New owner of 1985 Bronco II. HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCreighton13

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 1985 Bronco II and replaced the flywheel, throw out bearing, clutch, starter, cylenoid, ***** cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and valve cover gaskets and everything was running great. One day I went riding, and all of a sudden it started sputtering and went dead and left me stranded with no cell service. So I thought it was just the fuel pump. Replaced it and now it will crank and idle fine and then will start sputtering and go back dead. Maybe something to do with the float in the carburetor but not sure? Anyone had these problems and if you have any help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey TC welcome.

First a few questions:

Do you know for sure it's a fuel problem?

When it sputters and stalls will it start back up easily?

Have you replaced the fuel filter?

If you answered yes to these questions there is a good chance that the carb is needing a rebuild./ and the fuel tank may be full of undesirable debris.

Since you just bought it there is a chance it sat for some time and all sorts of gunk accumulated in the fuel system.

Good Luck

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ditto Rons points..!!

3 ingredients are req. to make an eng. purr.  Air, fuel, spark.

However.., I often forget to mention another important  item.  The "exhaust"..!

Some time back, I had a muffler implode & block the exhaust. Vehicle barely ran but I made it

to the dealership.  Really..., I was shocked to learn this could happen.

Just something else to consider. (Muffler & cat. converter)

Does this rig have a "check engine" light..?

It likely has the Ford Duraspark ignition, that have been known to fail intermittently.

OP
OP
T

TCreighton13

Reaction score
Ron, it does not crank easily after it stalls. If you wait a 1-2 hours it will crank, run good for a minute, start sputtering and stall again. I've changed the fuel filters and it still did the same thing. I figured it had to be a fuel problem because the way it sounded.

Bob, the exhaust does have some major holes in it so it could be the exhaust like you said. I'm not quite sure as to whether it has a check engine light. All I know is there is some problems in the wiring because it is lit up like a Christmas tree.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"All I know is there is some problems in the wiring because it is lit up like a Christmas tree."

Not sure what this means..? What is lit up..?  Do you mean the dash instrument lights..?

"I'm not quite sure as to whether it has a check engine light."

Turn the key to "on" (not start)  Several lights should appear on the instrument panel.

One could be  "check engine" or "service engine soon"

Wouldn't hurt to scan for codes wheather it lights up or not.

Holes in the exhaust aren't good but wouldn't likely cause your problem.

However, they could be a clue as to the internal condition of the muffler &/or the cat. converter. 

BTW.., did you do the work described above or did you contract it out..?

If you didn't & are not mechanically inclined.., you'll need to get the service book & do the basics

outlined in the troubleshooting section.

One check is to pull a couple of plugs & inspect their condition. There's clues there.

Point being.., it's tough giving advice to a novice.  There's too many ways to get hurt or do damage

to a vehicle.   That would ruin our day....  :((

b2girl

Reaction score
I had the same issue after my fuel pump went out on b2

So this may or may not help but worth a shot!

My fuel pump wiring clip was broken and rattling loose causing no power to the pump.

Check that your clip is in place and not being rattled loose and also make sure the connections are clean!

OP
OP
T

TCreighton13

Reaction score
The fuel pump on my b2 is mechanical b2girl.. But the previous owner of my b2 had a new gas tank installed and it looks as if there is an electric fuel pump too. Haven't had the time to check and see if it was functioning. Does anyone know as to whether it has two fuel pumps? One low pressure on high pressure maybe??

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"One low pressure on high pressure maybe??"

That could be the case with fuel injection. However, the hi press. one would be the second one.

I've seen dual fuel pumps inline.., one being normal low pressure electric.

PO's do strange things. Usually this would be a band-aid for a problem.

"..looks as if there is an electric fuel pump too."

RU sure you're not just seeing sending unit wires..?

OP
OP
T

TCreighton13

Reaction score
See, my b2 in carbureted not fuel injected. The mechanical pump bolts to the block and was heck to get out.

Bully Bob, I'm not sure as to whether it was sending unit wires. I glanced at it one night when I pulled in my driveway. I thought maybe the new fuel tank the PO had put on might have been a used one with a fuel pump in it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Here again.., this is why we have the signature section for ea. member to fill-in.

(you see it at the bottom & left of my posts. it shows every post)

Everything you know, don't know, see, mods, engine, transmission, PO disasters, location,

mechanical experience, etc., etc.

That way, it saves all these shot-in-the-dark guesses.

We have to ask more questions than the orig. poster does in order to get a handle on a problem.

This insures many folks with knowledge that could help you, won't bother.

I would suggest you fill-in your info. pages for timely, more accurate help.

"I thought maybe the new fuel tank the PO had put on might have been a used one with a fuel pump in it."

Anything's possible but this is highly unlikely. In-tank pumps are "hi-pressure" & your system isn't

designed for it.  Unless the eng. was swapped out for a lessor engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke