Beginning of 85 bronco restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCollarAnarchist

Reaction score
I just bought a 1985 ford bronco xlt v8 with a 351w and a new process transfer case. It only has 1340000 miles on it and has only been through two owners. Father and son. I am buying it for 700 dollars. And now the catch, I had stars in my eyes when I bought it. Thought as long as I had it I could make it work. Seei work for a van conversion company for big important people. Rappers and football team owners. So I know how to design. Ive also made furniture, and taken automotive. I really have plans. But I dont know where to start when it comes to stripping it down. The engine and everything needs to be rebuild. The frame needs to be sandblasted and probably have new hangers and cross members but in. And I have alot of body work to do and I dont even know how to weld yet. But were do I start with the who thing. Any pointers on this ground up restoration. More pictures to come

IMG_20151006_171852.jpg

IMG_20151006_171841.jpg

IMG_20151006_171859.jpg

IMG_20151006_172020.jpg

IMG_20151006_171909.jpg

IMG_20151006_172016.jpg

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi BCA..., welcome..!!

Start by posting these, & your many other questions in the General Ford Bronco discussion slot.

You'll get many more followers there.  (or the tech. slot)

The intro. slot is just for the hello's.............. >:D< <'>

Enjoy the project..,

B

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />< 

That is in pretty rough shape. Not bad though for 1.3 million miles :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.  All joking aside, mine was not quite in that bad of shape when I finally decided to do a second round of rebuild, take a look at my pictures at the link below.  While you are at it, take lots of before, durring, and after pictures. 

The real problem area I see in your pictures is at the bottom of the B-post, rockers, and rear tub support.  Ford designed in those rust areas and could have solved it but apparently wanted that to happen so they could sell you a new one.  It's the 5 year rule, but we are too tough for "Ford Tough". A lot of the skin metal can be replaced with complete new metal available from an Auto body supply or via sites on the internet ie. http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=15 more where that came from.  Also http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Bronco-80-86/products/1161/  You will be better off replacing the tailgate frame and skin with new, that is unless you want to have to do it again in a few years.  Watch out for the tailgate torsion bar "Bear Trap", it will break bones if caught by it.  I told another member how to properly disarm it, so when it comes time, ask.

The lower B-post will have to be rebuilt or replaced by one from a junker that survived, I did mine using the lower B-post off a junker with good metal, same with the rockers.  As far as the rear tub support, I cut the back 2 feet off of a 96 and then disassembling the pieces cleaning up rust, rustproofing and reassembling on my truck.  The tailgate support will most likely be in real bad shape on yours like it was on mine, that came with the 2 ft of rear end I cut off.

Good luck, you have a job ahead of you, I enjoyed doing it on mine, took a year and a half, part time as I could get at it.

:)>-

P.S.

Like Bob said, when you start and have questions, posst in the tech support forum section.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke