Throttle Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
I  have a 1989 Bronco 5.0L AOD, the past week the engine would rev up and down on its own and  idle high. I figured it’s the tps sensor, when I tested it(with digital multi meter grounded to the battery I used a needle stabed through wire so I could get good reading) I was getting 32 MV at idle and it would jump around when I move the throttle, when I tested the orange wire I got 5 volts, and when I tested the green wire (red wire from meter to positive on battery and ground at wire)I only got 8 volts. So is it the TPS or something else? and the motor will some times feel like its low on power and have hesitation and when I step on the gas to pass or drive up a steep hill the engine hesitates  and there are no check engine lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Ryan,

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

Some basics;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

TPSTesting in 5.0 & 5.8; "...Symptoms of a BAD TPS: The one thing that you can definitely count on, when the TPS fails, is the Check Engine Light shining nice and bright to let you know that there's a Diagnostic Trouble Code stored in the Fuel Injection Computer. Here are some specific symptoms you'll see: 1.TPS Diagnostic Trouble Codes: (DTC’s) stored in the vehicle’s computer’s memory. Code 23: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Performance Problem. Code 53: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit High Input. Code 63: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input. Code 121: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Performance Problem. Code 122: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input. Code 123: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit High Input. 2.Really BAD gas mileage. 3.No power as you accelerate the vehicle. 4.Hesitation when you step on the Accelerator Pedal. There are times when the ECM (Electronic Control Module = Fuel Injection Computer) will think the TPS has failed when it hasn't. This usually happens when the ECM spits out several Diagnostic Trouble Codes at once.. and so what will save you time, money and the frustration of replacing good parts, is to test the Throttle Position Sensor..." READ MORE

Source: by http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/throttle-position-sensor-tests-1

Lotus

Reaction score
I had a problem with my TPS sensor. It came up on the KOER codes. Its the easy way to test it. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke