89' Bronco intermittent loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco27

Reaction score
My bronco runs fine but every once in a while the rpm's will drop and I will lose complete power. This has happened to me twice in the past 6 months of me having it. The first time it wouldn't start back up for a couple days and the second time it sat for about an hour and started back up. Could this be my alternator going out? There is no problems with my battery, already checked it. The battery has 12 amps in it.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I seriously doubt it.  It probably has to do with your ignition module or the pickup in the distributor.

Please add your trucks vitals to your signature, it helps get more accurate responses.

Good luck,

:)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bronco27,

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded

Some basics;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test;

and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test if you can get it running long enough.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

As Fred mentioned, could see a code such as:

DTC 14 or 18; Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) & Troubleshooting; The top three leads (for PIP signal) can lose continuity with the back plate (ground) on the module when the unit is hot. You should consider a remote mounted TFI. If your TFI is failing from heat, it can give off codes 14 (PIP) and 18 (SPOUT). Stalling/dying or sputtering when hot, but runs when it cools off. This can be caused by a faulty TFI and the biggest culprits are heat. Another culprit can be a wire grounding out.

&

In this fast test you'll be able to pinpoint the problem to the ignition control module or the ignition coil or the Profile Ignition Pickup sensor (PIP sensor) in four easy test steps. This test will only help you in a ‘Cranks but Does Not Start Condition’.

@ http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/ignition-control-module-tests-1

Ask local mom and pop parts stores if they can loan you some of the test tools needed such as hei spark tester or multimeter, etc.

Do this Test right after it stalls it has stalls, preferably on a warm day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22