96 Bronco w/ 351W loss of power and acceleration after running it arou

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbeard826

Reaction score
Why does it run and shift perfectly until I've drove it for a few hours, then after a few hours of pittling around town or leaving idling for a while,,when I hit it out on main road it's like it cant accelerate however the engine seems to have the power... It's like a miss or Trany not catching...it just won't down shift and hook up...I can baby the throttle a get it up to 60mph. All the while taking off from a green light seems to have the romp..just when I lay the throttle down its like its smothered. Rpms are getting up but no acceleration

I can let it sit over night and drive it in morning and she will flat out get it!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jbeard826,

As Fred advised.

Write any code (s) found down. Some store folks may just say TPS, OR VSS. But that may not mean a new TPS or ignition module is required, could be a bad ground or fouled connector.

OP
OP
J

Jbeard826

Reaction score
So turns out only code is the EGR and that wouldn't cause what I have going on. I'm going to have a lead mechanic at a local shop drive it and see if he can at least determine if it's engine or Trany related. It's just weird. Runs great cold, after a while of pittling around town I hit it and it just tries to go but can't. Taking off(1st gearish) it's got power fine, but sluggish and smothered beyond that.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

OK,

Here is the 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by FORD via

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

E4OD

Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD

1996 All F-Series and Bronco with E4OD Automatic Transmission Workshop Manual

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

Diagnosis by Symptom

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj71a24.htm#extract_1037

Without a code, this is what a Ford mechanic would inspect and test;

For Poor Vehicle Performance:

Possible Component Reference/Action

253 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE

Powertrain Control System

Perform torque converter operation test.

Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, other engine related items:

torque converter clutch solenoid,

throttle position sensor,

transmission range (TR) sensor, miesk5 note, this could be faulty and will NOT SET A CODE under certain circumstances,

transmission fluid temperature sensor.

Run On-Board Diagnostics. miesk5 note, this is the code test.

Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis. Perform Service Manual Pinpoint Tests B, C and D using Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085, Cable and Overlay 007-00107 and the Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Cable "B" (MLPS Manual Lever Position Sensor Tester Cable) 007-00086 or equivalent as outlined in this section. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

353 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE

Shift Linkage (Internal/External) or Cable

Damaged, misadjusted

Inspect for damage. Service as required. Verify linkage adjustment as outlined. After servicing linkage, verify that the transmission range (TR) sensor is properly adjusted. Refer to In-Vehicle Service in this section.

Shift Scheduling

Perform Shift Point Road Test procedure as outlined in this section.

Improper

Go to the appropriate diagnostic routines for shift concerns

No. 210-211.

Engagements

Improper gear selection

Go to the appropriate diagnostic routines for shift concerns

No. 215/315.

Converter Clutch Always Applied

Go to routine No. 341.

Converter One-Way Clutch

Damaged

Go to Torque Converter Checks in this section.

See

No Shift 3-2, Routine 224/324

&

No Shift 2-1, Routine 225/325

Look through the Symptoms for more.

From your information do you agree it may be heat related? It seems to be Hall Effect, also called the Profile Ignition Pick-up (PIP) Signal, & TFI Module failures due to heat.

Was the TFI Module replaced?

A major cause of failure is heat, especially typical on Ford, is intermittent failure. The vehicle runs okay for a while, then stops. When it cools, it runs okay for a while longer. Then it stops again. And so on. This is a fairly certain indication of a heat failure fault. But a code is usually set.

If the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check spark plugs wires. Plugs that indicate a lean fuel condition may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor. See http://www.aa1car.com/library/spark_plug_fouling.htm

*** or an EGR valve that is stuck open. ***

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke