79 Bronco Starting Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco Owner 101

Reaction score
I was driving my 79 bronco perfectly fine when I went to stop it at my job site and 20 minutes later I come out and it wont start. It makes this funny constant screech, it will almost start, even the exhaust pops. But wont finish the cycle to start up and run. I replaced the starter, solenoid,  and battery cables are hooked up and cleaned. I just don't know what to do, its my baby and its been sitting now for 3 months and no one can help, the timing is on and everything just wont start and makes that weird constant sound when I try to turn it over. Someone please help. 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Any strong gas aroma?

Cold Starting Problem

POSSIBLE CAUSE

1) Choke not closing.

2) Choke linkage binding.

3) No gas in carburator

4) Accelerator pump defective or blown out.

5) No spark or engine problems such as bad compression.

6 vacuum leak somewhere.. check hoses for deterioration, check vacuum operated devices for same.

http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8576/images/85764080L.gif

CORRECTION

1) Inspect choke adjustment and for something binding. Adjust if necessary.

2) **** with WD-40 and check for something bent. Adjust if necessary.

3) Check fuel delivery. Look for plugged filter or clogged lines, bad pump, stuck needle & seat, and fuel pressure.

4) Replace the pump. Problem is usually caused by bad gas, dirt in gas, or vacuum leak or ignition problems causing engine spitback.

5) Diagnose & correct the problem.

Screech could be caused by loose starter bolts or flywheel issue, or a bad belt.

Spark? Remove a spark plug.

Plug one of the spark plugs back into its spark plug boot, and ground the body of the plug by placing the metal threaded portion against a metal part of the engine. Have a friend crank the engine with the key. Make sure there is no gasoline near the plug, and don’t hold the plug or wire with your hands, wear a glove. Just sit it down and watch. You should see a clear spark between the electrodes. If you don’t, then you have an electrical problem.

How to Check Engine Compression by AA1Car

http://www.aa1car.com/library/compression.htm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke