1995 BRONCO TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FRUSTRATED-TOM

Reaction score
At wits end here and in need of help. 1995 5.8 Automatic w/OD 115K. Transmission was completely rebuilt with new torque converter. All sensors, MLPS etc replaced. Here is the problem from day one...Shifts and runs fine sometimes, then out of the blue she will high rev and begin to slip in and out of gear while driving and accelerating. Park it for a day and run the pi$$ out of it and it may be fine for awhile then starts all over again. The tranny shop checks codes, finds errors and replaces soleniod blocks spead sensors etc again. Runs fine for them for a few days as a thier parts runner. I pick it up a third time and it's starts all over again. There is also a slight engine miss that shows up intermittently about the time the tranny takes a dump as well. Tranny guys says the only thing left is the computer and wants to replace that next. He's been doing this for 30+ years so I would think he knows something. Could it be the computer??

I would hate to start all over again at another shop as I am in the hole almost 2K with this place.

Thanks for any help,

Tom

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Tom,

I feel your pain! Could be the computer. I would tell the tranny shop that you would pay for the computer if it fixes the problem, and only if it fixes the problem.

Just a thought here, but many times weird problem show up because of bad grounds.

Hope this helps.

good luck

OP
OP
F

FRUSTRATED-TOM

Reaction score
Thanks for your response Commander - I am only a weekend warrior wrencher but have suspected an electrical ghost from the start. I will mention the bad ground thing to the tranny guy but I wouldn't know where to start after checking the battery to block. After that, I'm lost as I'm very week on electrical stuff. Could a bad ground anywhere be suspect or only a ground specific to the transmission be suspect?

Thanks,

Tom

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Tom,

Grounds to the body and frame to body ground would be my starting points. But it isn't unusual for the battery to engine ground to be an issue. I believe M5, and BullyBob have the diagrams for finding all the grounds.

You do have the battery to body pig tail connected, don't you? A lot of times they get cut off.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Tom,

WELCOME!

We'll begin w/Grounds as Ron advised;

1995 Ford  Bronco 5.8

by http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd  This site also has TSBs

Ground pdf http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=9877

Page 2 shows G104 for PCM (Powertrain Control Module (aka  EEC, Computer for engine & transmission controls)

Page 3 shows Transmission Range (TR) Sensor (AKA Manual Lever Position (MLPS) ) to Splice S102 that is in Engine control sensor harness, near T/O to brake warning resistor/diode assembly.  See Wiring Diagram in a 95 Bronco; from Ford EVTM by Ryan M  below in 2nd diagram  (no grounds shown)

& FYI E4OD Wiring Diagrams in a 95 by Ryan M;  Bronco similar (no grounds shown)

http://web.archive.org/web/20101201004715/http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/bronco_1995_30-1.gif

http://web.archive.org/web/20101201004841/http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/bronco_1995_30-2.gif

Locations & Components in a 96 (95 similar);

G101 front of engine compartment, front of fender apron (D1) - RH = Passenger side mine has 2 small black wires between starter relay & headlight; this is #5 in the diagram;

G100 & G104 (tied together in diagram); G100 @ LH front of engine compartment on upper radiator support;

G104 @ Rear of LH fender apron near hood hinge and 4WABS Test Connector (RED);

G100 Serves Component, LH Oxygen Sensor, Fuel Pump Module, Inertia Fuel Shutoff, Misfire Sensor, Misfire Sensor Shield, Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.0L;

G101 Serves, RH Oxygen Sensor

G104 Serves Component: 4WABS Control Module, 4WABS Data Link Connector, 4WABS Relay #1, Instrument Cluster, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.8L, Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM), Trailer Relay Box;

G103 (battery to engine) Lower RH front of engine serves Component, 4WABS Pump Motor, Battery, Data Link Connector (DLC), Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.0L, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.8L, Right Front Park/Turn Lamp, Right Front Side Marker Lamp Right Headlamp;

G201 Behind bottom of LH cowl panel (driver's side kick panel) Component, Compass/Outside Temperature Module, Day/Night Mirror, Inside Cargo Lamp, Left Power Lumbar Compressor Motor, Outside Cargo/High Mount Stop Lamps, Right Power Lumbar Compressor Motor, Seat Belt Switch, Door Lock Actuator (PDL & Probably Power Window Motor);

G200 Behind bottom of RH cowl panel serves Component, Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor, Electronic Shift Control Module (Transfer Case), Instrument Cluster, Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM), Remote/Keyless Entry Module, Speed Control Servo/Amplifier Assembly;

G103 (battery to engine) Lower RH front of engine serves Component, 4WABS Pump Motor, Battery, Data Link Connector (DLC), Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.0L, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.8L, Right Front Park/Turn Lamp, Right Front Side Marker Lamp, Right Headlamp;

G400 Rear Window Defroster @ LH rear corner of cargo area, near rear lamp assembly; Engine Block pic in a 94 5.8; "...The black battery wire goes from the front bolt of the engine mount (on the block) to this tab & up to the battery post, where a smaller black wire goes to the core support, providing a continuous ground path between the engine, frame, battery, & body; Frame & Battery pic in a 93; "...With the wheelwell gone, it's easy to inspect the frame ground, just inboard of the spring tower on top of the frame rail. The battery ground cable is stripped ~3/4" and a tab is soldered on so it can be bolted to the frame; Intake Manifold to Block Strap Location in a 96 5.0 is between 2nd & 3rd plugs on passenger side.

SEE  PICS & Diagrams
Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums  http://broncozone.com/topic/20952-loose-

Check Engine Light (CEL) come on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the CEL does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning.  Is CEL on while driving?
If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that bulb is burnt-out or loose, socket was damaged by PO or shop, etc. or someone removed it, which does happen, unfortunately.

Same for Amber ABS lamp in Instr Panel.. The 4-wheel anti-lock brake system in 93-96 is self monitoring. When the ignition switch is placed in the RUN position, the anti-lock brake electronic control module will perform a preliminary self check on the anti-lock electrical system indicated by a momentary illumination of the amber ABS warning light in the instrument cluster. During vehicle operation, including normal and anti-lock braking, the anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors all electrical anti-lock functions and some hydraulic operations.
Is ABS light on while driving?

Is the  speedometer (electronic Programmable Speedometer/Odometer) working ok?  No jumping around like a flea in-heat or off MPH?

Is the Transmission Control Switch (TCS) and Lamp at end of shifter blinking while driving?

Cruise Control (if equipped) is inop? (BTW, there is a Recall for the CC deactivation switch mtd on Master Cylinder; can cause a FIRE!  even if engine is off; call local dealer, have VIN ready)

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?&pid=74587&mode=threaded

Some basics;

Take your time, have a helper ready to assist; my much better-half oversees all my work...
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic).

Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:
 KOEO
 &
 KOER

The shop could pull the PCM and inspect for;

Capacitor Repair in a 90 5.8
Source: by seedpress (dolittle) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/topic/20788-fuel-delivery-problem/

Next is FYI to help communications with the shop;

Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

Transmission Electronic Control System

Electronic System Description
The following pages provide a brief description of each of the sensors and actuators used with the E4OD transmission. The function of each of these components and the associated symptoms and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are also given.

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj71a10.htm#extract_995

It is for a 96, but same for your 95 except for any OBD II (EEC-V) info and that isn't an issue now.

SIGNIFICANT EXCERPTS:

On vehicles equipped with gasoline engines, the operation of the E4OD automatic transmission is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM, EEC, Computer). Many input sensors provide information to the powertrain control module, which then controls the actuators that affect transmission operation.

Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM):   Description: The programmable speedometer/odometer module receives input from the rear brake anti-lock sensor, which is mounted on the rear axle differential housing. The PSOM processes this input signal information and relays it to the powertrain control module and the speed control module. This signal tells the powertrain control module the vehicle speed in miles per hour (mph). Used as an input in determining shift scheduling and electronic pressure control. Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule, unexpected downshifts may occur at closed throttle, abnormal torque converter clutch operation or engages only at wide-open throttle (WOT). May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 452

Transmission Control Switch (TCS) and Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL):   Description: The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module. The powertrain control module then energizes the transmission control indicator lamp and the coast clutch solenoid, applying the coast clutch to provide engine braking and cancels fourth gear operation. The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing). Sensor: Transmission Control Switch. Symptoms: No overdrive cancel when switch is cycled. Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 632, P1780, tested during Key On Engine Off (KOEO) On-Board Diagnostic only. Actuator: Transmission Control Indicator Lamp. Symptoms: Failed on — overdrive cancel mode always indicated, no flashing for electronic pressure control circuit shorted. Failed off — overdrive cancel mode never indicated, no flashing for electronic pressure control circuit shorted, also may be due to a bad fuse. Erratic operation (flashing) may be due to a wiring concern.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 631,

Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 9B989:   Description: The throttle position sensor is a potentiometer that is mounted on the throttle body on gas applications and on the fuel injection pump lever on diesel applications. The throttle position sensor detects the position of the throttle plate or lever and sends this information as a voltage signal to the powertrain control module. If a malfunction occurs in the throttle position sensor circuit, the powertrain control module will recognize that the throttle position sensor signal is out of specification. The powertrain control module will then operate the E4OD transmission at a higher line pressure to prevent transmission damage. This high line pressure causes harsh upshift and engagements. Used as an input to determine shift scheduling and electronic pressure control. Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule, abnormal or no torque converter clutch operation. May flash transmission control indicator lamp. Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 167

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) 9E731:   Description: The vehicle speed sensor is a variable reluctance sensor that sends an AC/frequency signal to the powertrain control module. The vehicle speed sensor signal is used by the powertrain control module to calculate vehicle speed in mph. Used as an input in determining shift scheduling and electronic pressure control. Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule; unexpected downshifts may occur at closed throttle, abnormal torque converter clutch operation or torque converter clutch engages only at wide-open throttle. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 452

Transmission Range (TR) Sensor 7A247:   Description: The powertrain control module sends voltage to the Transmission Range (TR) sensor. The TR sensor incorporates a series of step-down resistors which act as a voltage divider. The powertrain control module monitors this voltage which corresponds to the position of the gearshift selector lever (P, R, N, (D), 2 or 1). The powertrain control module uses this information to determine the desired gear and electronic pressure control pressure. The TR sensor is located on the outside of the transmission at the gearshift selector lever. Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel. Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 634, 654, 667, 668

Seabronc

Reaction score
While you are checking the ground cables, check the condition of the lug connection to the cable.  If there is any corrosion, replace the cable.  Also, make sure to disconnect the ground cable and clean the lug and the point of contact.  When you reconnect the ground, you can cover the area with a small amount of silicone grease to keep moisture off it.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
F

FRUSTRATED-TOM

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am eternally grateful for your input. If my OJ Mobile would have been here with me I would have been all over this today but it's at the shop. I have printed this out and will take to the shop Monday morning on my way to work. I don't expect to bruise any egos with this info as I saw the frustration when I picked it up on Friday only to bring it back to them again 15 minutes later. They actually thanked me for being patient and not a **** head as some customers can be. I prayed for their wisdom at Mass this morning...

Be assured that I will file a full report back here on the outcome of this nightmare whether good or bad.

Thanks again,

Tom

I shoulda kept my 87 Bronco. Sold it in 2001 with over 220k and it's still on the road today...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Tom,

When I was away a few years ago our local mechanic ("Agent 007", a national drag racer who still holds a record) could not determine why the 96 was shifting erratically at speed, PSOM was jacking around, etc.  All he had was the Chilton & Haynes books and no wiring diagrams for the 96 or the Ford Bronco Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM/PCED-Powertrain Controls and Emission Diagnosis Manual) for Pin-Point Tests.  He was a **** at setting up carbs and gearing and other mechanical work.

GL!

OP
OP
F

FRUSTRATED-TOM

Reaction score
Update...

The OJ Mobile came home on Friday with a new (aftermarket) computer (no charge) and is running very well so far. No misses, hesitations and is shifting well although I haven't driven too far or have beaten on it yet (I'm still spooked). I did take it fishing Sunday and we got two small snook and a couple of very nice trout...

Past Monday I took all of the info you gave me about ground issues to the tranny guy. He said that he had already went all over the grounds but would look over the info and grounds again and thanked me for info.

They pulled the old computer and cracked the case and it showed some nasty things. So they replaced it.  I was also told that the bad computer cooked my tranny in the first place. But ( here is my confusion) the tranny crapped out exactly the same before the rebuild as after the rebuild. Did it really need rebuilt? (they said it was cooked so I have to trust them) Opinions anyone?...

Needless to say, OJ got the needed spa treatment this weekend. Full tank, wash, wax, oil change, grease job and ten point inspection by "Tom the village idiot". Next weekend is plugs, wires and distributor.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for the help.

Tom

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Tom,

Good!

Hopefully, the Bronco will be ok.

As for the E4OD being toast twice & FOR FUTURE CHECKS, any idea of fluid:

color (should be red, not brown or black

odor (such as burnt toast) may indicate overheating condition, clutch disc or band failure. Use an absorbent white facial tissue and wipe the fluid level indicator. Examine the stain for evidence of solid particles and for engine coolant signs (gum or varnish on dipstick),

leakage,

overfilled,

venting at dipstick tube or trans vent (atop transmission, see

129 7034 Vent Assembly — Case

at http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj71a03.htm

Some install Vent Line Extensions to the E4OD, Dana 44, 1356 transfer case to prevent water from entering the component in floods or beach runs, etc.; such as  by 96broncoman at top-of-e4od-with-extended-breather-line.jpg

or foaming? 

High or Low Fluid Level;

A fluid level that is too high may cause the fluid to become aerated due to the churning action of the rotating parts of the transmission. Aerated fluid will cause erratic control pressure, that may result in harsh/soft shifts or engagements, damage to the clutch materials, improper torque converter operation, and the aerated fluid may be forced from the vent (7034). If fluid level is high, excess fluid MUST be removed.

96 E4OD Fluid Level Diagram 1.gif

96 E4OD Fluid Level Diagram 2.gif

A fluid level that is too low will affect transmission operation, such as: slipping, slow engagements, damage to internal hardware. Low level may indicate fluid leaks that may cause transmission damage. If fluid level is low, refer to the following procedure.

Fluid Change — Drain/Refill

Normal maintenance and lubrication requirements do not necessitate periodic automatic transmission fluid changes. If a major service, such as a clutch, band, bearing, etc., is required in the transmission, it will have to be removed for service. At this time, the converter, transmission cooler and cooler lines must be thoroughly flushed to remove any contamination

Road Testing Vehicle

Read @ http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj71a13.htm#extract_1004

​

Visual Inspection
 This inspection will identify modifications or additions to the vehicle operating system that may affect diagnosis.

Inspect vehicle for non-Ford approved add-on devices such as:

• Air conditioning
  • Generators (alternators)
  • Engine turbos
  • Cellular telephones
  • Cruise controls
  • CB radios
  • Linear boosters
  • Backup alarm signals
  • Computers

Attachments

• 96 E4OD Fluid Level Diagram 1.gif
    96 E4OD Fluid Level Diagram 1.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 96 E4OD Fluid Level Diagram 2.gif
    96 E4OD Fluid Level Diagram 2.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 4

sinker4

Reaction score
I struggled with this for a long time and it turned out to bad solder connections on the PSOM, part of the instrument cluster. I sent the cluster to a speedo shop in Florida and the truck shifts fine. search for info on Bronco or f150 PSOM problems. Programmable, speed omitter module 

sinker4

Reaction score
I have a 95 EB 5.0 with a e4od trans. The trans would all if a sudden shift hard and bang, OD light would flash. and the engine would knock. I tried replacing all the sensors, checked the wiring harness for shorts and finally read a wright up on the P.S.O.M ( programmable, speedometer, odometer, module) it part of the instrument cluster. I sent the cluster to a speedometer shop in Florida, they rebuilt it and the truck has been fine ever since. Google PSOM

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke