Transmission woes......surprised? I'm not.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auggie

Reaction score
Had noticed transmission was shifting rough, but was shifting through the range..R,N,D (of course automatically running thru 1,2,then D).  Now the big baby refuses to get any further then 2nd gear and I am fearing the tranny has decided that it wants some attention too.  Any ideas of something I can try to get the shifting back to normal or just call the flatbed and have it sent to the boys who love to dismantle these things?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ditto what Bob said, if there is fluid in the line the modulator diaphragm is bad and you will need to replace the modulator.  If no fluid in the vacuum line, then make sure the line is good and connected to a main vacuum port.

:)>-

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!  Yes, first thing I checked was the fluid when engine was warm....level was good and fluid was clean.  I will do some checking this weekend before loading it on the flatbed.  Thanks again....I'll be in touch.

Seabronc

Reaction score
We are not talking about the trany fluid level.  We are talking about the shift modulator located at the rear right side of the trany.  It connects to main vacuum via a vacuum line.  If there is fluid in that line, then the diaphragm in the shift modulator is bad.  There should never be fluid in the line.  Also if there is no fluid, then make sure the line is connected to to the main vacuum tree on the intake,the same one the brake booster is connected to.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
I thought Top Gun's post was referring to amount of fluid in the trans.........checking lines today and modulator.  What should I be looking for in the kick down rod as far as "slop" is concerned?

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score

In looking at the transmission linkage I see two levers...one leads down from the shift column and the other ( one with string attached) I have no idea what its purpose is.  Is it supposed to be attached somewhere other than the side of the transmission housing?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hard to tell if there's anything attached to the point in the pic with the string..?

If not.., that's where the kick down rod (passing gear shifter) connects. the other end of the rod goes to the

carb linkage up by the carb.

The modulator is the more important task at this time.

Do you have a parts catalog from the main EB suppliers..?  There's several all over the country.

WHERE ARE YOU..??

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Saint Augustine......Florida.

I was just about to examine the modulator when I noticed the lever not attached to anything.......just was thinking if that had anything to do with shifting...it was not attached.  The transmission was working fine for about two weeks when I first got the truck...just started not shifting...modulator about to come off.  I have been using LMC Truck catalog along with web sites...Bronco Graveyard and Tom's Broncos.......for illustrations and part placement.

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Okay, modulator had no water in the line or modulator. Vacuum hose appeared to be a bit loose fitting around modulator.

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
I realized you had said fluid...not water...there was no fluid in the line...there was in the modulator, but only on the transmission side, not the vacuum hose side

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Vacuum line has very good suction after installing new section of vacuum hose top and bottom.  Also moved vacuum hose from pass side carb to driver's side port as recommended by Edelbrock FAQs.  There is no kick down rod attached to extra lever...is that a necessary part?  The truck shifted fine, including "passing gear" as I said for the first few weeks. Any ideas on how I had passing gear then and now can't get out of second? Sure hope you guys can keep me from throwing that baby on a flat bed!  :)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
My auto trannie knowledge is a bit limited. Some others may chime in.

The kick-down, I believe, just makes it more precise.

I've heard others say their auto down shifts W/O the kick-down rod.

Soooo.., with the new vac. hoses all working.., still won't up shift..?  Assume you get 1st. gear.

Torque converter comes to mind but  I'm not the one that can help past what we've already covered.

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Thanks TG....I get 1st and 2nd...just will not make the next step to 3rd....will try the column linkage next I guess unless anyone else jumps in with more info.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

See if this pdf file from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has the shift linkage diagrams

http://broncograveyard.com/file/907-Technical+Diagrams.pdf

Part oF Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1967-1977 Bronco Shop Manuals

@ http://broncograveyard.com/rt-1273-technical-diagrams-archives.html

My lousy tablet can't get past Adobe reader now.

http://www.bronco.com/graphics/tech/images/C4ShiftLinkage.GIF

1966-77 C4 Shift Linkage Adjustment

Kick Down Rod - C4 Automatic Transmission

Kick Down Rod - C4 Automatic Transmission Kick Down Rod Fits:1966-77 Ford Bronco C4 Automatic

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/images/transparent-box.gif

OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Thanks Miesk5.....the c4 diagram is what I needed for reference.....I was not able to open the last gif file from Tom's Bronco. Not sure what was in there.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Auggie

Auggie

Reaction score
Had to ulltimately let the shop put in a rebuilt.......innards were just too badly worn and had too much slip.  Thanks for all the advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke