85 bronco II Won't Turn Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yos117

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 1985 bronco ii that I recently got. I was told it would not crank when you turned the key on but that is not the case. When you crank it the starter motor turns over just fine but in the front the crankshaft does not turn. The engine is not seized. So i took the starter out to see if the flywheel teeth were stripped and they were fine. I noticed that I can just spin the flywheel by hand. Any ideas as to what is wrong? Thanks in advance.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Yos.., welcome..!!

True wonderment there....

I think you found the problem. Is this a stick or auto. .?

What do you mean "you can spin the flywheel" ..?  Do you mean you can move it slightly, a little at a time.?

OR, do you mean spin.., literally..?

Flywheel (flexplate) bolts sheared off or a clean snap of the crank...

OP
OP
Y

Yos117

Reaction score
HI bob,

It is the automatic. I mean I can literally spin the flywheel (the same way as the starter motor does). Thats what my thought was, I was just wondering if anybody had any other ideas before I tear it apart. 

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Actually I am refering to "spinning" literally..., meaning  Let go & it keeps turning.

I assume you mean you can move it by hand with some effort.

Did you try turning the crank via the large pulley nut to see if the eng. rotates freely..?

OP
OP
Y

Yos117

Reaction score
I was spinning it with my finger. Maybe if I spun it hard enough it would keep spinning. It felt like it was spinning on something. Also If the bolts broke wouldn't the flywheel just be resting on the bottom of the bell housing?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I was hoping one of our auto trans. experts would chime in..(that's not me).. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The input shaft from the transmission goes into the engine.

If the flexplate (In an automatic)  (flywheel in a stick) was loose, It would still  remain in place.

I would think there would be bolt parts in the bellhousing.

Couldn't you get any info. fr. the previous owner...?

Maybe it was assembled & someone forgot to bolt up the flexplate.

Quite the mystery..., do let us know what you find..!!! >:D< <'>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke