1984 Bronco XLT - Is there an OBD test connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1984 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8L 351W 4V H.O.

Is there a diagnostic OBD test connector for this truck? I have a Innova 3145 Ford Digital code reader.

I've done some looking around but I can't locate it. So, my questions are...

Is there a diagnostic test port? If so, where is it and what's it look like?

If no diagnostic test port, is there a way to read trouble codes?

Thank you

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Maine,

I don't know if you have the feedback carb or efi

If EFI; call Innova tech.

Diagnostic Link Connectors for 84-86 (red) located on passenger side wheelwell near starter relay.

http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/images/selftest03.jpg

Pic by Ryan M.

If this;

Microprocessor Control Unit (MCU) Overview; "...The Microprocessor Control Unit (MCU) system was used on most 1981–83 carburetor equipped vehicles, and 1984 and newer V8 engines with feedback carburetors. The MCU system uses a large six sided connector, identical to the one used with EEC-IV systems. The MCU system does NOT use the small single wire connector, like the EEC-IV system. This system has limited ability to diagnose a malfunction within itself. Through the use of trouble codes, the system will indicate where to test. When an analog voltmeter or special tester is connected to the diagnostic link connector and the system is triggered, the self-test simulates a variety of engine operating conditions and evaluates all the responses received from the various MCU components, so any abnormal operating conditions can be detected.Diagnosis of a driveability problem requires attention to detail and following the diagnostic procedures in the correct order. Resist the temptation to begin extensive testing before completing the preliminary diagnostic steps. The preliminary or visual inspection must be completed in detail before diagnosis begins. In many cases this will shorten diagnostic time and often cure the problem without electronic testing..."

Reading Codes & Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt4.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjk9fDp7p7QAhWl7IMKHZudDokQFgg4MAQ&usg=AFQjCNEyynjwkSZSwg0rvGrDdxuS1TKcjQ&sig2=in4-mZnf16gYTxzLVyD1-w

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
It's a 4180C 4bbl carb. I have the manual already and have looked for the connector already. My Bronco has "H" in serial and it doesn't show in the manual.

I may need someone with the same year vehicle to give me the scoop. The manual kinda skips over and around 1984.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
I still haven't found the 6-sided connector that most trucks have and I had the entire front end stripped down to the frame and firewall this summer when I put in a new engine. I know every connector that's in the engine compartment and I have never seen the obd connector. I've looked under the dash but nothing obvious. I have a Chiltons but no info. I've searched google and 1984 is a year that seems to be missing.

Does anyone know for sure what obd test connector is used, what it looks like, and where it is for the 1984 Bronco?

Updated edit: I found this from ford.... It seems my truck does not have an OBD test connector.

Ford vehicles without self-diagnostic capability

1982 and earlier Any with EEC-I or EEC-II. The scan tool can test 1980 and later EEC-III, EEC-IV, and MCU systems with test connectors.

1982–83 3.3L, 6-cylinder carbureted engine (VIN code B for 1982; X for 1983).
1983–85 1.6L, 4-cylinder carbureted ******, Lynx, EXP, and LN7 (VIN codes 2 and 4).
1986 1.9L, 4-cylinder carbureted ****** and Lynx (VIN code 9).
1983–84 3.8L, V6 carbureted engine (VIN code 3 & C).
1983–85 5.0L, V8 carbureted ** engine in Mustangs only (VIN codes F, 1983; M, 1984). Has a self-test connector, but no tests are available.
1983–87 5.8L, V8 carbureted truck engines (VIN codes G for 1983–85; H for 1985–87).
1981–87 7.5L, V8 carbureted truck engine (VIN code L).
1989–95 7.3L, V8 Diesel (non-Powerstroke). scan tool tests automatic transmission only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
All I can tell you is, that my 83 with the same engine as you from an 85 didn't have an OBD test connector.   Probably would only have had one if it was manufactured for sale in Callifornia.  No trouble codes to read if it has a Duraspark II ignition.  How about a picture or two of the engine compartment.  What exactly is the problem?

:)>-

Engine with 5.8L 351W 4V H.O

Converted Durispark system to MSD

Full vacuum diagram for that engine

Bronco does not have two fuel system canisters, only pickups with two tanks.  Bronco only has one.

100_0008a.jpg

100_0011.JPG

100_3722.jpg

VacDef copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Hey SeaBronco... you've seen my new engine, I made the combined diagram for emissions you posted. Nothing is wrong, just wanted to read the codes and fix anything that may have been found.

As I said, everyone said there should be a 6-sided connector but heck if mine did and I had it stripped down to the frame. I just wanted someone to confirm if there actually was an obd connector or not

in this year. I found the ford list yesterday that confirmed no obd connector and now you have confirmed it also. My Bronco has "H" in the serial indicating 1985 build.

The engine runs and sounds great. The truck is back on the mountain. Now I have a code reader I can't use. LOL, it's from Amazon so I can return it.

Thanx for helping me solve this mystery.

2016-10-01 12.36.52.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.  I asked you for permission to use that diagram and requested you to put your name on the bottom.  It is the best looking vacuum diagram and with the definitions on it, that sends it over the top.  If you prefer I don't use it when appropriate, I will remove it from circulation.  I also, asked you, if you are willing, convert the other some what messy diagram that shows the system with the air injection stuff removed.  Looks like you have a nice drawing program :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke