Frame Dimensions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMonhollen

Reaction score
Starting a rebuild of my 1992 FSB. I found a really good rust-free frame that hasn't been wrecked at a local junkyard. The frame from the junkyard is a 1991 model. Can I swap everything from my 92 to the 91 frame without any major modifications?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

EMonhollen

Reaction score
The reason I am getting a different frame is the one on my 92 is bent behind the drivers side radius arm. There are way too many new parts on my 92 that are like new or are new. Someone had started a restore/rebuild on the 92 but wrecked it and damaged the drivers side fender, door, and hood. After careful inspection, none of the front end parts are aligned correctly, mainly the body parts.

MarkBright'67

Reaction score
Hi EMon. ! Welcome ! ..for the "little" i know..there aren't problems about this kind of operation. (then i'll wait with you for Miesk & Co. to make sure of that..plus..they could tell you how to do step by step ,***** by ***** ..lol) . Good luck for your job n post some pics ! :)>-

OP
OP
E

EMonhollen

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I will post some pics of the bronco as it was when I bought it and what it looks like now. And how do I add pics?

OP
OP
E

EMonhollen

Reaction score
I went to a frame shop, they said it might straighten, it might not. I am guaranteed a good frame from the junkyard, for $400 dollars.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo E,

Here are dimensions for 92-96 that have the Convolutes, Frame Rail (often called Crumple Zone & accordion) in front that are part of the crash protection design 1992-bronco-frame.jpg

*** The 91 does not have this crumple zone.***

This is by Steve; "...The 80-81 frame is dimensionally identical to the 82-86 frame; the only difference is the lightening holes. The 87-91 frame has some extra slots in the front horns for that style of front bumper bracket, and possibly a minor change to the front body mount (core support mount).

The accordion (crumple zone) frame is 2 inches longer in front than the others, though its bumper mounting tabs are about 1 inch closer to the core support. Most also have a reinforcement along the top edge at the lowest point (under the front doors)."

frameb8081.jpg

==

1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab and Bronco Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

Same as most earlier years exc. for OBD II in 96, 4WABS (93-96); ABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 ***** Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96); Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order (The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The firing order for 1994- 96 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.);

2-piece Spindle Rolling Diaphragm Seal (RDS) used on 5/95 to 96 Broncos & F Series 1/2-ton 4WD

and a few other items that I still need to research

See Section 02-01: Frame

SERVICE PROCEDURES

Diagonal or X-Frame Checking Method

NOTE: An alternate method of checking frame alignment is to use a frame gauge.

Frame alignment can be checked without removing the body from the frame (5005) by using the diagonal or X-frame checking method.

This method should be used to identify misalignment prior to any attempt to straighten a frame.

1.Place the vehicle on a clean, level floor and set the parking brake.

2.Select at least four points along the left frame side rail (5015) and transfer these points to the floor with a plumb bob. If desired, paper can be taped on the floor along both sides of the vehicle below the frame. Mark the points on the floor as accurately as possible.

3.Locate the corresponding points along the right frame side rail (5016) and transfer these points to the floor in the same manner.

4.Move the vehicle away from the marks on the floor, and measure diagonally between all points on the floor. Both measurements should be equal within 6.35mm (1/4 inch).

5.Measure between corresponding points parallel to the frame side rails. These measurements should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch) of each other.

The squareness of the frame side rail web to the floor at the spring hangers and at the steering gear mounting location should be within 1.59mm (1/16 inch). The squareness of the frame side rail web to the floor at all other points should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch). The web and ****** should be square at all other points within 3.18mm (1/8 inch).

Any point on one side rail should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch) ahead, behind, above, or below the corresponding point on the opposite side rail. The frame side rail should not be bowed more than 3.18mm (1/8 inch) for each 2540mm (100 inches) of frame length. The overall width of the frame should not vary more than 3.18mm (1/8 inch).

An alternate method of checking frame alignment is to use Rotunda Laser Measuring System 073-00451 or equivalent.

OP
OP
E

EMonhollen

Reaction score
So if the 1992 frame is 183.6 inches long and the 1991 is 180.5 inches, is everything going to bolt up the same or do I need to get a 92 frame?

OP
OP
E

EMonhollen

Reaction score
Dang it, that's what I was afraid of . Well I guess I am going to try to get my 92 frame straightened. Other then being bent, the frame is rust free, looks like it was a garage kept bronco that never had been in mud or snow . The frame looks like new, still gray and able to read every sticker and number marked on it.

OP
OP
E

EMonhollen

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! Can someone instruct me on how to post pics so I can show the progress of my rebuild as it is being done?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke