Alternate wiring ideas for license plate light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowker88

Reaction score
I am building out a '69 Bronco and I'm at the point where we are cleaning up the body and hopefully painting soon.  One of things the body shop pointed out to me were 3 holes all vertically aligned on the left hand side of the tailgate (if facing it from the rear) next to the license plate. After looking into it, the holes are designed for a wire to enter the bottom, then exit the tailgate at a very narrow part, and then feed through again towards the top, ultimately providing electricity to the light bulb that illuminates the license plate.

I am sure the experienced Bronco owners know what I am describing, but ultimately my question is this.... Is there a prettier way to provide electricity to the license plate light?  It seems like a very archaic and obtrusive way to feed light to a small bulb with wiring exposed. I get that it's a 40-year old design so I'm wondering if this was improved up on in later Broncos or if anyone has gotten creative with running a wire through the pivot point where the tailgate opens and is closest to the body.  

I would appreciate any feedback... again just looking for a better way since I am building practically from scratch. Thanks!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
What you're describing is correct & factory. The lic. plate hides it for the most part.

The gate isn't 100% hollow (like later models) so that's the routing.

First time this has come up.  You could re-route at your own peril.

Let us know if it works.  Keep in mind the gate is removable.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke