78 Tailgate Latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sarge'sdad

Reaction score
I bought this for my son right after high school. Over the years he has added a 6"lift and a built 429 . I've been trying to find a latch and can't. LMC led me in this direction.  He has trouble making the window work without pushing and pulling on the gate to make the latch fully engage.  . He doesn't seem to think it is the lock/key mechanism itself.

I would appreciate any insight into this issue you have. Thanks

100_1058.JPG

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Dad,

WELCOME!

Latch Differences; "...78-82 tailgate latches are significantly different from 83-96. Because they mount differently in the tailgate, neither the latches nor the t/g skins will interchange across those years. Their strikes that mount to the body can be interchanged with some effort..."

MIESK5 Note. In 78-82, both latches have to be closed since the interlock switch is mounted in the center mechanism;

NOTE; The safety switch was moved from the center (tailgate handle) to the left latch by 1983 by Seabronc

Latch Safety Switch

mechanism-all.jpg

shows the interlock switch installed on the center mechanism

tglatch7882.jpg

CHECK Rods to see if they are bent; and Plastic clip(s) for damage.

mechanism-inside.jpg

The rod running to the Left (down) is the interlock rod that detects the glass being fully down. It is supported by a clip similar to the ones used for the hood cable, and the ones visible here on the long latch rods. The one to the R (up) is the one from the inside handle. You can see that the mechanism it's attached to is bent. This comes from attempting to open the tailgate before the glass is FULLY down and it causes the inside handle not to return fully flat.

the long rods can be bent to take up any slack & get the latches to open at the same moment. But do so only AFTER

center-interlock.jpg

The numbers show the sequence of events for PROPER operation of the inside latch handle. 5 & 6 should be simultaneous, and the long rods can be bent to take up any slack & get the latches to open at the same moment. But do so only AFTER aligning the tailgate.

tgcentermech.jpg

Center Latch Mechanism from '95

Fits '78-96; includes all original fasteners, glass interlock rod, & inside pushrod grommet

I'll try to find the TG Parts Break-Out Diagram; our sponsor, Jeff's had it, but it was lost when the site was modified;

http://broncograveyard.com/rt-1273-technical-diagrams-archives.html

Our Sponsor, Jeff's Bronco graveyard has some parts you may need;

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Tailgate-Bronco/products/126/

Bronco Tailgate Alignment http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?5224-Bronco-Tailgate-Alignment

++++

also;

Bronco Tailgate Safety Latch Light

This can be any common 12V incandescent panel lamp. It's simply wired across the safety switch in a '78-96 Bronco tailgate. If the window doesn't work, and the lamp lights, the problem is that the safety switch isn't closed, probably due to the the tailgate latches not being fully closed, and the tailgate should be re-aligned. If the lamp DOESN'T light when the window won't move, the fault is elsewhere.

see more on this @ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/922714

by Steve

Seabronc

Reaction score
If pushing or pulling on the tailgate allows the window to it is most likely the stud that the latch grabs is in need of adjustment.  Loosen with a wrench and move back a bit and tighten back up.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo SEABRONC,

THANKS for pointing out the eziest part to check!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke