1988 Bronco neutral safety switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBSteal

Reaction score
New member here I just introduced myself in the other forum and now I have a tech question. My Bronco was just purchased from Az a month ago it currently is equipped with the 351, C-6 auto with manual shift transfer case which I assume is all stock. The problem is it starts in gear and doesn't currently have reverse lights both of which are no-nos in Pa. So I removed the neutral safety switch which is in horrible shape (bare wires at the switch body, green contacts inside) and notice that it has a jumper wire connected at the end of the switch side of the harness right before it plugs into the body side harness between the red with blue stripe wires which I guess are the  wires for the starter. I figure no problem I'm just going to replace the whole thing anyways, but my problem is  that my connector has 6 pins which is the switch for a C-6 with electric shift transfer case (which I don't have) and it is no longer available from the parts stores, only the 4 pin connector switches for the C-6 without electric shift transfer cases are available. I even looked on Bronco Graveyard and they don't list them either. So my option is to buy the 4 pin connector for 52 bucks cut the end off and splice my 6 pin end on hoping the unused wires are for the electric shift which I assume I don't have. What I cant understand is how does the person with the electric shift transfer case replace his neutral safety switch. I know this is kind of confusing and work done by previous owners is sometimes  hard to figure out and muddies the water but if anyone has encountered this situation or has some insight  for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
B

BBSteal

Reaction score
Hey Seabronc thanks for the quick response. I tried LMC truck but they don't have the 6pin connector switch only the 4. I called Jeffs Bronco Graveyard and they also only have the 4 pin and they told they think electric shift means the tranny doesn't use vacuum to shift but electric I'm not so sure about that but we'll see. I also tried Ford and a local tranny shop who built me a tranny for my Ltd back in the day with no luck at either. I just found a place on the internet called Henrys Parts Depot that sells obsolete Ford parts. I called and talked to Ray (sounds like an old timer) who is going to look around for the part and if they don't have it he will at least get me a good part number, so I will keep my fingers crossed. This situation is killing me because in June I'll be going to the Ford nationals in Carlisle with the Capri and probably be able to find it there but I want to get the Bronco running safe and inspected asap. I'm impatient and really want to drive it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Here is some info...

Cc wrote elsewhere...

:I have an 87 fsb with a 351 with a bad neutral safety switch. The replacements I have found only have a 4 pin connection. The one I took off has a 6 pin connection."

HB replied... "you need the nss for a c6 with electric transfer case, I had the same issue.. Even though I have a manual shift TC.

should be this part# or replacement for this part # SW-2120 I went with a SMP NS92 from auto value"

Cc replied..."Thanks yall worked good"

I researched this in 2012 and found this..

Switch - Neutral Safety / Backup Lamp NS-92 w/ 3 Speed Trans.; w/ Electronic Shift transfer case Connector Gender Female Maximum Vehicle Quantity 1 Number of Electrical Connectors 1 Number of Terminals 6 Number of Wires 6 Terminal Gender Male Terminal Type Pins

And..=========== Neutral Safety Switch (also referred to as Back-Up Switch) Wiring Diagram (Partial) & Color Codes in an 89 5.8 C6; "...The lights in the back you are asking about are called Backup lights. A diagram of the circuit is attached. Do you have a volt meter? If you do, then turn the key to run and place the transmission in ® reverse. At the lamp socket check for 12 volts, (run a jumper lead all the way to the battery (-) rather than depending on the body metal for your ground). If you have 12V at the center contact in the light socket, you have ab ad ground. If you do not have 12 volts at the center contact of the light socket, go back to the Pink with black stripe wire at the transmission switch. If no 12 volts there check the other side of the switch (purple with orange stripe). I think you get the idea. When you get 12V the problem is between that point and the lamp socket. It could be either a corroded contact in a connector, a broken wire or the switch. I did not include the fuse because it also provides power for the turn signals..." Source: by Ford via Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/topic/21322-more-electrical-issues/page__gopid__111775&?do=findComment&comment=111775

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
I though i had issues with my NSS because my reverse lights worked intermittently.  I was lucky, I found a hard to find replacement from Greens Auto Sales (found on google), which is actually an excellent resource for new old stock (NOS) ford parts.  After switching out the NSS, i still had the same issue.  For me, the problem was in the bunched up wire loom and connectors on the drivers side, close by the firewall, that run to/from the NSS and/or reverse lights.  The connectors and wiring were worn and had visual signs of deterioration.  I was able to find the wiring for the circuit responsible for the reverse lights.  Wiggled it a little bit, and wah lah..reverse lights again.  

All that to say, check your wiring at the loom...Then again, if the previous owner did a hack job, wigglin the wiring at the loom probably won't help.  Give Greens Auto Sales a call for the correct NSS.

Adding link to this post, Seabronc http://www.greensalescompany.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BBSteal

Reaction score
Well I finally found and have in my possession a hens tooth, oh no wait I meant to say a 1988 Ford Bronco 6 pin connector neutral safety switch pt# E7TZ-7A247-A. From how this search went I may have the last NOS 2120 switch in existence. I tried all the resources posted above but all turned up 0 results. But then on tues Ray from Henrys Parts Depot called me back and told me a friend of his who had just sold the part I needed tracked one down for me at Matlock Ford in Ind. I called them on Wed morn and talked to Mike who seemed to know what I was going to ask for and started describing the part to me as I described it to him. I thought this was odd but he said he had the part on the counter in front of him because mine was the 3rd call on the part that morning. With that I asked how much and how many did he have, when he said he only had one I told him to wrap it up and send it to me asap. It cost me 89.00 with tax and shipping, I got it this afternoon and hopefully with good weather will install it Sunday. Ray from Henrys Parts Depot 714-997-8895 was great to talk to and really came through for me I highly recommend him to anyone looking for obsolete parts especially the real old stuff. Thanks guys for the quick responses I'll let you know how it goes.  Also B-co Kid I really like the looks of your Bronco, stance is great.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Some of the parts guys at Ford dealerships are real good. My local Ford parts man tracked down what is in my opinion the most expensive part I ever bought, based on it's size and weight, the spring contact for the horn on a tilt column, $36.00.  It is about 1 inch long and made of fine wire, probably weighs a couple of grams.  

The point being, if you find a guy like that, hang on to them.  Their stock program can query every dealers system to find out what parts they have in stock, you just have to get them to do it.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
B

BBSteal

Reaction score
Well despite the 37 degree temp and numb fingertips I managed to install my neutral safety switch this afternoon. The Bronco now only starts in drive and neutral and my reverse lights work. Putting the switch in was pretty easy the only tricky part is the adjustment process. Before I ventured into the cold I cut a piece about 4inches long out of a wire coat hanger and using my old switch as a test subject determined how far in the hanger needed to go into the switch to make the adjustment, then marked it with masking tape. This made the process much smoother outside and the coat hanger is the perfect size for the hole in the switch. Now on to my next project trying to find the plastic wedge type clips that hold the lower chrome windshield trim on.

OP
OP
B

BBSteal

Reaction score
Hey Seabronc I already looked at those parts #9 at LMC. They are the metal clips that are riveted to the body, I need the plastic wedge type clips that slid into the chrome trim. Thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
OK, got ya. I'll look, it is possible I have some of them out in the garage.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BBSteal

Reaction score
Hey Seabronc thanks for the offer, I am heading to a junkyard Saturday so I'll see what I find there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke