Ford F-250 axel on Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lotus

Reaction score
Hi! Greetings from Norway!

I have put on som 35" on my Bronco.

My axels are stock: Axelcode 19.  3.55 ratio. So it doesn't run very well uphill.

Since it so expensive regearing the axels

i have found a cheap Ford F-250 for sale with axelcode c5. According to this website

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ford-axle-code-chart/ 

this is a axel with 4.10 ratio and LSD diff. (rear). 

Can i use the axels from this F-250 on my 88 Bronco?? If i can, is it bolt on?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Lotus,

Maybe if you give a bit more information as to usage. Meaning what type of "uphill"..?  Dirt or highway..?

Percentage on/off highway, etc.

With 35's ..., 411's  may not be low enough.  456's may serve you better.

OP
OP
L

Lotus

Reaction score
Highway driving mostly. It feels ok, but it needs al little more acceleration power.... I have heard the best with 35" is 4,56, but 4,11 is better then 3,55 right??

Anyway.. Can i use the axels from the 250 F series same model year as my Bronco??

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yep.., 411's would be somewhat better.   You likely know you can't use 4x4 after changing just the rear axle/ratio.

As to fitment, that's by me but as a guess.., I would think it can be done.

M5 likely has the spec's  on a swap such as this.

OP
OP
L

Lotus

Reaction score
Yes! i have to change both axels. One of my problems will be that the F- 250 has 8 wheel lug pattern and my Bronco have only 6........

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Lotus;

What year F 250 are the axles from?

Is it the 10.25 rear? as described and shown below?

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by dieseldave

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

10.25-Inch Ring Gear.gif

10.25 Installation in a 90

Source: by flamedfordbronco (Frank H) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140480

The Ford limited slip differential option is available on F-250 and F-350 vehicles with 10.25-inch ring gear rear axles.

The limited slip assembly, except for the differential case (4204) and its internal components, is identical to the conventional rear axle (4001). The limited slip differential (4026) employs two sets of multiple-disc clutches to control differential action. The side gear mounting distance is controlled by 10 clutch plates and one Belleville spring plate. The differential clutch pack consists of two plate designs: a splined clutch plate that engages the splines of the side gear hub, and alternate-tabbed or stationary clutch plates.

Each differential clutch pack is premeasured for proper stack height. Do not separate differential clutch packs and intermix the clutch plates and clutch discs.

==========

And is front the Dana 60?

dana6050.jpg

dana6050.jpg

DANA 60"\:

Installation in an 86 (SAS)

Source: by John B (Swamp Donkey) at

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=75&s=13658#content

Installation in an 88 (SAS)

Source: by Reptillikus (Kevin W) at http://4x4.forensick.net/88bronco/images/gallery.php?imagedir=dana60 Kevin wrote;; "So not long after i snapped the first D60 in half, i called up my buddy Eric (of EMS Offroad) to see what he could do for me. After discussing it, we decided that building a housing would be better in the long run, than just swapping another stock one in, so thats what we did.

The axle is built to match the specs of a 78-9 Ford D60, with a few little improvements. The center section is a Currie Rock Jock center section, which in addition to having an extra 3/4" of ground clearance thanks to the rotated diff cover, also sports a bigger pinion seal and larger outer pinion bearing. The pinion angle was rotated up 5º to help improve the driveshaft angle. The axle tubes are new 3.5" DOM machined to fit the Superduty diff seals. The knuckles & Cs are stock pieces with some added material in key places. We used CAGE Offroad's weld-on brackets instead of the traditional c-bushings, and set them up to keep the same caster i was running on the old axle. And then of course after everything was welded up, we trussed it. Unfortunately the ARB was bent when the housing broke, so a new ring-side case half had to be ordered in from Australia in order to fix it, altho everything else internally was fine. Mix in a new long-side inner shaft, and ive now got a complete, almost-ready-to-bolt-in custom D60 for the truck! All i did was add in the lower tracbar & hydro-assist mounts, and the swap was done!"

Installation in an 89 (SAS)

Source: by Andrew K (Andy351, das panzer, sloppy seconds, the magic carpet) at http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=2318&s=19678

===

Also; "...Ford built our Broncos & other 4x4 trucks & vans with a numerically lower front gear ratio in the front Dana 44 than the rear so that off-road steering is enhanced. A Bronco built with 3.55 rear ratio would have a 3.54 ration in the front Dana 44; or; 3.08 in the 8.8 & 3.07 in the Dana 44; or 4.11 in the 8.8 & 4.10 in the Dana 44, etc..."; Following was in my MS WORD Notes and the source, Randy's Ring & Pinion has removed it from their current web site; The gear ratio in the front of a four wheel drive has to be different from the front so the front wheels will pull more. There have been many different ratio combinations used in four-wheel drive vehicles, but not so that the front will pull more. Gear manufactures use different ratios for many different reasons. Some of those reasons are: strength, gear life, noise (or lack of it), geometric constraints, or simply because of the tooling they have available. I have seen Ford use a 3.50 ratio in the rear with a 3.54 in the front, or a 4.11 in the rear with a 4.09 in the front. As long as the front and rear ratios are within 1%, the vehicle works just fine on the road, and can even be as different as 2% for off-road use with no side effects. point difference in ratio is equal to 1%. To find the percentage difference in ratios it is necessary to divide, not subtract. In order to find the difference, divide one ratio by the other and look at the numbers to the right of the decimal point to see how far they vary from 1.00. For example: 3.54 ÷ 3.50 = 1.01, or 1%, not 4% different. And likewise 4.11 ÷ 4.09 = 1.005, or only a 1/2% difference. These differences are about the same as a 1/3" variation in front to rear tire height, which probably happens more often than we realize. A difference in the ratio will damage the transfer case. Any extreme difference in front and rear ratios or front and rear tire height will put undue force on the drive train. However, any difference will put strain on all parts of the drivetrain. The forces generated from the difference have to travel through the axle assemblies and the driveshafts to get to the transfer case. These excessive forces can just as easily break a front u-joint or rear spider gear as well as parts in the transfer case.

Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar