Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjg8675

Reaction score
Hi All,

I seem to have developed a bit of an oil leak, it used to just drop a drip or two here and there but in the last couple weeks has become a puddle so I'm looking to get it fixed.

Not sure if it is my Rear Main Seal or if it might be my oil pan gasket.

To me it kinda doesn't look like a rear main seal as they tend to be a bit thicker than that is, but who knows maybe it came apart?

any help much appreciated

oil leak2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo TJ,

I have poor resolution with this Tablet, so will just provide some info;

Engine oil leaks are sometimes improperly diagnosed as transmission pump seal leaks. The following areas of possible leakage should also be checked to determine if engine oil leakage is causing the problem.

Leakage at the valve cover may allow engine oil to flow over the converter housing or seep down between the converter housing and block causing oil to be present in or at the bottom of the converter housing.

Oil plug leaks will allow oil to flow down the rear face of the block to the converter housing.

Leakage at the crankshaft seal will work back to the flywheel, and then into the converter housing.

Leak Check Test

The following procedures should be used to determine the cause of the leakage before service is made.

Remove the fluid level indicator (7A020) and note the color of the fluid. Original factory fill fluid is dyed red to aid in determining if leakage is from the engine or transmission. Unless a considerable amount of makeup fluid has been added or the fluid has been changed, the red color should assist in pinpointing the leak.

Remove the converter housing cover. Clean off any fluid from the top and bottom of the converter housing, front of the transmission case, and rear face of the engine and pan. Clean the converter area by washing with suitable nonflammable solvent, and blow dry with compressed air.

Wash out converter housing and the front of the flywheel. The converter housing may be washed out using clean solvent and a squirt-type oil can. Blow all washed areas dry with compressed air.

Start and run the engine until the transmission reaches its normal operating temperature. Observe the back of the block and top of the converter housing for evidence of fluid leakage. Raise the vehicle on a hoist and position suitable safety stands under vehicle. Run the engine at fast idle, then at engine idle, occasionally shifting to the drive and reverse ranges to increase pressure within the transmission. Observe the front of the flywheel, back of the block (in as far as possible), and inside the converter housing and front of the transmission case. Run the engine until fluid leakage is evident and the probable source of leakage can be determined.

When a converter drain plug leaks, remove drain plug. Install new drain plug. Tighten to 24-27 Nm (18-20 lb-ft).

OP
OP
tjg8675

tjg8675

Reaction score
Hi Miesk5,

Thanks for your help as always.

100% sure it is an oil leak as it is not red in color, doesn't smell like tranny fluid (I know that smell well), and my oil level keeps dropping about a quart every few weeks + the burning motor oil smell when it drips onto exhaust.

OP
OP
tjg8675

tjg8675

Reaction score
My issue is I don't want to have my mechanic pull the tranny and transfer case for a rear main seal replacement if I don't absolutely need to...

Replacing an oil pan gasket is much easier and cheaper than replacing rear main seal!

OP
OP
tjg8675

tjg8675

Reaction score
I guess it wont hurt too much more to have him pull the oil pan first to check that gasket before moving on to the rear main seal if necessary.

I still would feel more comfortable knowing beforehand though.

Elmo

Reaction score
Pull the engine. Replace the oil pan gasket, rear main seal AND the tran front seal.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo TJ,

Finally found a picture that Trucky18 found was a rear main seal leak;

img_2583.jpg

Here is his replacement @

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/3749/29261-4

Select Alternate View; click Thumbnails + Captions

&

His Oil Pan+Pump Replacment @

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/3749/20906

Also, as described by our late friend here, Randy (Justshootme84) RIP FRIEND!

@ http://broncozone.com/topic/10577-replacing-oil-pan-gasket/

Read other comments too.

We have been removing rust and repainting with rust preventers for years, but someday soon the pan will be replaced.

As Elmo advised, replace pump seal and the converter seal if it is the rear main seal.

OP
OP
tjg8675

tjg8675

Reaction score
Hi miesk5,

I have about 30k on my tranny rebuild so I think I'm ok on that end as far as seals are concerned, I will be changing the fluid and filter though. Also my mechanic has a way of doing oil pan gasket without pulling engine, I will ask him how he does it next time I see him later this week.

OP
OP
tjg8675

tjg8675

Reaction score
What is the pump seal you are referring to? AT front pump seal?

OP
OP
tjg8675

tjg8675

Reaction score
OK thanks Miesk5 that diagram helps a lot,

Does that front pump seal need to be replaced every time the tranny/torque converter get removed?

Also what is the typical lifespan of an oil pump?

I have 171,000 on mine but never had any oil pressure issues

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

YW.

Yes, I believe it is standard operating procedure for most shops to replace the front pump seal whenever transmission is removed. But my 96 manual does not state that. However, the manual states, "CAUTION: Use care when installing the torque converter to avoid damage to the front pump support seal.

NOTE: Check the converter crankshaft pilot for nicks or damaged surfaces that could cause interference when installing the transmission to the engine. Check the converter impeller hub for nicks or sharp edges that would damage the pump seal."

&

FYI, "Lubricate the torque converter crankshaft pilot with Multi-Purpose Grease D0AZ-19584-A (or equivalent) meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C45A."

Btw, I think "front" is a carryover from earlier automatic transmissions that had two pumps, a rear and a.... ummm.. front.

Lol

d9025f.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke