Not getting fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a good weekend, well decided to take the rig out today and ran into an issue. Try to start it and won't fire, checked for spark and everything there is fine. I pulled the fuel line after the filter and nothing. So I tried after the pump and still no fuel spitting out. I just replaced this pump two years ago so I'm hesitant to think it's out already.

I pulled the fuel line apart before it goes to the pump and I'm getting no fuel at all. I'm wondering if it's time to pull this old tank out and get it replaced (as I'm sure it's full of rust and dirt). Anyone have any advice? Do I need to pull the line running from the tank and replace? Maybe it's clogged? Or is there anything at the gas tank where I could pull apart?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"Do I need to pull the line running from the tank and replace?"

------ a couple options here ----

Do you have the tank switch-over valve under the driver seat..? (could be cloged or in the wrong position)

Try (with both ends of the fuel line disconnected) blowing compressed air from front to back with a

cloth on the back end to catch what, if anything, comes out. 

The pick-up tube in the tank is part of the sending unit. They came with a "screen" on them that can

get clogged. You could pull the sending unit & inspect. (need to be "low on fuel" )

Be careful, they're a bit fragle.

Tanks can be pulled (again, low on fuel is best) & boiled at a radiator shop.., or replaced.

You could test the pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Here's an update,

I pulled the line at the tank and gas came out fine, I also pulled line before the pump and shot a few sprays of compressed air. Nothing seemed to be blocking the line.

Now I'm thinking it may be the pump after all. As I said I had just replaced a few years back, should I remove and try cleaning? As there isn't much to these old mechanical pumps? Or is there an easy way to test the pump?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
With both lines off the pump.., with someone cranking the eng. over, put a finger on both intake & feed side of pump.

Just be careful of moving components...!!!

You should feel a slight suction (inlet) & puff of air on the feed side.

These pumps have "check-valves" ..., sometimes they get debris stuck in them.

If they're not working or the diaphragm is cracked, there's not much you can do except replace pump.

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
I just tried this out and definitely felt suction on inlet and a puff of air on the other side. Just seems to be no gas coming thru the line. Not sure what is next?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
If the main line is clear.., the pump is working.., the filter & line to the carb is clear.., then it

pretty much has to be a tank/pick-up tube issue.

It's easy to drain the tank down & pull the sending unit to insp. the pick-up tube.

(a 1 banana job)

Always de-fuel outside for fire safety reasons.

The tank is also pretty easy to remove if necessary.

P.S. is there a tank switching valve..? They came factory installed.

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Tank switching valve? Is this the rod under the driver seat? The rig only has the rear gas tank installed. The AUX tank was removed years back. Would this answer your question? I'm obviously a little new to working with the fuel lines.

I think next step with be to inspect the sending unit, may need to replace and get old tank cleaned at radiator shop or pick up a new one.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
The flat vertical area just below the front of the dr seat (at your heels) is where the valve was.

Aux. tank removed then the PO likely just continued the main line on to the pump.

Not a problem.., this would work fine.

He may have spliced the lines where the valve was with a rubber hose. Check to see if that hose is

in good condition if it exists.

Ya.., you just tap the locking ring counter clockwise (at the sending unit) & it will come loose.

Again, low on gas to do this. There's an "o" ring seal there to inspect upon removal.

Should you have to leave the sending unit/pick-up tube out for a long period of time  for repair

or replacement..., cover the hole with a metal, plastic, rubber, or even wood object,  & duct tape it in place

so fumes don't fill your garage.  OR leave the truck outside, or both. 

If you decide to remove the tank (30-60 min. job)...,the radiator shop will tell you if the tank can take

a cleaning, or if it's too far gone.., & likely won't charge you if it can't be cleaned.

(meaning it would likely leak through tiny rusted pin-holes)

You're doing a good job here.., keep us posted as you've been doing. & of course, post the end results.

HTH

B

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
No update, as the day job has been getting in the way lately. I was thinking about replacing my fuel line after the pump. I have heard a few people tell me the filter should be placed in front of the fuel pump?

Currently my fuel filter is placed after the fuel pump and I'm curious if there may be a clog somewhere in this area. As I noted before the line I sprayed compressed air through seemed clean, this is the only area I have not tested/replaced. I am thinking about running a new line from the pump to the carb, should I move the filter or is this the correct placement? Thanks

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Factory set-up is the filter after the pump.  I like to have both.., a filter B/4 the pump & after.  I use the

clear filters so I can spot & issue B/4 it gets serious. That's just me.., because I don't really trust the fuels these days.

The only things in the fuel system are; tank/sending unit/pick-up tube, the lines, pump & filter, & the carbs needle & seat.

You're doing fine as in checking & testing these units.  You'll find it soon I'm sure.

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
I decided to replace the fuel pump and replace the fuel lines from pump to carb. I am still not getting the engine to fire though. I did spray some starter fluid in the carb and she started right up, only for a second of course. My only guess now is the carb may need some maintenance?

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
The Bronco is back on the road! Looks like the fuel pump was the issue. I went out again today and tested for fuel after cranking a few times. After seeing good pressure I plugged the lines back in and she fired up! Thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke