79 bronco will turn over but wont fire up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thesearemyshoes

Reaction score
ok so I got my bronco about 7 months ago, since ive got it there have been a few problems here and there but nothing too serious. the past week its been a little sketchy when shes been on. running a little sluggish and altogether not as strong as 2 weeks ago but I haven't messed with anything that might cause it.

since ive got her ive put in a remanufactured motorcraft 2100 carb, ignition coil, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and distributor rotor.

I had a buddy of mine turn her over while I held a ***** driver into the distributor end of the spark plug wire that runs from the ignition coil to distributor and didn't see any spark. so im thinking its a wiring problem but I don't know anything about wiring so tonight ill be looking at diagrams and stuff online. tomorrow ill go see what I can see but if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Elmo

Reaction score
Confirm that you actually have fuel, remove coil wire at dist insert a known good plug contact said plug to intake or other suitable grounded METAL and have some one spin the engine useing the key while you watch the plug for signs spark. If there are no signs of sparkyou will need to check to be sure you have 12 volts on the + wire attatched to the coil. If you have 12v at the + wire. but youhave no spark when spinning the engine over. Connect your test light clip to the pos side of the coil put the probe end of the test light on the neg side of the coil. Have someone spin the engine over while you observe the test light. It should blink this indicates that the pickup inside the dist is working. If all of this comes out as explained then you have a bad coil

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
What Elmo said.., in addition,

"I held a ***** driver into the distributor end of the spark plug wire that runs from the ignition coil to distributor and didn't see any spark"

Some part of the screwdriver shaft has to be real close to "ground" (eng. block, etc.) to create a spark.

It's easier to use the spark plug end of a spark plug wire.., insert the screwdriver in the boot then hold the screwdriver shaft close to the block, exh. manifold, etc.  That's where you should see a spark.

"its been a little sketchy when shes been on. running a little sluggish and altogether not as strong as 2 weeks ago"

This has the "earmarkings" of a bad module..., but just a guess.

Elmo

Reaction score
I have seen a guy do that ***** driver thing with his finger too close to the shaft of the screwdriver. That one is always good for a laugh.

Seabronc

Reaction score
These diagrams may help you if you have a Duraspark II Ignition or EEC Ignition.  Attached fictures include a way to isolate the problem, don't shotgun it, isolate it..

Good luck,

:)>-

PG18.jpg

PG20.jpg

PG23.jpg

PG24.jpg

PG25.jpg

PG26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bond189

Reaction score
its most likely the brain box on the driver side inner fender little aluminum box with to two plugs ive replaced tons of them most of the time they go bad because they are not grounded very good I run a ground wire of my battery over to the self tapping ***** that holds the box on

warpigs

Reaction score
When you did your cap and rotor did you also do your points if not try that if so did you guys set them right 

Archi831

Reaction score
I had a problem with my 78 cutting out and wouldn't kick back over some times. Then it started becoming more frequent . I New it had to be in the ignition system. Coils really don't go out, they eather work or they don't. Well that's at least my experance. So I New it wasn't the coil, or the distributor or wires becuse its all New. The only thing that wasn't was the ignition box. I swapped it out and I have been trouble free since. I would swap out the box, I got one from Napa for 38.00 . well good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickyb571