Rear Axle Shaft SNAFU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue1984Beast

Reaction score
1984 Ford Bronco XLT

9" Rear Differential

Pulled rear axles so I could replace the third member gasket. Figured I'd go ahead and replace the wheel bearings etc while I was at it. I noticed some gouging in the axle housing, and I added some new gouges when removing the bearings. Will these issues cause a leak or am I good to go? New axle shafts and housings or could they be repaired for a reasonable price? JB weld and emery cloth to fill the axle shaft gouges? Repair bearings?

Thanks in advance for the help, information, ideas.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo CK,

Looks too deep from here,malt hough my tablets resolution isn't very good.

So, based on what I can see, I agree with Ford, 9" shaft oil seals are susceptible to the same kinds of damage as rear axle drive pinion seals... The axle shaft must be clean and the lip handled carefully to avoid cutting or tearing it. Axle shaft journal surface must be free of nicks, gouges and rough surface texture...

See these pics where the author wrote, "Once the axle shaft has been completely removed, inspect the bearing and seal surface. I recommend replacing the bearings for any rebuild, but if they are in good condition, you may get away with re-using them. But it’s a risk. This axle shaft uses the large ball bearing arrangement. This sealed-style bearing cannot be re-greased. You can see the wear mark from the seal. If yours has a groove, replace the shaft..."

@

http://diyford.com/disassemble-ford-9-inch-axles-brake-drum-axle-shafts/

OP
OP
B

Blue1984Beast

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Axle shafts will cost me more than a complete used rear end. Considering using mid priced bearings and seeing if it will hold any leaks. It's a $150 gamble though...

Funny how these small routine jobs escalate...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

I hear you on the costs and how projects grow. I did not see exactly where those gouges were. If not in seal or along bearings, it could be salvaged.

How about taking them to local machine shop?

OP
OP
B

Blue1984Beast

Reaction score
On the axles there are gouges underneath the bearing, but not past the bearing positions. That's my main concern.

The gouging in the axle housing is a concern but not a major concern as there were no leaks before I pulled the axles.

I'm gonna take them to an axle shop for new bearings and see what they say I guess.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey CK,

The gouges in the axle shafts are from a cutoff wheel used to remove the bearing keeper and race.( You know that already...no worries.) They are of no concern unless you were to use the axles to their maximum torque.  I would install new seals and bearings without any worries. As you said they weren't leaking when you removed them. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo