LOST BRAKE LIGHT/TURNSIGNAL/HAZARDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad1993

Reaction score
[1993 xlt 5.0] I was driving to work yesterday and I noticed my voltage gauge do a little dance and was sitting a little past the M on NORMAL for the voltage reading... I then was leaving work and noticed I had absolutely no tail lights or blinkers or hazards BUT reverse lights do work. I drove home in the dark with just my headlights on and the ass end of the truck was completely dark.. I went to push the hazards and it reved the engine up to 2 grand so I'm thinking it is unlocking my torque converter but I'm not 100% certain...got it home and discovered fuses # 7 and #13 were blown I put a new 13 in pushed the brake pedal it blew the fuse I took the 3rd brake light out took the bulbs out and the taillights out and the bulbs to makensure a fowl bulb wasn't the issue. Put another fuse in and it popped again so messed with #7 fuse put a new one in turned key on put right turn signal on it blew the fuse..then replaced the fuse and turned the turn signal to the left and the blinkers started going and the fuse did not pop... I am lost I am thinking it might possibly be the multifunction switch but I want to hear from all of you what your thoughts are...this is my first bronco had it for 7 months it is absolutely spot on perfect no rust never gave me any problems until now. ~thanks

ksmoker

Reaction score
This sounds eerily similar to an issue I had with my 1982 XLT, 5.8- No turn signals, brake lights or marker lights. Only the headlights worked- my issue turned out to be the Turn Signal Switch, they are apparently notorious for breaking.  Pretty easy fix, the hardest part is pulling the steering wheel and pigtailing the new Switch, as the connectors won't fit through the steering column. Hope this helps, good luck!

OP
OP
B

Bad1993

Reaction score
Update I replaced the turn signal switch just now and i still have no brake lights the turn signal only works towards the left if I put it to the right it blows the fuse instantly..I have no idea what I'm doin wrong.. Any ideas?

OP
OP
B

Bad1993

Reaction score
Its fixed...earlier that week I replaced a fuel sending unit float and when I replaced the tank I pinched a wire and it made everything electric in that truck freak out. Still though the turn signals go very fast and the hazard button will rev the truck up but I can live with that.. Lol

Elmo

Reaction score
Remove the bulbs and operate the turn signal switch. I have seen bulbs cause this issue.

OP
OP
B

Bad1993

Reaction score
Tail light bulbs are now Sylvania LED and it still does the same thing fast turn signals and hazards rev the rpms ONLY when moving

Elmo

Reaction score
sounds like a grounding issue. Grounds are the only thing the hazards and rpm have in common.

OP
OP
B

Bad1993

Reaction score
While diagnosing the pinned to E fuel gauge that same day this all happened (btw float had a hole in it had to drop the 33gal tank 3/4 full)I searched where the grounds were for the instrument cluster and then for the sending unit I unbolted them and cleaned them with a wire brush then bolted them back down and applyed dialetric grease. Wondering if I messed something up or if I damaged something when I unbolted the ground wires.. I'll check that this weekend (location for sending unit ground passenger kick panel) (location for instrument cluster ground top radiator support) in case anyone is curious.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo