86 bronco starts and shuts off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M1llionb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new here, and new to my 86 bronco. I am not an expert. I have little knowledge in fixing vehicles. With that being said, this is the issue at hand. My bronco starts and then turns off. It stays on for 3-5 seconds. These are the parts I've replaced, fuel pump inside the tank and the one on the chassis. The fuel pump relay And fuel pressure regulator. I was reading I should try changing the ICM but I can not locate. Please help. Thank you

Jgrden

Reaction score
This sounds like a job for the Supreme Commander. ​ am wondering if it is carbonated or fuel injected.  My '85 is fuel injected. 

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, if it is an 86 302L engine, it is fuel injected.  One of the first thins you need to determine is if it is ignition or fuel before you change any parts.  Throwing parts at it only costs you a bunch more that it should.  After it quits, check to see if it has spark, a very easy task.  After it stops running, pull one of the plug wires and see if it will arc to the engine block while someone else tries to start it.  You should get a clean blue spark that will jump about a 1/4 inch, not a weak orange spark that only jumps when the end of the wire is almost touching the block. 

Report back with the result.

:)>-

OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
At first I knew it was gas because the fuel pump relay was dead. Now the truck ignites but it dies. I put a ***** driver at the end of a cable and put the ***** driver to a bolt. And it's sparking but I did not pay attention to the color.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
The fuel pump seems not to shut off. I hear it on even after I remove the key from the ignition.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M1llionb

M1llionb

Reaction score
Seabronc, Thank you for your help! I apologize for the late response but I'm still new to the website. My truck now stays on and turns off without a problem. It was the fuel pump relay!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke