Spare Tire Carrier Refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
Hey folks...Just thought I'd share my mini-project.  The spare tire carrier has been removed for a while, and after a fluke flat tire  (on 35" BFG Mud Terrains..seriously :wacko: ) left me stranded, I decided to reinstall it; but not before polishing that baby up.  It was looking worn and discolored and I was considering powder coating it, but I wanted something super durable.  So I decided to Line-X it;  and i'm happy with the results.  In addition, I added a center piece for the spare tire.  I recall the old spare tire cover used to flop around when driving because of the gap between the spare tire cover and the tire, and I didn't want that to happen with the new, knock off spare tire carrier I purchased.  See all attache pics.

spare_tire_initial.jpeg

spare_tire_blasted.jpeg

line_x_total.jpeg

line_x_closeup.jpeg

line_x_closeup2.jpeg

wheel_cutout.jpeg

wheel_cutout_installed.jpeg

wheel_cutout_rearview.jpeg

final_installed.jpeg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Looks good  :D/  Did you use stainless bolts to hold the tire to the rack?

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B-Co Kid

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
I used stainless u bolts that hold parts of the spare tire carrier together. All the other bolts, with the exception of the fabricated center cut out, were Line-X'd and reused.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo B,

Good idea on the spacer!

I assume that is not a 35 spare hung.

Thanks for the pics!!!

OP
OP
B-Co Kid

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
No, it's actually a 31" tire. Not too big/heavy for the carrier, and not too small for when I need it!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke