (41k after tax+interest) for a rig that needs frame off rust treatment, also what the heck is wrong with me, I think the bronco bug that bit me had zika or something, how have I found myself in a position where I'm about to dish out 41k I don't have on a car I don't need

IMG_7058.PNG

IMG_7057.PNG

OP
OP
Rusty shackleford
Reaction score
Also, The doors don't line up perfectly and are difficult to open and close the seller said that they needed to be realigned but I'm wondering if it's from the rusty metal under the paint, another thing is that it's got a fiber glass hood, could this also be another sign that the truck was too rusty to save the hood, I'm get the feeling that this truck might have a lot more rust than I can tell but it's being hidden by paint

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Well now, you're gett'n into the "niti-griti" ---- GOOD JOB..!!

It's quite common for flakes to put on pretty tires-n-wheels & a fresh el-cheapo paint job

& some upolstery..., and call it a RESTO..!!

(BTW., receipts are a big help-- the owner should have a history/record of repairs/mods)

Rust is proportional to where the rigs came from.

I couldn't give a factual opinion W/O laying an eyeball on this rig.

Best advice is.., do just like you would do on any used vehicle. While remembering this

rig was special built & was likely used for the way it was built.

A quality 4x4 shop could give this rig a "once-over" & give you an opinion as to what

you're getting into, for a fee.

The Eng. is pretty but ith insides is unknown W/O a compression test, etc.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Everything underneath that hasn't been removed/serviced, replaced.

Rocker panels, fender wells, brackets, exhaust, etc.

Under hood back corners adjacent to the firewall where the fender apron meets the firewall.

The fender apron usually rots out there.  Sometimes even in dry climates.

I have some pin holes, small holes etc., in my driver/passenger floorboards. They were

covered with a sheetmetal (pop rivited) patch & haven't changed for decades.

(the patches don't even need to be there.., it's all carpeted)

The frame just should not have any "eat-thru" .., They all have surface rust.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo