Power Steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auggie

Reaction score
I have a leak in the front side of the power steering pump.  What is the general consensus......replace seals or replace with new pump? 

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Not sure what brand it is.....have 2 pics.

There are no marks or names anywhere that I can see on the pump.  The leak is coming from the front seal (side the pulley is on).

If there is a location on the pump i should be looking for identification let me know and I will check for it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
From the pics.., that's an orig. pump that came on the EB's.  They work fine.  (some folks switch to the Delphi pump)

There's a kit for your pump.  Mostly, the large "O" rings fail.

Have not done mine yet but my bud did his.  Said it was pretty easy.  Just don't want to bend/tweek the

the can.

OR you can get a re-built one at parts stores.

Seabronc

Reaction score
The Saginaw will make the steering super sensitive on the smaller Broncos, even to the point of being well over sensitive.  I put the Saginaw conversion on my 83 FSB with 31 x 12.5 tires and it took a bit to get use to the sensitivity.  Nice one finger steering though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

:)>-

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
I am going to try the kit....can't hurt for $14. I replaced the 33's that were dry rotted with smaller all terrains.  So I am hoping the pump will cooperate with a rebuild.  I do have some play in the steering, probably the steering box? Any suggestions for tightening up the steering after I get the pump right?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
The P/S box has no adj. per-se.., that ***** is for factory (spec.) settings.  OR is used after a re-build.

Moving it could cause binding.

With a helper, get front wheels off the ground & wiggle the steering wheel while watching ALL the

connections at the str. shaft joints, the box input shaft, the pitman arm, and all the tie-rod connections.

If there's slop.., you'll see it.

The hot set-up is to get rid of that "inverted Y" set-up that came on the 76&77 EB's.

If they're not "sloppy" then hold off a while.

Your suppliers have kits that return the linkage to the 67-75 style.  (again, only it yours is wore out)

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Hello Again All...............

I am looking for the referenced "Your suppliers have kits that return the linkage to the 67-75 style."  I looked on JBG and see 2 different styles for the kit. One is

Item Number: 12725, the other is Item Number 12727.

The second one says "adjustable".  These both fit the 77?

clear.gif

clear.gif

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Jeffs wouldn't let me in ---- some sort of virus/malware problem.

Below is what you need;

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category/66-77-bronco-steering-linkage  

Part # 3880

These are adjustable in 4 diff. places so as to get correct alignment & steering wheel straight.

Especially with a lift.  (It's called out as 3 way adjustable)

Jeffs is likely the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
I saw that too, but Tom's wants almost $100 more for the same part.  The only difference I see is Tom's has it listed for the 77 Bronco and JBG has it listed for the 66-75.......also there is something about having to ream out the pitman arm to get the new tie rod to fit???  That sounds like some serious drilling.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
It's a '66-'75  Design made to fit a '76-'77 Bronco.

They struggle wording that so it's understandable.

It is.., & should be called out as a "conversion" kit..!!  

The reason for all this is;  the "Y" design of '76-'77 is faulty & a poor design.

There is, however, a new tierod & draglink  set available for '66-'75

"........something about having to ream out the pitman arm to get the new tie rod to fit??? 

That sounds like some serious drilling."  (think this is in place of replacing the pitman arm)

Some kits/mods do require reaming (maybe they all do) (I don't have that year rig) but.., it's not difficult at all.

Do your homework.  Read all info. carefully. Know what you're buying.

At the end of the day.., rarely do folks replace their worn out  "Y" style with a NEW "Y" style.

Most all go to the early model  "T"  style.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Actually.., just noticed.., we stepped on your own thread about P/S pumps..!!!  :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The linkage subject requires it's own thread......

When you come back with additional info..,  start a new thread.

(don't think there's a way to move these last few posts.)

A new thread needs to be started with ea. problem/issue. (less confusing & a board rule)   >:D< <'>

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
I see there has been some mix up.....well, the power steering pump has been replaced and working great.   I put a new 3 way adjustable tie rod system and steering is greatly improved.  I will be sure to separate problems in the future.  Thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno