Front Axle Assembly Clarification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 Bronco

Reaction score
Hoping to get a little help from the group.  I have recently started working on my Bronco again.  First up on the list is fixing/rebuilding a few parts of the front end.  Decided while I was working up there, and had the hub's pulled, that it was smart to go ahead and replace the u-joints.  When I pulled the axles I was shocked to find that there was no seal on the ends of the axle housings.  I can stick my finger in the housing and there is a large amount of mud built up in there and that just doesn't seem right to me.  The Haynes manual I have is really unclear when it comes to this.  A few of the exploded views shows a seal/slinger there and some do not.  I was hoping someone else has run into the same thing and could point me in the right direction.  Just to be clear, I'm working on a 78 Bronco with the factory front axle (pretty sure that's a Dana 44).

Thanks in advance!  Your assistance is much appreciated.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
The D-30 shows a inner & outer axle tube seal.

The D-44 shows the outer axle seal/slinger..., and an inner tube actual seal (near the diff.)

Apparently no "seal" as we know it, on the outer axle tube.

Wait for some more conformation...

Last edited by a moderator:

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
that's not a bad breakdown but it does not list any part numbers for the inner spindle parts.   there is a slinger pressed/driven onto the outer axle shaft (shown with the shaft) , some sources have 2 separate seals that go inside the spindle/against the spindle, one actually seals the shaft to the spindle and the other seals the spindle to the shaft/slinger.  Torrington bearing/inner spindle bearing was included in the kit I used to buy and I may be old and have burned out lots of brain cells over my years , the part number is still stuck in the archives.  kit made by CR and part number was............................is    "BK 1"  

I must have purchased a hundred of these kits in my 4 wheeling days, got so good at the job all my buddys would get me to do it for them.  payment is part of the reason I have small # of brain cells left :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

you may have to go to a parts place which has somebody able to read a paper manual ,  but there will be a change up .   might even be the same part# up to the 96 F150/Bronco. 

cheers James

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
YO,

DANA 44 Rebuild in a 78-79

Source: by OX1 (OX, Jim, James O) at http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=bigbroncos;id=12;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwebspace.webring.com%2Fpeople%2Feu%2Fum_9505%2Fdana_44_rebuild.htm

Jim has written Many 78-79 Bronco articles over the years

"excerpts; "... 17. AXLE SEALS ARE LOCATED TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF WHERE THE DIFFERENTIAL BEARING RACES WERE. THESE CAN BE PRIED OUT WITH A BIG SCREWDRIVER. ENSURE ***** DRIVER DOES NOT DAMAGE MACHINED SURFACE THAT DIFFERENTIAL BEARING RACES FIT INTO. SEALS MAY NEED A DECENT AMOUNT OF FORCE TO PRY OUT. SEAL IS TWO PARTS, THE SEAL AND A METAL GUIDE THAT GUIDES AXLE SHAFT THROUGH SEAL. BOTH PARTS MUST COME OUT.

18. ENSURE ALL DIRT/GUNK THAT HAS FALLEN INTO DIFF FROM PULLING OUT SEALS IS CLEANED. WIPE OUT INSIDE OF AXLE TUBE WHERE SEAL IS TO BE RE-INSTALLED.

19. NEW SEAL MAY BE DIFFERENT LOOKING THAN OLD SEAL. ACTUAL SEAL (RUBBER) PART MAY BE SMALLER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE REMOVED. COAT OUTSIDE OF SEAL ASSEMBLY (METAL PART) WITH A THIN COVERING OF GASKET MAKER. USING APPROPRIATE SIZE SOCKET (APPROX 2.25 OD), FORCE SEAL INTO HOUSING UNTIL IT IS FLUSH WITH END OF AXLE TUBE. WIPE ANY EXCESS GASKET MAKER.

27. INSPECT AXLE SHAFT U-JOINTS AND SEALS. SPICER SOLID, NON-GREASABLE U-JOINTS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE STRONGEST. MARINE GREASE IS INSTALLED TO SUPPOSEDLY KEEP OUT WATER. I AM INSTALLING THESE NOW AND WILL UPDATE LATER ON HOW THEY WORK. THE TWO SEALS ON OUTER PART OF EACH AXLE SHAFT ARE PART OF SPICER KIT # xx-xxxxx

28. REINSTALL AXLES. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN SHAFT IS ALMOST IN. GREASE SEALS YOU REPLACED INSIDE AXLE TUBES CAN BE DAMAGED EASILY. SUPPORT AXLE SHAFT SO THAT THE INSIDE END STAYS INTHE CENTER OF AXLE TUBE. OIL CAN BE APPLIED TO END OF SHAFT TO FACILITATE ENTRY (SOUNDS *****)!!

29 INSPECT HUB SEAL AND SMALL INTERNAL NEEDLE BEARING FOR WEAR. THIS SEAL AND BEARING ARE PART OF ABOVE MENTIONED KIT. SEAL COMES RIGHT OUT, BUT NEEDLE BEARING WILL HAVE TO BE PRIED OUT WITH ***** DRIVER. IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO DESTROY BEARING TO GET IT OUT.

30. INSTALL AXLE FLANGES AND CALIPER BRACKETS ON KNUCKLES. TORQUE 5 NUTS TO SPECIFICATION.

31. GREASE BEARINGS, INSTALL INNER BEARING AND INSTALL GREASE SEAL. GREASE SEAL CAN BE LIGHTLY TAPPED IN WITH HAMMER. I USE MARINE/4WD GREASE. SOME MARINE GREASE IS MADE FROM A DIFFERENT BASE THAN MOST GREASES AND CAN NOT BE MIXED. IF YOU USE THIS GREASE, MAKE SURE ALL OLD GREASE IS REMOVED FROM ALL BEARINGS/SURFACES..."

Parts Break-Out Diagram in 78-79 w/Nomenclature

Source: by Ford via http://web.archive.org/web/20111117131734/http://www.broncocity.com/78_79_techpages/78_79_dana44.htm

SEE Upper Left for Spindle Bearing & Seal

Bill of Material (BoM) Number, Date & Model Number Location Diagram

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20041209123849/http://completeoffroad.com/images/tech/DANA-ID.jpg

With BoM number see Dana for more info;

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Seems this has become a bit confusing/off track.

The seal in question is just inside the axle tube itself.

---Is there a "seal" there..?  (like the D-30 has)  The short answer is NO.

78 Bronco said;

"When I pulled the axles I was shocked to find that there was no seal on the ends of the axle housings."

Your assessment was correct..., no seal there. Apparently D-44's went to a  slinger which acts as a seal.

There is (as the exploded views show) a "SEAL" (with an axle guide) way up inside the axle tube to keep

the gear oil in place. It's only accessable from inside the pumpkin.

OP
OP

78 Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Bob. I've got the seal that goes inside the axle on either side of the differential. Just seemed odd to me that their wasn't (apparently isn't supposed to be) one on the ends of the housing. Now that this is resolved, I dont have much left to finish up the front end work, check that box, and put it back in the road!!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo