Mass Airflow Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

husmann

Reaction score
It's finally time to build my 93' Bronco XLT 5.8L.  I plan on getting a remanufactured engine because I really do not have the time or equipment/shop/tools to do an engine rebuild.  The biggest issue is how much can I mod this engine in light of the speed density system and non-programable ECM?  From what I understand, you can do some bolt-ons and perhaps a light cam, but anything more will not work with the stock ECM.  A buddy of mine said that you can convert to a mass airflow system and then do whatever mods you want.  In my reading through this forum, I have not come across anyone who has done this in my generation Bronco.  I can't find any info on Mass Airflow Conversion here.

My specific question for this post:  Can this generation be converted to Mass Airflow?

If so, is it even worth doing?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo husman,

WELCOME!

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion & Parts List with Cost in a 93 F150, 5.0, E4OD; "...For this article, I will be doing a 93 Ford F-150, 5.0, E4OD trans. Because they don't make a kit for this, I will be re-wiring the harness, and using a PCM and MAF out of a 95 f-150, 5.0, E4OD. If you have a truck with a non-electronic Trans, like the old AOD's, or C-6's, etc, you can use a MAF conversion kit..." Read More
Source: by Mike C at

http://web.archive.org/web/20101008161856/http://www.eecperformance.com/mafconversion.html

EEC Connector Pin Outs LEGEND, Bronco & Ford Truck : 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8; by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at
http://web.archive.org/web/20131029020805/http://oldfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html
Use the column marked;

302/351

Truck

Van 

Bronco

Mass

Air

===========

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion for Bronco & F 150; "...To convert SD trucks with E4OD/AODE transmissions to MAF, some people use the CA 5.8 MAF/E4OD (F5TF-12A650-BYA). Mike Wesley says he uses the F5TF-12A650-HB (95 CA 5.0 MAF/E4OD) on a 750+ HP daily driver 415 stroker Lightning with a Vortech S trim. It runs open loop, has been reprogrammed, drives like stock, gets 17 MPG and will run low 10’s at 130+ in the 1/4 mile and A/C and cruise work great. Both of these EEC’s are set to use 4.10 gears. If a smaller ratio is used, say 3.55, you could use the F5TF-12A650-GB. There are probably 15-20 EEC’s available to convert a SD (later model) to MAF (some of these may compromise the ability to stay emissions legal). If you have an early SD truck with AOD, re-wire to the Mustang EEC (Ford MotorSport sells this kit). You’ll have to move/add quite a few wires, and you might not like the results if you’re not able to re-calibrate the EEC (like the Pro-M ’low cost’ kit, Kenne Bell, LCA and Downs Ford come pre-re-calibrated). The engine shuts down at 85 MPH, shifting is fairly sloppy and too early (at least on a Lightning). All Ford EECs shift poorly -- except for the Lightning, which is only slightly firmer. To use the Mustang EEC on a truck with an E4OD/AODE, you would need to run two EECs in parallel. The Mustang EEC runs the engine, the existing truck EEC controls the trans. Pro-M sells a kit like this..." READ MUCH MORE
Source: by Tom C via Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://web.archive.org/web/20110704105240/http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/eectch98.pdf

Validate that info applies to your 93 and not Mustangs from ~88-89

It is a pdf that my new pc can't seem to enlarge font.

============

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion for EFI in an 89 357W
Source: by Tim C

http://www.supermotors.org/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=1725&s=27217

OP
OP
husmann

husmann

Reaction score
miesk5,

Thanks for your voluminous and speedy input.  It is as I suspected.  After reading through your post and the links that you included, I am fully convinced that a Mass Airflow conversion is not something I really want to tackle.  In the meantime, I settled in on a bunch of bolt on mods that I think I will be really satisfied with and that will make my ride very street-able.  Also, I am almost at the point in the teardown when it is time to pull the engine.

At the same time, I would love to hear from any folks who have done the Mass Airflow conversion on this generation Bronc.

Thanks again,

Husmann

ants95bronco

Reaction score
I have a 95 with maf and I rebuilt my 302 and when I had it done and was going to stroke it out until the builders told me it wasnt possible without a after market computer which was over 2k just in parts. So basically I ended up doing like what u refered to. I had a 302 h.o. cam custom ground for low end torque and some mild head work done with double roller timing. I also put on factory 302 ** headers with a 3" high flow exhuast with a flowmaster. I also have 4.10 gears so between the mild engine mods and the gears uve been pleasantly impressed with the 5.0. My friend has a f-150 same year with the 351 and I pull his truck around with ease and with my truck In 4wheel low I can put it in first gear and let off the brake and gas and just let it idle while hes burning out trying to pull me and bouncing his axle. So I think even with the mild upgrade you'll be happy. Just make sure you do your research about who you ha e build it. I spent 4k on my 302 and it was built by chucks speed and rv shop in phx, az

ants95bronco

Reaction score
Oh fyi if you have a cali emissions truck forget about any upgrades. The motor wont run to its potential.

OP
OP
husmann

husmann

Reaction score
Hey ants95bronco,

Thanks for the heads up.  It's nice to know that you can still have a great truck without having a 600Hp racing engine in it.  I think in the long run I'll be much happier with basic bolt on mods and a very streetable truck that can still hang with just about anyone off-road.  For me, I have never had stock size tires (I now have 33's) and I have never changed the gearing in my difs, so I think just doing that will make a huge difference.  Some of the most fun I've had in my truck has been when I've put it in 4 low in the dirt, mud, or on gravel roads, because you get such nice throttle response and torque.  The gearing makes such a difference.

I plan on buying a rebuilt engine and swapping it out.  I've done enough research to know that there are a ton of shops that sell rebuilt engines, but I do not know if there are any that are a lot better than all the rest.  I was thinking about using the Engine Guy, because he is a veteran and a Texan like myself.  If anyone has a strong recommendation, let me know.

Thanks,

Husmann

fyreduck1921

Reaction score
Husmann,

I also have a 93 Bronco with a 351W. A couple of years ago, I looked into the mass air conversion, but, like you, didn't find enough information to be comfortable with moving forward. I have on occassion looked at various bolt ons like you have described here. Could you share the list of mods you have in mind, and the cam you have in mind?

Thanks,

Steve

OP
OP
husmann

husmann

Reaction score
fyreduck1921,

Here are some of my thoughts on bolt-ons and other mods for this generation Bronco with the Speed Density ECU:

Air Intake and Fuel Delivery:

1.  K&N Air Filter for stock box--have had this for years and like it; may keep it.

2.  Cold Air Intake--thought I was definitely going to do this, but not sure now; most of these systems do not have ducting for fresh air from the grill and do not use the stock intake ducts; therefore, they may get a little higher volume of air, but it is hot air from the engine compartment; Seabronc said it's not worth it and I think I agree.

3.  Higher flow injectors/adjustable fuel pressure regulator--I've decided because of the inability to change the computer, it is not worth messing with these things; I plan on getting my stock injectors rebuilt.

4  Throttle Body--not sure if any mods will make any difference, but doubt I will do anything with this; don't want CELs.

5.  Intake plenum--thought about getting the Edelbrock Performer intake plenum, but it looks more stupid than stock, and I kinda doubt it will give enough bang for the buck.

Heads:  I don't think any mods are worth doing because of the computer;  I'm getting the stock heads that come with the rebuilt engine.

Camshaft: I've read that you can do a very mild changed cam, but I am not sure if this is really worth it; I'm still trying to find someone with enough knowledge to help me decide this issue; I think I'll be fine with stock; we'll see.

Block/Crankshaft/Piston/etc.--all staying stock.

Exhaust:

1.  A few years ago I put on a high-flow cat, 3" single pipe, and Magnaflow muffler, and I love it; I will keep all of this, though I might remove the cat if it will not mess with the ECU/Smog/cause CELs.

2.  Already ordered JBA ceramic coated shorty headers; I think my exhaust mods will probably give me more gain than just about anything else (besides finally getting the right gearing in my difs).

Ignition:

1.  Already got MSD Distributor cap, rotor, and wires, and I'll keep these.

2.  Will probably do MSD coil.

3.  Considering new MSD Distributor and 6AL Ignition box, but not sure if these will be worth it.

Oil system:

1.  Getting Milodon oil pan, Milodon oil pickup, and Melling oil pump--I have often in the past had oil pickup problems when offroading, and would have my valves clattering badly; would have to stop, turn off engine, and let things settle, then keep going; I am doing these mods to prevent that problem; also, the increased capacity oil pan will keep the oil and engine temps a little lower.

2.  Plan on using synthetic oil in the new engine.

Cooling:

1.  Getting a Flowcooler water pump.

2.  Staying with stock radiator and fan setup; I don't think the horsepower gains from electric fans are worth it, plus I don't want to rely on electronics to keep my engine cool; I don't think there is any need for a "better" aftermarket radiator, as the stock is plenty effective.

Is that enough?  If anyone has any thoughts about what I've listed, or can answer any of my unresolved issues/questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Husmann

its_payden

Reaction score
I have a 100% stock 96 bronco XLT. It currently has a 302. The 302 in my bronco came with the mass air flow already, therefore I do no need to convert.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke