Bronco won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShdwlwnBronco

Reaction score
I know this is probably pretty remedial, but I've recently done some work to my 79 bronco and now it won't start. It had a problem with the battery dying, so I replaced that and the alternator. It still had a problem with battery drain. The stereo shorts out when driving so I figured there may be a wire somewhere that's touching something it shouldn't and maybe that's what's killing the battery. I got it home the other day from the paint shop and parked and the next morning went to start it and nothing. It won't even crank. The radio pops on and the dash lights but it won't even crank or make any noise. I beat on the starter and tried to jump start it but it didn't help. Any tips on what it could be? I just don't want to start replacing a bunch of crap preemptively. I have a bit of mechanical ability, so if it may be something simple like a selinoid I will handle that myself. Thanks.

Seabronc

Reaction score
You need to figure out where the battery drain is coming from.

Get the battery charged and then "Do Not" hook it up.  Get a test light and hook it from your battery (+) to the cable that is usually connected to the (+) post.  If it lights up, you have something drawing current that shouldn't, could be a short or a light bulb, like perhaps the glove compartment light.  In any event, if it is glowing, go to the fuse panel and start removing fuses until the light goes out.  Now you are down to the circuit that is causing the problem.  That will eliminate a lot of possibilities and put you on the track.  Often a wire will rub through the insulation where it either passes through a metal panel or lies against some metal.

Good luck and happy troubleshooting!

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

ShdwlwnBronco

Reaction score
Thanks Seabronc, I'm definitely going to try that to see where the drain is coming from. I just replaced the selinoid and it fired up. Whoever had it before me did not do the next owner any favors. The battery cables are colored backwards for starters. It is kind of fun to tinker with though.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66